• POSITIVES From UTC

#91971  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:05 pm
I haven’t seen many positive posts. There were some definite positives.

We were looking to run better. We did

Better reads by OL at times.

Oh. Less penalties!!! That’s good.

These are things we need. Glad for the better run game and less penalties etc. Not sure how hard UTC was trying to stop us at the end but still

Also appreciated - though sucks we were in this position - UTC kneeling at the end. They ain’t Ole Miss ! Suck it Lane Kiffin

Oh and Ole Miss took another loss ! KARMA BABY. that might be the end of CFP for them. HA
 #91980  by AllTimeFU
 Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:44 pm
It will be interesting to see what changes happen on the two deep on the OL. I suspect we’ll see the same configuration we ended with. I still think we need to be experimenting. I seriously wonder and am concerned though, how many of the 5 (4 not including the left tackle) will return next year. If we have a second SoCon loss we better be getting playing time for the next wave of OL or we’ll be in a world of more hurt next year.
 #91982  by gofurman
 Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:19 pm
AllTimeFU wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:44 pm
It will be interesting to see what changes happen on the two deep on the OL. I suspect we’ll see the same configuration we ended with. I still think we need to be experimenting. I seriously wonder and am concerned though, how many of the 5 (4 not including the left tackle) will return next year. If we have a second SoCon loss we better be getting playing time for the next wave of OL or we’ll be in a world of more hurt next year.
AllTimeFU, I AGREE. I’ve been watching the OL since you posted about certain things that you noticed there. And the coaches have made a change or two. Some changes as you recommended !

Now if this weak running type OL continues another year then we really do have to look at recruiting and who is responsible. But - before anyone gets defensive of Coaches etc - let’s see what happens this year and into next year. Hopefully we improve and all is good !!!
 #91986  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:39 am
GF -you are a very positive person if you found anything positive about Saturdays beatdown. :lol:
 #91991  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 7:50 am
Not a lot to choose from, but Gavin Hall continues to impress with limited opportunities. Now that he's played 5 games and can no longer redshirt, I would like to see him get a few more touches each game. Doesn't have to be in the backfield if the concern is blocking. He looked good in space on that catch and run for 28 against UTC.
gofurman, AstroDin liked this
 #91997  by tim
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 8:51 am
Positives? Only one conference loss. Everybody has a loss except Mercer and WCU and they haven't played each other or us. It's still in front of us if we can figure things out
 #92001  by AllTimeFU
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:16 am
So true. I'm looking for us to go west coast offense with the occasional screen and draw. 3 wide, 4 wide, double tight end and both in routes. I don't recall much over the middle, quick slants, posts, crosser's, etc.. so much on the sideline and deep fly 50:50. We have the WRs with 1,3,19 and 0. I'm just looking for a game plan to puts those guys to work and doesn't rely on the OL moving bodies from point A to point B.
 #92002  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:22 am
apaladin wrote:
GF -you are a very positive person if you found anything positive about Saturdays beatdown. :lol:
right on.

well, my big 4 things to watch were:
RUN THE BALL better - slight win here. again, internet in and out. most of this may have been in the 4th quarter?? But we did at least hit the "4 yards per carry I have been hoping for"
STOP THE RUN - eh. not really
----
Less penalties - WIN. 4 penalties. I will take anything 6 or less this year.
less turnovers - LOSS. BIG LOSS. 5 turnovers given... none taken.. -5 RATIO. for the love of humanity. :D. There is no one on our schedule we can beat with even a -2 ratio or so. maybe VMI?

but I - and others - were complaining about the games with 9 and 10 penalties ! So, I wanted to come back and congratulate the team on 4 penalties for 27 yards. That's a huge improvement. We just need to combine that with the other items.
 #92004  by Davemeister
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:46 am
apaladin wrote:

The most positive thing about last Saturday's game is that it's over. Water under the bridge. Let's not allow the same thing to happen again this weekend.

Go Dins!
apaladin liked this
 #92005  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:50 am
I'll add a few more…
I thought #9 looked good at receiver—another big body but with some twitch.
Gavin Hall is a play-maker. I'd expect him to get more PT the rest of the way.
Carson Jones looked excellent. He looked good passing, and the read/run he made was outstanding.
The holding call that took away the long pass to Hinton - SUCKED!!!!

I also think we have two very promising linebackers: Herbert and Earl. They're going to make some mistakes, but I see a similar duo to last year in the making.
I think Marc Hernández stepped up - we need him.
We also have a good many PWOs out there, like Billy Lewis and Tanner Schuck.

With the injuries dog-piling — I wonder if we will see Trevor Short at Bandit, Malaki Dobbins at DE, and Bruce Knauber at NG. I think those red-shirts are coming off.
 #92006  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:53 am
I meant to add, do we see O'Dell and Gregorek too? To FuATT's point - we might need to get these youngsters some reps for next year.
FUATT liked this
 #92013  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:44 am
AstroDin wrote:
I meant to add, do we see O'Dell and Gregorek too? To FuATT's point - we might need to get these youngsters some reps for next year.

We have 5 games remaining and a potential, but unlikely, possibility of playing Samford.

At this point, the coaching staff will almost assuredly be trying to redshirt the offensive linemen. With the playoffs a dim possibility, we will probably see them start rotating in to get their 4 games worth before the end of the season.

Technically, we could return four of five offensive linemen next year, so we'll see whether we start mixing and matching combinations to see if anything works.
 #92016  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:10 pm
The Jackal wrote:

We have 5 games remaining and a potential, but unlikely, possibility of playing Samford.

At this point, the coaching staff will almost assuredly be trying to redshirt the offensive linemen. With the playoffs a dim possibility, we will probably see them start rotating in to get their 4 games worth before the end of the season.

Technically, we could return four of five offensive linemen next year, so we'll see whether we start mixing and matching combinations to see if anything works.

This is exactly where I’m at as well. We’ll see them but not for more than the 4 games. Protection has been an issue at times so I doubt we’d want to subject Jones or Hedden to wholesale changes of freshmen on the O-line.

I was looking at some participation numbers today. Seems as though Javaris Jones and Daco Coleman have both played 4 games. Another snap for either of them burns their redshirt. Something to keep an eye on I suppose.
 #92017  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
AstroDin wrote:

Agree that we should not burn a redshirt for a fifth game. Just not enough games left. Play em 4 games but don’t burn a redshirt for one extra game.

Will be interesting to see if we do rotate even more youngsters for future development. I doubt it vs Western. I mean play our best guys. If we win v WCU then keep playing the best most experienced guys.

EDIT. POSTED SAME TIME AS FUWOLFPACKER
AllTimeFU liked this
 #92018  by Paladin91
 Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:19 pm
The UTC game was painful to watch, as most games have been this season. Not sure I've seen such an unproductive running game since the latter days of Lamb's tenure. I realize this is a young OL group, but we need to see significant progress in that group over the remainder of the season. Gavin Hall was a standout in terms of running the ball - feed him the ball more. Our secondary continues to give up yards with blown coverages. I expect better play on both sides of the ball as the year advances, but we are clearly not a playoff team this year. Hopefully we will get a decent recruiting class to help with next year. We are a couple of years away - that's the reality.