#90754  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:23 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:16 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:06 pm
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?
Well it’s easy to jump on people who were actually at the game and watching rather than just seeing a score. We had a short field for a 50 yd. drive and a td on the first possession. The next 4 possessions resulted in 2 first downs, less than 50 yds of offense and a 3 yd drive for a long fg. The first 5 possessions and 26 minutes resulted in 10 points, less than 100 yds of offense against supposedly one of the worst teams in the country. The negativity was definitely warranted at the time.
Add the madness from watching two 3rd down plays get flagged for roughing the passer.... I've never seen a replay but from my view I thought those calls were questionable at best. What did others see?
Both defensive players were effectively flagged for the same violation, which is landing with their bodyweight on top of the QB.

The hits weren't late and there was nothing egregious about the contact, just can't land flat on the QB.

There was one point in the first half where I was debating on whether Stetson's QB was going to make it out of the game intact.

I thought this photo was good example of the sort of day he had.

Bootie liked this
 #90755  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:27 pm
Just perusing video. This is a big improvement over the Charleston Southern game.

Clear man coverage with no safety help on Joshua Harris. I suspect everyone on both sidelines knows this ball is going to be a shot play to Harris.

Stetson brought six men on the rush. Furman picks up everyone and sorts out a variety of twists from the defensive front. Bailor Hughes goes clear across the play to get the edge rusher and gives Hedden a shot to let it fly.

Davemeister liked this
 #90756  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:30 pm
Another good blitz pickup here.

Furman blocks 7 rushers with 5 linemen.

Watching this play - I'm inclined to think our receivers are taught to use the referee to screen them in man coverage. Ferguson runs a whisker's width from the referee and forces the Stetson defender to either run through him (and fall down) or run around him (and lose him)

#90757  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:37 pm
This is my thought on how we help the run game out a bit.

Teams have to fear your ability to do this to them. Fake the run, fake the RPO, and then take off the other direction.

I don't know the call here or how many options Hedden actually has on this play, but I think you're essentially counting the defenders. Go to where they have fewer guys to defend.

As a sidenote - I don't care who the opponent is, the kid is a true freshman at QB. If he can start putting these pieces together in real time, the sky's the limit for him. I've watched a lot of Furman football, and I'm not sure I've ever seen our offense do this.

Bootie liked this
 #90760  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 4:23 pm
Bootie wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 2:55 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2024 12:16 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2024 4:06 pm
I was just now able to tune into the game. From the posts, I figured we were losing or the game was close. We are up only 31-0 early in the 3rd. Why the negativity?
Well it’s easy to jump on people who were actually at the game and watching rather than just seeing a score. We had a short field for a 50 yd. drive and a td on the first possession. The next 4 possessions resulted in 2 first downs, less than 50 yds of offense and a 3 yd drive for a long fg. The first 5 possessions and 26 minutes resulted in 10 points, less than 100 yds of offense against supposedly one of the worst teams in the country. The negativity was definitely warranted at the time.
Add the madness from watching two 3rd down plays get flagged for roughing the passer.... I've never seen a replay but from my view I thought those calls were questionable at best. What did others see?
Both defensive players were effectively flagged for the same violation, which is landing with their bodyweight on top of the QB.

The hits weren't late and there was nothing egregious about the contact, just can't land flat on the QB.

There was one point in the first half where I was debating on whether Stetson's QB was going to make it out of the game intact.

I thought this photo was good example of the sort of day he had.

jackal, AGAIN WE AGREE. I was just about to post this.

It's not so much the hit- its laying on the QB afterwards. I don't agree with the call ( I don't think it was called like that in the tougher years of FUBeAR and HBK60 !!!) :D :D :D but it is one I have seen called now. So we can't argue it too much. I have seen us GET that call too. Personally, I don't like it... I mean if you try to pull up these guys are so fast and big now how are they Not supposed to land on the QB ? I wish they wouldn't call it unless head-to-head contact or obviously a very Late hit or lay on top of the QB for a good 30+ seconds. I mean if the QB pumps the ball the defenders are going to get scared to be aggressive at all for fear of a "landed on the QB" penalty. So I don't agree either ... but have seen it called in FBS too. It's tough. Like the targeting when the receiver changes angle at the last second CAUSING the defensive player to hit in a target-like fashion. We have all seen clear examples where a DB is going at the WR shoulder with his own shoulder and the WR then ducks causing it to be helmet-to-helmet targeting. That's just brutal. It is too bang bang to stop
 #90794  by Bootie
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:32 am
The Jackal wrote:

Teams have to fear your ability to do this to them. Fake the run, fake the RPO, and then take off the other direction.

I don't know the call here or how many options Hedden actually has on this play, but I think you're essentially counting the defenders. Go to where they have fewer guys to defend.

As a sidenote - I don't care who the opponent is, the kid is a true freshman at QB. If he can start putting these pieces together in real time, the sky's the limit for him. I've watched a lot of Furman football, and I'm not sure I've ever seen our offense do this.

I made a mental note of that play as well. I love that. QBs don’t fake throws enough. Seems such an easy way to manipulate the defender and make it more difficult for them to defend you.
 #90795  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:42 am
Bootie wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 9:32 am
The Jackal wrote:

I made a mental note of that play as well. I love that. QBs don’t fake throws enough. Seems such an easy way to manipulate the defender and make it more difficult for them to defend you.
Bootie I AGREE. I am not sure if there is something we are missing. In basketball the pump fake is a killer and seems pretty similar to what you are saying here. Kind of like the QB run in general. I think say a few QB runs and a few pump fake throws a game would really hinder an over aggressive defense?

Is there something we are missing? Maybe someone can explain

Recent Topics

Default Avatar What do we know about our team

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 9:13 am

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by The Jackal

Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:42 am

Default Avatar New Fan...

by Affirm

Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:21 am

Default Avatar TALENT FEE

by Affirm

Thu Sep 19, 2024 7:16 am

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by FUTex

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:45 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.