• Furman v Stetson

#90594  by FUTex
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:17 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:06 pm
I was just now able to tune into the game. From
the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?
Yeah, we were up 17-0 and a poster gave the Paladins an F+. Then we scored again and another poster upgraded us to a D. Now THAT is funny. Then the good results are attributed not to the Paladins, but it must be because Stetson (who is 2-0) must not be very good. Priceless.
Roundball, hypercycloid liked this
 #90595  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:31 pm
Roundball wrote:
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?
1. People want to complain.

2. Many think that football is a two quarter game and there is some unwritten win/loss recorded based on how fans feel before half time. They often overlook that the game is four quarters and the body blows delivered in the first half turn into haymakers in the second half.
FUATT liked this
 #90598  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:37 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?

2. Many think that football is a two quarter game and there is some unwritten win/loss recorded based on how fans feel before half time. They often overlook that the game is four quarters and the body blows delivered in the first half turn into haymakers in the second half.

Because 85 scholarship Ole Miss should be a closer game to 63 scholarship Furman. ITS MATH.

Than 60 scholarship Furman to ZERO SCHOLARSHIP Stetson. This team has NO SCHOLARSHIPS. .

20 scholarship difference led to 77-0. SIXTY SCHOLARSHIP DIFFERENCE is going to be less than that. .

MAIN THING is - as commented by our own OL Cole Neely - our OL looked like shiite in late first half. Kept getting beat by non scholarship players. And NUMEROUS PENALTIES - Neely commented on this too. Several Pass Interferences on SAME GUY. Even Tex said we went back to our “lawn chair” OL for a quarter or two. LOL
 #90599  by FUTex
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:43 pm
Is it my eyes or does the O line look better now than in mid-game? I think we need FUBear to give us a lesson on what in the Sam Hill is going on here.

Carson Jones looked really really sharp.
 #90600  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:47 pm
FUTex wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:43 pm
Is it my eyes or does the O line look better now than in mid-game? I think we need FUBear to give us a lesson on what in the Sam Hill is going on here.

Carson Jones looked really really sharp.
It seems to me that early in the game we were doing a lot of RPO/zone read and letting defenders get across our face or maybe holding the ball too long.

Later, Hedden started to pull it and find open receivers. We also seemed to do better with more of a man/power scheme than a zone scheme.

Stetson also has a couple of good players on its' defense. They aren't nobodies.
 #90601  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:

Because 85 scholarship Ole Miss should be a closer game to 63 scholarship Furman. ITS MATH.

Than 60 scholarship Furman to ZERO SCHOLARSHIP Stetson. This team has NO SCHOLARSHIPS. .

20 scholarship difference led to 77-0. SIXTY SCHOLARSHIP DIFFERENCE is going to be less than that. .

MAIN THING is - as commented by our own OL Cole Neely - our OL looked like shiite in late first half. Kept getting beat by non scholarship players. And NUMEROUS PENALTIES - Neely commented on this too. Several Pass Interferences on SAME GUY. Even Tex said we went back to our “lawn chair” OL for a quarter or two. LOL
No athletic scholarships.

There's a difference between no athletic scholarships and no scholarships.
gman84 liked this
 #90603  by Bootie
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:57 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:

It’s 48-7.
Last edited by Bootie on Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #90604  by Affirm
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:57 pm
1. Thankful that Furman won.
2. Stetson is the next-to-last team in Sagarin ratings of ALL D-1 teams. Will they drop 1 spot?
3. Will Furman drop a spot dues to not getting it to at least 49-0?
 #90606  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Hope we learned and improved. Our passing game and RPO looked nice. Running game was sketchy through 3 quarters.

Just used to old Furman strong OL and run. This is odd to me
 #90607  by gofurman
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:17 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:48 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Roundball wrote:

No athletic scholarships.

There's a difference between no athletic scholarships and no scholarships.
Then I was given incorrect information

I specifically asked earlier here about “grant in aid etc” earlier about Stetson and was told they had no scholarships - as in NO SCHOLARSHIPS. I addressed this - but what about “Grant in aid” - and was told they had ZERO scholarships for football.
Last edited by gofurman on Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #90608  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:19 pm
I thought Gavin Hall looked great, running behind our 2nd and 3rd team OL. And Stetson had many defensive starters still in the game.
gman84, hypercycloid, dornb liked this
 #90609  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:27 pm
My rapid reaction:

- It's good to get a win. Things looked a bit our of synch early, but righted ourselves and started to put it on them.

- Hedden makes some really impressive throws. He's going to be an excellent player for us.

- pass protection held up well. Much better than last week.

- Not sure what seems off in the run game. We seem to struggle a bit more with zone runs than with powers and counters. It's like we aren't getting to the second level to cut off the trailing linebackers.

- We are struggling on 50/50 balls in man coverage. I think we had at least three defensive pass interferences on balls just chunked in the air.

- It seems Stetson, like everyone, wanted to stuff the run and make us beat them throwing it. We were able to do that. Once the RPO game started working the offense started to really move.

- Ian Williams is a major weapon for us.

- Defense really got after them. The QB was banged around a bunch back there. We had three picks. Played a lot of guys.
dornb liked this
 #90610  by gman84
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:28 pm
gofurman wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:15 pm
Hope we learned and improved. Our passing game and RPO looked nice. Running game was sketchy through 3 quarters.

Just used to old Furman strong OL and run. This is odd to me
One of our Achilles heals the last several seasons has been our inability to connect on the long ball. We showed today how that can open up an offense. Teams have sold out to stop our run because we could not beat teams deep. I’m not saying that our offense is fixed. We have a lot of work to do, but we can see what is possible. I know that GF is always looking at the two deep, we only have 2 seniors on offense and 4 on defense that are listed as starters. We are young but the future is bright!
gofurman liked this