• HONEST guess... Furman v UTC score

#91823  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:02 am
My - granted, probably dumb - rules.

Who is closest to the ACTUAL SCORE?

Example. Must Give me score of both teams
Say the real score is Furman 40, UTC 20

One guy says 'I guess Furman 40 and UTC 10.
Guy two guesses 'Furman 37 and UTC 17. Guy TWO wins as his combined miss was by 6 points (off 3 on Furman and off 3 on UTC ). Despite guy one impressively hitting the Furman score exact his total “miss margin” was by 10 as he was off 10 on UTC

To be eligible for the prestigous :D win you must correctly pick the winning team
I’ll start with a guess of UTC 24, Furman 13. UTC looks top 2 in SoCon to me.

What do you all say? Let’s see who gets closest !
 #91824  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:04 am
PRIOR winners of the "award" -

Our prior winners were-
AllTimeFU won the First week. Great job !
Affirm grabs Willam and Mary week - good deal !
FUTex is indeed the winner of Citadel week. His ability to read the spirit world leaves us all in awe. He wins Citadel week.

Do we get a new winner or can one of these guys repeat !
AllTimeFU has some magic and Tex works with the spirit world. It will be tough to beat these 3 dudes !
 #91826  by Affirm
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 9:57 am
Affirm says
Furman 26
Chattanooga 29
No magic, no “spirit world”
Just honest.
Go Furman. Prove affirm way wrong with your win over Chattanooga. Affirm does not wish for his prediction to be correct, but it is an honest prediction.
 #91828  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:56 am
I've watched Chatty several times this season. It's a typical Chatty team—solid, excellent defense; the offense won't typically light you up. Clay and Rusty seem to know each other well and have a lot of respect for each other.

My gut, or maybe my heart, says Furman turned a corner, beating the Dogs in Chucktown. Our coaches did an excellent job adjusting and we have the players to carry out those adjustments.

If Furman can keep this close, around one score in the first, I think we have a great chance to win in the second half. I do think we have a few things that other SoCon schools don't have.

Hedden has a big arm. The deep ball is a threat, and so are receivers Hinton and Hester.
Our ability to go big (two tight end sets with multiple tight ends 6-5 and taller) proved a mismatch for a pretty good Citadel defense. The Citadel backfield, I believe, is actually bigger (taller) than Chatty's.

I'm going to go out a limb and say Furman has some success running the ball.

The DIns 24
The Mocs 19

I meant to add — do we see more uptempo? I hope our line and Hedden excel in the 4th quarter.
I also think people are sleeping on a developing pass rush. Luke Clark is stepping up so is JJ and I think our linebacking corp is starting to gel; DiMaggio, Achina, Herbert, Earl.
 #91832  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:14 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 10:56 am
I've watched Chatty several times this season. It's a typical Chatty team—solid, excellent defense; the offense won't typically light you up. Clay and Rusty seem to know each other well and have a lot of respect for each other.

My gut, or maybe my heart, says Furman turned a corner, beating the Dogs in Chucktown. Our coaches did an excellent job adjusting and we have the players to carry out those adjustments.

If Furman can keep this close, around one score in the first, I think we have a great chance to win in the second half. I do think we have a few things that other SoCon schools don't have.

Hedden has a big arm. The deep ball is a threat, and so are receivers Hinton and Hester.
Our ability to go big (two tight end sets with multiple tight ends 6-5 and taller) proved a mismatch for a pretty good Citadel defense. The Citadel backfield, I believe, is actually bigger (taller) than Chatty's.

I'm going to go out a limb and say Furman has some success running the ball.

The DIns 24
The Mocs 19

I meant to add — do we see more uptempo? I hope our line and Hedden excel in the 4th quarter.
I also think people are sleeping on a developing pass rush. Luke Clark is stepping up so is JJ and I think our linebacking corp is starting to gel; DiMaggio, Achina, Herbert, Earl.
Astro. Good catch on the tempo item. I forgot that. I’m not sure if it will catch any one as much off guard as it did Citadel since we have shown it now but that’s Ok. One more thing to Prep for as an opponent.
 #91834  by AstroDin
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:21 pm
It's not just prep - it's stamina, too. I don't see Furman going all-Samford.
I think you pick, choose, and get the matchups you want and keep the Mocs off-guard.
Then. You have matchups…
Furman can run out: Hinton, Ferguson, Hester/Harris/Holbrook, and then Chappell and Pryor/Tormey.
gofurman liked this
 #91840  by gofurman
 Thu Oct 10, 2024 3:58 pm
AstroDin wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2024 12:21 pm
It's not just prep - it's stamina, too. I don't see Furman going all-Samford.
I think you pick, choose, and get the matchups you want and keep the Mocs off-guard.
Then. You have matchups…
Furman can run out: Hinton, Ferguson, Hester/Harris/Holbrook, and then Chappell and Pryor/Tormey.
Astro, you are correct, prep / stamina etc. I assume (what do I know) that we found a matchup with Citadel we liked and so you run tempo so they can't substitute easily.. though, to be fair, we were also in "save the clock" mode by the last few drives anyway

QUESTION FOR ANYONE - can the D substitute if the O does not substitute at all on that play? I didn't think so but someone told me the D can substitute at any time as long as the O doesn't hike it and catch the D with 12 men on field or out of position which would be bad for a defense. maybe I am confusing High School or NFL or something. I do that at times - now the "2 minute warning"....
Last edited by gofurman on Thu Oct 10, 2024 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #91850  by FUBeAR
 Fri Oct 11, 2024 1:36 am
CHATTANOOGA @ FURMAN
2P
The toddler-aged Paladins keep seeing their budding bundles of joy fall out of their high chairs and coming up with season-ending boo-boo’s. It’s a combination Day Care and M*A*S*H unit hard by Travelers Rest. Meanwhile, the should-be-Top-10-if-not-Top-5 TrainDrivingAvians switched over to a winning track, taking down the best of the Big Sky and the bizuns near-vanquishers in successive weeks. But the anti-Moc Mojo is strong in Paladin Stadium. Stetson gave the Paladins a much tougher game there this season than the FeatheryFailures did in last year’s Playoff. And, down in The Holy City last week, the ArmoredHeroes proved they have a prayer if there is time on the clock. These DiaperedDandies showed they are going to play with a “Refuse to Lose” mien. So, they don’t this week. To be specific, a 9 yard TD pass with 1:44 to play provides the winning score and clinches it.

Furman 17 - Chattanooga 14
Last edited by FUBeAR on Sat Oct 12, 2024 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #91852  by FUTex
 Fri Oct 11, 2024 8:24 am
Furman - 21
UTC - 19

We got Paris Mountain (documented by the USGS) and they got the Mole People (documented by Hugh Beaumont).

One can say we are too youthful - that they have the age and experience advantage. But I say they are too old; mumbling as they walk onto the field, bumping into the refs, and forgetting what down it is. Its really quite sad.
FUBeAR liked this