• Uh Oh

#89740  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:43 pm
I think JD is too smart for this. Philadelphia or Greenville? No contest.
dornb liked this
 #89747  by FUATT
 Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:37 pm
Uh Oh is right. Always feared this was the head job he needed to fill out his resume to take over there. Color me worried.
FUBeAR, Roundball, bj93 liked this
 #90152  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 10:41 am
 #90153  by Affirm
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:14 am
apaladin wrote:
He is smart, and you are very wrong on the Philadelphia vs Greenville part.
 #90156  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:28 am
Affirm wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 11:16 am
FUBeAR wrote:
The 1st domino fell …

https://nusports.com/news/2024/8/29/ge ... c-director

…and now …

https://virginiasports.com/news/2024/0 ... oundation/

Hmmm…
Yep.
Adversity x2 for us.
Majorly.
FUBeAR did see a list of 7 contendah’s for the Nova job and VPADJD was, surprisingly, not on the list. List had AD’s from Creighton, Fordham, VCU, Cornell, and La Salle. Deputy AD from Oregon (Nova Alum) and former Nova Hoops Coach, Jay Wright, were the other 2 ‘suspected’ candidates.

FUBeAR concludes VPADJD had immediately advised the peeps on the Main Line to remove his name from consideration.
 #90159  by FUATT
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The 1st domino fell …

…and now …

Hmmm…
Yep.
Adversity x2 for us.
Majorly.
FUBeAR did see a list of 7 contendah’s for the Nova job and VPADJD was, surprisingly, not on the list. List had AD’s from Creighton, Fordham, VCU, Cornell, and La Salle. Deputy AD from Oregon (Nova Alum) and former Nova Hoops Coach, Jay Wright, were the other 2 ‘suspected’ candidates.

FUBeAR concludes VPADJD had immediately advised the peeps on the Main Line to remove his name from consideration.
FUBeAR - I spoke with someone who recently spent a little time with JD and they came away from the conversation thinking he was not going to Villanova. This person was initially very concerned - a lot of folks in the AD were very concerned - but the conversation left them feeling a lot better.
apaladin liked this
 #90160  by apaladin
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:28 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You have obviously never been to Philadelphia, I have and I am not wrong.
 #90164  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:15 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:28 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
You have obviously never been to Philadelphia, I have and I am not wrong.
FUBeAR has lived & worked in Greenville and in Philadelphia (worked in Center City Philly on Market Street & lived in Wilmington, DE area (Bear, DE, actually)).

Both instances have been a few years, but FUBeAR really liked Philly. Some very nice areas to live there. The only real problem is that it gets dark way too early in the winter. Crime may be a bigger problem now as well.

All in all, GVL is a much nicer place to live.

That said…

Compensation
Compensation Other
Mr Mark W Jackson (Vp & Director Of Athletics) $970,084 $129,719

Money can buy a lot of peace in Philly, a sunlamp, and vacations to the South.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apaladin liked this
 #90165  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 1:17 pm
FUATT wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 12:09 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Affirm wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
The 1st domino fell …

…and now …

Hmmm…
Yep.
Adversity x2 for us.
Majorly.

FUBeAR - I spoke with someone who recently spent a little time with JD and they came away from the conversation thinking he was not going to Villanova. This person was initially very concerned - a lot of folks in the AD were very concerned - but the conversation left them feeling a lot better.
Great to learn! So, FUBeAR’s basically woven from whole cloth conclusion may be accurate. Hope so! Big fan of VPADJD!!!
apaladin liked this
 #90169  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:46 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I was just up there a month ago. Downtown was fun and not nearly as gross as expected. The outlying areas (I was in Wilmington) are beautiful. Villanova isn’t really even in Philadelphia. He gone.
 #90178  by FUBeAR
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 4:18 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2024 2:46 pm
Affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
I was just up there a month ago. Downtown was fun and not nearly as gross as expected. The outlying areas (I was in Wilmington) are beautiful. Villanova isn’t really even in Philadelphia. He gone.
What part of the city were you frequenting? It’s been way too long since FUBeAR has visited Philly.

Looking at the current CrimeGrades map, heading out The Main Line, it doesn’t rise above “F” until you get almost to Ardmore. https://crimegrade.org/safest-places-i ... elphia-pa/. Villanova is further out and the surrounding area is mostly rated “A.”

West Philly (think Fresh Prince) and Northeast (think Kensington - the area Fox News always likes to show) have been no-go zones since the 90’s (or before). Center City though - from Arch down to Pine and from about 23rd all the way over to Front St. used to be great for walking and relatively safe. Not sure that’s the case any longer.

Wilmington was really kind of a nice semi-sleepy, Single-A city (Go Blue Rocks!). Sort of reminded FUBeAR of Raleigh, NC back in those days.

Unless you know something though, doesn’t seem to make sense to conclude “he gone” - not based on FUATT’s comments and that our VPADJD wasn’t included on that “AD Insider” list FUBeAR saw. Think we should wait-a-while before making that conjecture.

That said, the location, if other things are right, and he is offered the job, prolly wouldn’t be the primary factor to deter him from accepting. He lived there for 15 years before coming to FU. He grew up 80 miles away and went to undergrad 50 miles away. Geographic desires are all relative. As an example … FUBeAR once placed a Plant Manager for a Freezer Manufacturing facility in St. Cloud, MN. OK, he recruited a candidate from Alaska, who was looking to find a location with warmer winters…see… “relative.”

OTOH, Mrs. VPADJD grew up about 100 miles from FU’s campus and they have 3 children. In about 30 years of making a living in the Executive Search biz, FUBeAR learned that maternal grandparents can be the equivalent of a 20-Tesla neodymium magnet. They attract and they retain. For FU’s sake, let’s hope this is the case in the VPADJD family dynamic.
 #90180  by Furmanoid
 Thu Sep 05, 2024 6:13 pm
I apologize for doing conjecture on the UFFP. I’ll go out back and get in the box in a minute.

I was just there for a weekend and was back & forth between Wilmington & Philly. Philly just didn’t seem that bad. I thought Wilmington was boring but beautiful. The countryside out around Longwood Gardens is really pretty. I just really liked the area and I was surprised I did.

My daughter is considering Philadelphia. I’ve studied it pretty good. As she says, she lived in downtown Charleston. It’s prolly not much more dangerous. While she was there CofC hired a new VP. Her 1st week there her husband was shot dead in broad daylight on King.
FUBeAR liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Uh Oh

by Bootie

Fri Sep 13, 2024 9:52 pm

Default Avatar Alex Wilkins commits

by tya1

Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:30 pm

Default Avatar Expanding the SoCon

by Affirm

Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:50 pm

User avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by AllTimeFU

Fri Sep 13, 2024 4:39 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:48 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.