• Western Carolina

#92096  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:08 am
I'm sure we're all ready to move on from the UTC game. WCU comes to Greenville this week.

When watching WCU, I feel like their defense is improved this year, but they're still giving up over 200 yards on the ground per game. This used to be Roberto Feast Week. We'll see if Furman's rushing attack can make some improvements against WCU's rush defense.

Offensively they're still good, but I don't think they've been quite as explosive as they were last year. Not sure how much of that has to do with the tougher out of conference schedule or if they're just missing guys like Reid, Lee, and Kade Bell. They're still very dangerous. They can beat you with the high percentage short throws which have hurt us several times this year (CSU, UTC come to mind), but I would be surprised if they didn't test our corners deep. They did that a lot against us 2 years ago, but of course they were in catch up mode when Gonzales came into that game.

WCU's 2 deep: https://catamountsports.com/documents/2 ... Furman.pdf

Not a lot of changes from the first game of the year. Didn't look at every 2 deep but they've changed one starter on the o-line and a starting DT. Their starting WR's are a little different than they were to start the year as well.

For WCU, 11/25 current starters (including special teams - K, P, LS) are seniors. 6 are Juniors, so 17/25 are upperclassmen. Only 1 starter is a freshman. They have 4 transfer starters on offense (3 OL, TE) and 3 on defense (Ban, Rover, CB). I think they have around 23 on the roster. This is just for our resident WCU poster ;)

For Furman, 7/25 current starters are Seniors, granted 2 of those are Ian Willliams (K,P). Obviously there were a few more when the season started. 6 are juniors, so 13/25 starters are upperclassmen. 6 are freshmen. Not quite as skewed as I would have imagined, but a fair number of these guys weren't starters at the start of the year.

Just a few things to start talking about a game other than UTC...
 #92098  by gman84
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:17 am
Great call FUwolfpacker! We talk about the transfers that WCU takes...how about the job Bell is doing as OC for Pitt and the guys that followed him.
 #92101  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:13 am
gman84 wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:17 am
Great call FUwolfpacker! We talk about the transfers that WCU takes...how about the job Bell is doing as OC for Pitt and the guys that followed him.

To be fair, while they do have 23 transfers on the roster, I feel like WCU does still put heavy emphasis on HS recruiting, especially in South Florida. Adams and the newly returned Jalynn Willliams are certainly capable. Both had over 100 all purpose yards against the Citadel, but Reid was obviously a huge loss. He is a special player for sure.

I don't believe Pitt has had a super hard schedule, but it seems pretty clear that at least Bell and Reid have been huge additions for them. Reid is leading or near the lead in all purpose yards in the ACC I believe.
 #92102  by FUTex
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 11:19 am
When I think of Western I think of sitting in those cold stands of Cullowhee and one team dominating for three quarters only for the other to come back and win it in the final minute. I think of the 2021(?) game when we were up 2 TDs going into the fourth and lost by 1 point. Typical Western game. At least this one will be at home.

But I like Western Carolina. Its not simply a directional school; it's its own thing. There's a lot of cool things about Western (its a lot older and storied than one would think). They put 35 points on Montana. Yet I hate them too. They took our colors, and their mascot rivals ours for interest and fantasticality. And they beat us by one point. They're tricky.

This will be the game where our young guys come into their own. The line will be steadfast and the running game will emerge. Oh, how I pity those poor souls from Western this Saturday.
 #92106  by wcugrad95
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:07 pm
A couple of notes on our 2-deep. Don't really pay attention to who is listed as the starter at RB or any of the WR spots. It has been by committee and all of those guys will see lots of snaps. Cal Jones has been a really good player for a few years now, but he turned his ankle before the game last week and that is why he isn't listed as the starter. Jalynn Williams is back after not playing at all last year. He produced some good numbers 2 seasons ago in this offense, and gives us a 210+ pound option in short-yardage while still being a capable pass catcher.

On D we rotate a lot of guys now - more than last year, which was more than we did in previous seasons. We have given up a TON of yardage, but other than Montana and NC State it hasn't led to a whole lot of points. We lost the Campbell game primarily because of (tell me if you have heard this before) our O turning the ball over a ton of times and honestly putting our D in bad positions on more than 1 occassion. We also have gotten a few guys back from injury earlier in the year. I am hearing Ed Jones IV might make his first appearance of the season at Safety, and he is a guy we move around. Like Furman, we have also had some injuries (but not to the same degree you guys have).

Prior to the Citadel game, we had not been great in the redzone. So for Western to win more SOCON games we have to convert those trips, and honestly we need to do it with TDs instead of FGs. Cole has really started playing better tha past few games, but still his completion percentage has gone way up (on also having a lot of attempts), but his TDs are still low - particularly for a guy who had lots of 2+ TD games last year and set the WCU single-season record for TD tosses. He has a bunch of INTs this year, too. But I can remember at least 4 where it hit our guy in the hands and bounced up in the air. Sometimes the ball bounces the other way.

The only game we really tried to go over the top a lot was Montana, and it paid dividends. Tamarez had 8 catches for 229 yards and also drew a couple of PI calls, but oddly we kind of quit doing it. Both the NC State and Montana games were similar - we were a good team for 2.75 quarters and then kind of ran out of gas. I expect to see WCU to try and be very balanced in this game, but I do expect some mid-range passes in the middle of the field and at least a few shots over the top to test the FU backend.

I fully expect this to be a tough contest, especially @ Furman. I also expect the Paladins to have some offensive success regardless of who your QB is. The difference most likely will be which team bends but doesn't break - I can see both teams getting 400+ yards. And of course TOs and special teams plays (or blunders) could turn the tide in any game.

I'll try to refrain from adding more on your board. But if you have questions I'll try to answer them.
FUwolfpacker liked this
 #92107  by FUATT
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:52 pm
I kind of align with you all thinking we are going to come out and try to run it at Western. It makes a lot of sense.

This team is searching for a bit of identity on offense, and that identity at this point will probably center around what changes we can make and what those changes give us confidence we can execute. And after the issues in the last game with the turnovers, I expect we are going look for a heavy dose of run game and play action.

Fundamentally, UTC had the ball 37:19 and Citadel had it 37:46. Its going to be hard to win giving the other side that much more time. So I expect us to scheme up and make changes to find a way to be able to run the ball, come with play action off of that, and then take a shot here and there.

Western is a team that is inconsistent. This is a team that can hold a 4Q lead against NC State, and then turn around the next week and lose to Campbell, then be within a FG of Montana late in the 4th, then squeak by a bad Wofford team late in the 4th.

I think we want that close game. We want to even out TOP, keep it close, be in it late, and then have some Citadel-like heroics at the end and get the HOCO win. We should have a good crowd, great Fall weather. And Furman fights when our backs are against the wall.

I think we flush the Hurricane, the arrest/suspension stuff, the turnovers and all the garbage and put together a solid 4th Q and pull this out and have something to build on.
Last edited by FUATT on Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gman84 liked this
 #92108  by apaladin
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 12:59 pm
You know the old saying insanity is if you keep doing the same thing expecting different results, i.e. the running game. Throw the ball and use the entire field not just the sidelnes. One other thing stop with the alternate gear, stay with the classic.
Last edited by apaladin on Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #92110  by FUBeAR
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm
FUATT wrote:
I kind of align with you all thinking we are going to come out and try to run it at Western. It makes a lot of sense.

This team is searching for a bit of identity on offense, and that identity at this point will probably center around what changes we can make and what those changes give us confidence we can execute. And after the issues in the last game with the turnovers, I expect we are going look for a heavy dose of run game and play action.
I-formation veer option w/ a major in repetitive toss sweeps and timely back-breaking passes.

Sound good to anyone?
gman84, bj93 liked this
 #92111  by Davemeister
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:15 pm
I like it. Seeing us line up in the I at The Citadel brought tears to my eyes.
 #92115  by gman84
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:46 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FUATT wrote:

I-formation veer option w/ a major in repetitive toss sweeps and timely back-breaking passes.

Sound good to anyone?
The Oline needs to show up big time! What was that Randal Tex Cobb line? Something about "Boy, you just bought a big ole can of whoop ass!"
 #92116  by FUATT
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:05 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
FUATT wrote:

Sound good to anyone?
FUBeAR, I would not be surprised to see anything that helps us run the ball and run clock. More 2 back sets, some 2 TE stuff, etc.

I think we are gonna come at them. That's often what teams searching to find identity do, they just say well scratch, how bout we run home to mama and put two TE and a fullback out there and just drive it down your pie hole?

Of course, as sure as I say this we will come out empty and four wide with the TE split out too and play 7 on 7. I don't know. My thought here is based on the Time of Possession issue and the need to fix it. And a little on figuring that we have talented FR QB who needs a confidence boost (and we know what a QB best friend is).
 #92117  by The Jackal
 Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:33 pm
I'm just pleased that WCU thought they were going to have a team to remember last year and Furman just went up and beat the snot out of them in Cullowhee.

Recent Topics

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:25 pm

User avatar Preseaon Poll

by FU Hoopla

Wed Oct 16, 2024 4:24 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:38 pm

Default Avatar Western Carolina

by The Jackal

Wed Oct 16, 2024 2:33 pm

User avatar 10 Years Ago.....

by FU Hoopla

Wed Oct 16, 2024 10:31 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.