• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#82687  by FUwolfpacker
 Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:07 pm
I didn’t want to clutter up the recruiting thread, so I thought I’d create a thread for all the portal activity.

I have no inside info, but I’d be surprised if we didn’t see at least a few guys transfer out of Furman (grad transfer or otherwise). Hopefully it’s minimal like the last couple of years.

Other SoCon Transfers of Note

Furman:
CB Micah Robinson - Tulane
DE Jack Barton - Georgia Tech
BAN Luke Clark
QB Tyler Huff
P Ryan Leavy
CB Ivan Yates
LS Julian Ashby - Vanderbilt
OL Pearson Toomey
C Wyatt Hughes

WCU:
RB Desmond Reid - Pitt
S Andres Keaton - Temple
WR Censere Lee - Pitt
LB Giovanni Ricciardi
WR Cade Snotherly
OL Hudson Jones
WR Terrance Horne

Samford:
OL Jabari Brooks - Committed to UCF
RB/WR Jocquet Jiles
RB John Collins
LB Josiah Cotton
DE Kobe Stewart
DB Avery Hughes
RB Jay Stanton
DB Kourtlan Marsh

Wofford:
LB Eli Purcell - Tennessee
TE Bryce Dickerson
ATH Chase Soper
S John DiRoberto
LB David Powers

Mercer:
WR Zay Brantley
OL Jose Gonzalez
S Josh Pickett
QB Carter Peavy
OL Riley Bell
QB Drew Moore

Chattanooga:
DL Nick Charles
OL Jeremiah Katt
TE Camden Overton
WR Jamoi Mayes
LB Bo Spearman

The Citadel:
DB Dominick Poole
QB Ryan Skinner

ETSU:
OL Will Flowers
QB Tyler Riddell

VMI:
Too many to count
Last edited by FUwolfpacker on Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:24 pm, edited 13 times in total.
 #82703  by Thorny
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:06 am
It's a whole new world. I really don't know how the recent changes to college football are going to work out.

One of my concerns was college football becoming musical chairs but 4 to 5 transfers a school, even if it includes once in a generation talents like Desmond Reid, isn't absurd.
 #82708  by FUwolfpacker
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:17 am
gofurman wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 3:53 am
How about we grab Desmond Reid or Censere Lee. Or a super OL
Reid has multiple FBS offers. Lee has at least one from Pitt. Furman isn’t likely to get guys like them. They left looking for a bigger opportunity and probably a little NIL money.

We don’t know what we need most pressingly yet. I doubt exit interviews have even happened to this point.
Jasper, Choir Boy liked this
 #82726  by FUBeAR
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:27 am
Thorny wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2023 2:06 am
It's a whole new world. I really don't know how the recent changes to college football are going to work out.

One of my concerns was college football becoming musical chairs but 4 to 5 transfers a school, even if it includes once in a generation talents like Desmond Reid, isn't absurd.
5/11/23 - https://www.axios.com/2023/05/11/ncaa-f ... tal-record

The college football transfer portal's 2022-23 cycle ended earlier this month, and athletes yet again used the portal at a record clip.

By the numbers: 8,699 NCAA football players entered the portal between Aug. 1, 2022, and May 1, 2023, per ESPN. That's a 5.5% increase over last year's then-record number (8,242) and more than double the tally from the inaugural 2018-19 cycle (4,076).

Looking only at Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) transfers shows a similar increase, with a record 3,284 FBS players entering the portal.

That's up 6.5% from last year (3,083) and roughly double 2018-19's tally (1,717), per 247 Sports.

Wild stat: That 3,284 figure means over 20% of all FBS players are looking to transfer this offseason. And it's not just benchwarmers, either.

These numbers will grow again this year, despite then institution of ‘portal time windows.’ It’s exceedingly absurd.
Choir Boy liked this
 #82727  by The Jackal
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 9:30 am
I think Furman is going to keep being an attractive landing spot for graduate guys, which has helped the program out immensely.

Furman is also not a spot guys are transferring out of en masse. There's coaching, culture, and a chance to play for meaningful titles. That means something to the type of kids we are hoping to retain.
dornb liked this
 #82781  by Sad Din
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:40 pm
Best of luck to him..

Its the sports world we live in... sounds cold but plenty of fish in the pond.

Everybodies looking to move up. Last year the Gamecocks best running back was kid from Newberry
 #82782  by FU3
 Sun Dec 10, 2023 6:51 pm
Travis Blackshear went in the portal and then decided to stay. MR has graduated and may be looking for a different Grad program… who knows.This is the new reality in college sports but I think CCH and staff have done a great job in both retaining our players and recruiting portal guys who contribute almost right away.
Choir Boy liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Spring Practice

by AllTimeFU

Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:29 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:08 pm

User avatar Jalen Sullinger

by KingPaladin

Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:15 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:52 pm

Default Avatar NFL DRAFT

by Paul C

Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:06 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.