• The State of Furman Football

#90229  by purplehorse123
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:03 pm
No matter how you slice it & dice it, this is a massive rebuilding year for Furman-PERIOD! Hopefully we can rebuild this year & next year. I have no expectations this year & it is certainly not the fault of the coaching staff IMHO.

How many true freshmen & RS freshmen are on our two deep?

Most sports are cyclical. It happens!
 #90231  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:16 pm
CSU loss at home today is even more embarrassing than the 76-0 loss last weekend..

Fortunately Basketball season starts soon...
apaladin liked this
 #90233  by FUBeAR
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:25 pm
Beat Stetson!
gman84, Davemeister, MNORM liked this
 #90234  by Choir Boy
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:25 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:16 pm
CSU loss at home today is even more embarrassing than the 76-0 loss last weekend..

Fortunately Basketball season starts soon...
What makes you think basketball is going to be better?
Davemeister, Stumpy liked this
 #90237  by apaladin
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:50 pm
Worse than I feared. Hard to fall from one of the elite FCS programs to this in a few months. My overly optimistic prediction of 7-5 has been revised to an optimistic 3-9.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #90240  by FU3
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:07 pm
Some random thoughts:
Burn the black uniforms.
Never play another night game at Paladin Stadium.. the lighting is frankly an embarrassment to the institution.
Fire the next OC from the sideline who decides to throw a deep pass from your own 20 with 13 seconds in the half which results in a fumble and almost getting your FR QB killed.
What made our O jell the last few years was a QB who was a real threat to run and a RB and O line that could bully people. We have none of that this year. What we do have is a very talented group of receivers and a FR QB with a truly big league arm… would hope we adjust accordingly.
Every coaching staff has bad nights and this was as bad as we have seen from CCH and his group. I have every expectation that they will adjust and will get the most out of this young team and be competitive in Socon league games.
If he stays at FU and remains healthy our young QB is going to be special. On to next week!
QCGlue, Flagman liked this
 #90242  by Paul C
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:18 pm
And the delay of game penalty after the kickoff coming out for our last possession. Poorly prepared.

And I don’t know if our OL is truly as bad as they looked tonight or just weren’t prepared for CSU’s pressure.

Hope our struggles are from inexperience and lack of focus and not lack of talent.
apaladin liked this
 #90247  by AllTimeFU
 Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:46 pm
I anticipate a few changes, but there aren’t a lot of options. I anticipate 51 will be moved to a tackle spot. That will open a guard spot and we’ll see what happens from there. We’ve been collapsing on the outside and sometimes right up the middle. I bet we have a new look.

I also think the non-clear choice of QB coming out of Fall camp leads a void for who the team rallies around. I was surprised in how quick the hook was on 5. In the postgame radio interview CCH alluded to 5 not throwing to the right guys. Perhaps decision making was a bigger factor than what we could see.

It really seems like 8 is the guy the coaches want. In the postgame interview online CCH talked about his ability to use his legs. He’s young. He’ll struggle with decision making, taking care of the ball and more as a youngster.

It was great seeing 3 get back in the action. He’s a gamer. Also, 1 getting some action as he’s dangerous.

4 turnovers. 2 bombs for TDs. Short fields. - Things that will prevent any team from winning. We’ll continue to improve. Glad we have 2 more games before SoCon play.
FU3 liked this
 #90249  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:20 am
FU3 wrote:
Some random thoughts:
Burn the black uniforms.
Never play another night game at Paladin Stadium.. the lighting is frankly an embarrassment to the institution.
Agree please burn the black jerseys. Cannot see the numbers, I didn’t realize that Hedden played most of the game until late. The black jerseys should have white numbers trimmed in purple not the other way around but just get rid of them. I commented on how dark it was. If the lighting can’t be improved then no more night games which I do like. Unfortunately my prediction of starting 1-3 likely comes true assuming we can beat Stetson.🤷🏼‍♂️

We had 17 turnovers in 13 games last year, 4 tonight which was the difference in the game.
We had 102 yds rushing tonight and only 9 in the second half.
 #90250  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:49 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2024 12:20 am
FU3 wrote:
Some random thoughts:
Burn the black uniforms.
Agree please burn the black jerseys. Cannot see the numbers, I didn’t realize that Hedden played most of the game until late. The black jerseys should have white numbers trimmed in purple not the other way around but just get rid of them. I commented on how dark it was. If the lighting can’t be improved then no more night games which I do like. Unfortunately my prediction of starting 1-3 likely comes true assuming we can beat Stetson.🤷🏼‍♂️

We had 17 turnovers in 13 games last year, 4 tonight which was the difference in the game.
We had 102 yds rushing tonight and only 9 in the second half.
Holy moly. I knew it was horrible. But NINE FREAKIN yards running in the half?

As a team that prides itself on rushing ? WTH. OL has enormous work to do

Still the deep throws weren’t close. We talk about taking deep shots but they have to be accurate some times. None of our schemed deep shots were even close. As opposed to CSU with two perfect dimes thrown deep. Even with 4 turnovers (!!!) we coulda maybe won with one or two completed deep passes - the type where we send Harris deep to make a reception. Not the QB buying time and someone gets open type. We did a good job on a few of those.

So a relative stat with CSU. citadel - I would hope we are better than them, not sure now at all - gained 3.9 yards per rush vs. CSU. We gained 2.9 yards per rush pep vs same CSU defense. Granted, I don’t think they respected our pass game so easy to stop run but point is we need to get to at least 4 yards per rush

Recent Topics

Default Avatar starting lineup projection

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 12:36 pm

Default Avatar Furman's First Opponent of 2024 Football Season

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:56 am

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FUBeAR

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:38 am

User avatar TALENT FEE

by Davemeister

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:25 am

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by FurmanFan23

Thu Sep 19, 2024 11:18 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.