• Changing times ...

#88059  by cavedweller2
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:43 pm
I didn’t mind girls leaving the parties with football players. There were plenty left that thought dorks like me were good enough after drinking all that stolen keg beer. In my experience it was the fraternity guys that were arrogant dicks. Not all but enough to notice. I don’t know but the older I get the more I think my heaven will be like Woodwinds ‘81 - ‘84.
Last edited by cavedweller2 on Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FUBeAR, gman84, sluggo and 1 others liked this
 #88062  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 08, 2024 4:56 pm
sluggo wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:24 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 11:02 pm
I’m sorry we were so mean to the football players. You’re right, we were all jealous of FB players access to those awesome Furman babes. We should have given you those damn kegs, but we were insensitive. It was our fault, our own most grievous fault.
I can only confirm that FuBear was a dickhead at keg parties as he held one at our apartment even after I voted no; because the next day was my first day serving in the army reserve. I actually nodded off during my duty.
My wood cabinet Jenson speakers were played so loud that they vibrated off the shelf, crash and broke.
:(
See there. The lack of respect you got at Furman is all FUBeAR’s fault. Glad it’s all out in the open now.
 #88084  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 8:42 pm
Article appearing Monday, June 10. 2024, by Rick Seltzer in The Chronicle talks about the plan to save small Division I athletics.
"As the biggest athletic programs lean into a burgeoning pay-for-play era, smaller athletic departments are dipping back into the amateurism well for ideas that might save them from this brave new world….
"Division I colleges without major football programs have the most to lose in a brewing legal storm. They’ll pay into a proposed $2.75-billion antitrust settlement if it’s approved, and they might soon have to negotiate with unionized athletes, but they lack the revenue potential enjoyed by the powerhouses that play on autumn Saturdays during national television windows.
"[The] ... new pitch is amateurism, revisited. Athletic directors and athletes in the two less-lucrative Division I subdivisions have assembled a proposal…
"The new plan is in a feedback phase. It was due to go before the annual convention of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics on Sunday, but no vote was scheduled."
 #88087  by sluggo
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:06 pm
Affirm wrote:
Article appearing Monday, June 10. 2024, by Rick Seltzer in The Chronicle talks about the plan to save small Division I athletics.
"As the biggest athletic programs lean into a burgeoning pay-for-play era, smaller athletic departments are dipping back into the amateurism well for ideas that might save them from this brave new world….
"Division I colleges without major football programs have the most to lose in a brewing legal storm. They’ll pay into a proposed $2.75-billion antitrust settlement if it’s approved, and they might soon have to negotiate with unionized athletes, but they lack the revenue potential enjoyed by the powerhouses that play on autumn Saturdays during national television windows.
"[The] ... new pitch is amateurism, revisited. Athletic directors and athletes in the two less-lucrative Division I subdivisions have assembled a proposal…
"The new plan is in a feedback phase. It was due to go before the annual convention of the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics on Sunday, but no vote was scheduled."

I hear that; but it's like trying to "unring the bell".
Once schools started selling tickets and getting TV money, while paying coaches millions, the bell was rung.

The only way to have amateur sports again is to cap staff pay, cap ticket sales, and no TV.
Basically, like high school.
Players can't demand money that is not there.

When I played, I was against players being paid; but things changed a lot since then.
Coaches are being paid much more and players seem to be exploited in a muti-billion dollar industry.
I started to feel like the schools were pimps and the players were street hoes.
 #88091  by Affirm
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:59 pm
sluggo wrote:
Affirm wrote:

Once schools started selling tickets and getting TV money, while paying coaches millions, the bell was rung.

The only way to have amateur sports again is to cap staff pay, cap ticket sales, and no TV.

When I played, I was against players being paid; but things changed a lot since then.
Coaches are being paid much more and players seem to be exploited in a muti-billion dollar industry.
Yes, I understand what you say, EXCEPT, I have to ask - IS what YOU say actually applicable certainly mostly to the FBS schools, but NOT applicable necessarily to the Division 1 - AA (such as Furman, Mercer, ETSU, Citadel, Abilene. Christian, etc.) and the Division 1 - AAA (such as UNC-G, Winthrop, CofC, Belmont, Radford, etc.) schools?
The article refers to a proposed plan applicable to I-AA and I-AAA.
 #88092  by sluggo
 Mon Jun 10, 2024 11:21 pm
Affirm wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2024 10:59 pm
sluggo wrote:
Affirm wrote:

Yes, I understand what you say, EXCEPT, I have to ask - IS what YOU say actually applicable certainly mostly to the FBS schools, but NOT applicable necessarily to the Division 1 - AA (such as Furman, Mercer, ETSU, Citadel, Abilene. Christian, etc.) and the Division 1 - AAA (such as UNC-G, Winthrop, CofC, Belmont, Radford, etc.) schools?
The article refers to a proposed plan applicable to I-AA and I-AAA.

Bottom line is that they all sell tickets and have ESPN deals.
Making exemptions for those who don't make 10+ million is a double standard.
Broke pimps get the same jail time as rich ones.
 #88093  by FUTex
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:17 am
I agree Sluggo, but pimpin' ain't easy. I would love to be the stable of Big C Daddy Hendrix. I'd work that track.
FUBeAR liked this
 #88098  by Stumpy
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:15 am
sluggo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:53 pm
OK my last sentence was mean.
"Mean"? It was more like comedy.
At least you admit you had some "dislike" for footballers.
We didn't act like dicks; we just left with all the chicks.

:D

So you guys were all dicks with chicks?
 #88099  by Stumpy
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:15 am
sluggo wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 4:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 3:53 pm
OK my last sentence was mean.
"Mean"? It was more like comedy.
At least you admit you had some "dislike" for footballers.
We didn't act like dicks; we just left with all the chicks.

:D

So you guys were all dicks with chicks?
 #88101  by Affirm
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:14 am
You can learn some things on here …
You can seek and find some good discussion on here …
sluggo liked this
 #88102  by sluggo
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:29 am
Affirm wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 9:14 am
You can learn some things on here …
You can seek and find some good discussion on here …
hehehe.
 #88105  by FUBeAR
 Tue Jun 11, 2024 12:59 pm
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 11:41 am
Can't speak for the rest of you but I prefer chicks without dicks.
Inclusive not!
Davemeister liked this
 #88256  by Sad Din
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 5:51 pm
Speaking of changing times... anyone notice how hot it is? Imagine what it will be like in August.

Anyway, its not gonna get any cooler and practice will become more challenging. Without an indoor or at least covered facility, does this put practice before 630 am or after 830 PM?

Wonder if this makes a new facility a gotta have vs nice to have? When it comes to player safety, should be a priority

Thoughts?
sluggo liked this
 #88261  by apaladin
 Sun Jun 23, 2024 11:48 pm
That would be nice but FU has been practicing FB for over 100 years without AC so don’t see it happening. Do any SoCon teams have an indoor facility? I would guess not. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Recent Topics

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:32 pm

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Sat Jun 29, 2024 1:38 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.