• Changing times ...

#88263  by Furmanoid
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 8:45 am
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:51 pm
Speaking of changing times... anyone notice how hot it is? Imagine what it will be like in August.

Anyway, its not gonna get any cooler and practice will become more challenging. Without an indoor or at least covered facility, does this put practice before 630 am or after 830 PM?

Wonder if this makes a new facility a gotta have vs nice to have? When it comes to player safety, should be a priority

Thoughts?
In Augusta it only just got hot, and we still haven’t hit 100. I’ve been thinking how cool it’s been. I spend every summer on a tennis court practicing and honestly I’ve noticed significant cooling for the past 3 years (but not this week).

Practice in HS is strictly regulated so I imagine it’s worse in college. The wet bulb test is used to determine whether practice or a game can proceed. FB is different from my sport because the equipment adds heat stress. But our court bumps the T up 10 degrees or more over a grass field so it balances out. Unless you install turf. Then it’s as hot as a tennis court. My recommendation would be to see if cutting real grass really costs more than building an indoor practice facility. If not I’d practice and play on real grass. Dirt is cool.
Sad Din liked this
 #88282  by sluggo
 Mon Jun 24, 2024 5:02 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:51 pm
Speaking of changing times... anyone notice how hot it is? Imagine what it will be like in August.

Anyway, its not gonna get any cooler and practice will become more challenging. Without an indoor or at least covered facility, does this put practice before 630 am or after 830 PM?

Wonder if this makes a new facility a gotta have vs nice to have? When it comes to player safety, should be a priority

Thoughts?
I don't know what the solution is; but I've been thinking about football practice with 98 degrees starting to seem normal in Columbia. It kind of troubles me.

Red flags would be flown all over at Fort Bragg when I was training for the army when things got this hot.
Our training exercises were scaled back during these days.

Early morning/late night practice is an idea; but there is still the games?
What about the fans sitting in the stands with 98 degrees blistering down on them?
They will get burned by the metal seats when they first sit down.

Maybe "mist sprayers" can be deployed.

https://cool-off.com/150-high-pressure- ... ng-nozzles

I have no idea how effective these systems are; but this might be a good time to do a test.
 #88289  by apaladin
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 3:44 am
Everyone is acting like this summer is different than others. :shock:
 #88294  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:06 am
apaladin wrote:
Yeah. for South Carolina, this is fairly normal. But maybe I have not paid enough attention to the long-term predictions for the next 96 days, before the end of which there will have been a lot of preseason practice as well as 3 home games. (Maybe we can have our September 7 and 14 games start at 10:00 PM? 6:00 AM?)
 #88299  by The Jackal
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:09 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Yeah. for South Carolina, this is fairly normal. But maybe I have not paid enough attention to the long-term predictions for the next 96 days, before the end of which there will have been a lot of preseason practice as well as 3 home games. (Maybe we can have our September 7 and 14 games start at 10:00 PM? 6:00 AM?)
Personally, early evening kickoffs stink. Sure, the sun goes down around half time. In the leadup to the game though, the walking around campus, the tailgating, etc. you just are baking in the hottest part of the day.
Davemeister liked this
 #88300  by Furmanoid
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:35 pm
Big 10 games are usually at noon to avoid freezing. It might work for heat too since the high is usually around 3:00. It’s a little early, but mornings at FU are pretty glorious. I hate late starts. I went to OSU-ND last year and I was dead before the game started.
 #88301  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 1:11 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 12:09 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Personally, early evening kickoffs stink. Sure, the sun goes down around half time. In the leadup to the game though, the walking around campus, the tailgating, etc. you just are baking in the hottest part of the day.
C’mon, apaladin.

How can walking around Furman’s beautiful campus be anything but wonderful? You’re always so negative.

…oh wait… :lol:

(TBH, FUBeAR really did think this was an apaladin post when he first read it. Don’t let him rub off and compromise your eternal FU Football optimism, Jackal!)
apaladin liked this
 #88303  by FUTex
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 5:42 pm
Noon start times are lousy. The pre-game window is just too short.

I prefer an evening kick-off. That way I can start getting loaded at 10am, eat three hotdogs with chili and onions at noon, drink more until about 2pm, then sit in the smoke-filled cab of pick-up truck with two people I just met, drink more and run around the parking lot screaming at people I used to know, then return to my tail-gate tent at about 4pm where I lay down for "just a minute" and wake up at halftime in a $900 dress covered in puke.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88304  by cavedweller2
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:38 pm
I remember those days. Just like it was last fall.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88305  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm
FUTex wrote:

I prefer an evening kick-off. That way I can start getting loaded at 10am, eat three hotdogs with chili and onions at noon, drink more until about 2pm, then sit in the smoke-filled cab of pick-up truck with two people I just met, drink more and run around the parking lot screaming at people I used to know, then return to my tail-gate tent at about 4pm where I lay down for "just a minute" and wake up at halftime in a $900 dress covered in puke.
C’mon…FUBeAR knows we’re all suffering under Bidenflation, but who wears a $900 dress to a Furman Football game?

2 PM - 4 PM is the ideal kickoff time range window for dedicated fans of tailgating and football (regardless of temperature).
 #88306  by apaladin
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am
I don’t think we have ever had a 3 or 4 o’clock home kickoff time have we?
 #88308  by FUTex
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 3:04 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm
FUTex wrote:

C’mon…FUBeAR knows we’re all suffering under Bidenflation, but who wears a $900 dress to a Furman Football game?

2 PM - 4 PM is the ideal kickoff time range window for dedicated fans of tailgating and football (regardless of temperature).
Man, I have no idea. It definitely wasn't the dress I came in. It wasn't my vomit either. The EMTs said it didn't even look human.

I snuck in at third quarter, just ping-ponging my way to the stands so I could crawl up the stadium steps. No one wanted to sit with me but I had a good time anyway. Stadium security courteously advised me that I need to keep my gyrations under control and to cease singing showtunes until after the game was over. And after that they said I could do whatever I wanted. But that wasn't accurate, because there are some things they don't allow even when nobody is around.

I prefer a 2 or 3pm start. Its healthier for me. Not a 4pm start - its not a prime number.
 #88311  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:37 am
apaladin wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am
I don’t think we have ever had a 3 or 4 o’clock home kickoff time have we?
Coach Hendrix, selfishly thinking only of his Players and his Coaching Staff having more time to spend with their families post-game on Saturday (during a time of the year when that time is almost, necessarily, near nil), and as was Coach Sheridan’s (what did he know?) preference, would prefer all games to kickoff at noon on Saturday. So, pushing the Head Man to a 3 or 4 o’clock kick is prolly an uphill battle.

Sure wish we could be like the SEC & ACC and have TV dictate to us, a few days before the game, what time we kick or like the Sun Belt et al and have TV dictate which weekday night we are going to play.

Who cares about those Players, Coaches, and TV though?

Tex is on a mission!

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Long offseason

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:08 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:46 am

Default Avatar 2025 Recruiting

by gofurman

Fri Jun 28, 2024 2:08 am

Default Avatar Gabbi Jennings - just short

by Sad Din

Thu Jun 27, 2024 10:56 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Thu Jun 27, 2024 9:41 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.