• Game postponed

#91403  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:33 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2024 10:03 pm
Small example of 1 of the million things most of us don’t think about … that are absolutely essential to putting 120 young men on a Football Field.

Bottom line: we don’t even know what we don’t know

That’s something highly worthy of considering as one is forming an opinion on an issue…
And we don’t know how a lot of places have and have not fared through this storm, even today and even very close to wherever each of us may be located if that is anywhere in the entire region that the storm affected at all.
A lot of variation in how people have suffered greatly, suffered significantly,, suffered some, or barely suffered at all.
Large range of suffering going on even now.
Impossible to pinpoint only any one relatively small area.
 #91404  by Sad Din
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:03 am
anyone know if campus is still without power.

Also thinking of UNCA and Ashville. Such a beautiful area... will take years to recover and people in dire situations
 #91405  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:16 am
Sad Din wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:03 am
anyone know if campus is still without power.

Also thinking of UNCA and Ashville. Such a beautiful area... will take years to recover and people in dire situations
I'm not sure how it could work, but I'd love to see Furman get back on the rails and then see what we could do as a community for UNCA, WCU, App State, etc.
 #91406  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 10:17 am
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:23 am
FUATT wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Small example of 1 of the million things most of us don’t think about … that are absolutely essential to putting 120 young men on a Football Field.

That’s something highly worthy of considering as one is forming an opinion on an issue…
Exactly.

Again, my understanding is the head of the officiating crew was unavailable, could not get out of neighborhood, and it wasn't as simple as "get a chainsaw bruh" it was truly impassable.

You see the equipment post. Other issues were power overall, trees in parking areas, ability to get Samford safely in and out, their hotel with no power, If no power coaches don't have headset comms... just a million things that make it hard.

I keep coming back... this is going to be the strangest Furman season in maybe forever and we are not even halfway through it.
Your last sentence, “…in maybe forever …”? What about the 2020 season, which was completed only 3.5 years ago in spring 2021?
What about the many seasons that occurred during about the first 50 years of Furman football history, which actually are part of “maybe forever”? Just say “a strange season so far.”
Yeah, I am a literalist. COVID is probably always going to be the top of the "weird" chart. A storm - even a really bad one - isn't going to make this the strangest ever... even with #97 etc. RIP young man
 #91407  by tim
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:30 am
I'm hearing of helicopter evacuations near Boone. I fear they haven't found everyone in Asheville
Puts things into perspective
Prayers
gman84, AstroDin, dornb liked this
 #91410  by FUATT
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:05 pm
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 8:23 am
FUATT wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:29 am
FUBeAR wrote:

Exactly.

Again, my understanding is the head of the officiating crew was unavailable, could not get out of neighborhood, and it wasn't as simple as "get a chainsaw bruh" it was truly impassable.

You see the equipment post. Other issues were power overall, trees in parking areas, ability to get Samford safely in and out, their hotel with no power, If no power coaches don't have headset comms... just a million things that make it hard.

I keep coming back... this is going to be the strangest Furman season in maybe forever and we are not even halfway through it.
Your last sentence, “…in maybe forever …”? What about the 2020 season, which was completed only 3.5 years ago in spring 2021?
What about the many seasons that occurred during about the first 50 years of Furman football history, which actually are part of “maybe forever”? Just say “a strange season so far.”
Covid was strange.

But...

So far we are 4 games into this season and have:
  • A player died in a workout.

Our regions storm of the century closed campus and cancelled a game.

And we have arguably our best offensive player on suspension and that will continue to unfold.
The twists and turns this team is dealing with are definitely strange, unusual and totally unprecedented.

I'm good with my "maybe forever" based the different things we have faced, but the point on COVID stuff in 19 and 20 is fair.
 #91412  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:14 pm
Furman closed through Friday. Duke Power says this is the most damaging storm in their company's history, which purportedly goes back to 1904.

Honestly, I'm not sure Furman would play a home football game this Saturday.

Duke Energy has advised us that their crews cannot begin to restore electricity to campus until Wednesday, at the earliest. Their schedule is unpredictable, as they said in an email to customers, because of the “catastrophic damage … particularly in Upstate South Carolina and Western North Carolina.” There has “never been a storm like this in our company’s history,” with extensive damage to transmission lines and substations. Greenville County Emergency Management reported that as of Sunday night, 75% of the county, including most of our faculty and staff, was still without power, and hundreds of roads are still blocked by trees.
 #91413  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:50 pm
With ZERO INSIDER KNOWLEDGE informing this opinion, FUBeAR would imagine Furman playing an Away Football game this Saturday will be a huge challenge.

Using NFL Injury Report Terminology - FUBeAR would guess it’s “Questionable” and may even be “Doubtful”
 #91414  by FUATT
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:57 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 12:50 pm
With ZERO INSIDER KNOWLEDGE informing this opinion, FUBeAR would imagine Furman playing an Away Football game this Saturday will be a huge challenge.

Using NFL Injury Report Terminology - FUBeAR would guess it’s “Questionable” and may even be “Doubtful”
You are not wrong.

We had always planned to visit Charleston this weekend and I emailed the school to ask about buying away tix and the response was "I hope we are traveling to the Citadel this weekend. Here is the link for tickets."

Now, I can also imagine the best thing we do for the team is get them on a bus and get them out of town to power and hot food. But logistics, hotels, buses, etc. etc. ... IDK.

I suspect we pull it off but its not a layup.
 #91415  by Paladingirl
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:19 pm
Are players even local to practice right now or were they released to go home? What a monumental and epic event. Primary is all of Furman has remained safe, but what will another cancelled game mean for us?
 #91416  by FUATT
 Mon Sep 30, 2024 2:37 pm
Paladingirl wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2024 1:19 pm
Are players even local to practice right now or were they released to go home? What a monumental and epic event. Primary is all of Furman has remained safe, but what will another cancelled game mean for us?
My understanding is players are local. We are able to practice and game plan for Citadel.

Campus now closed through Friday. PAC and DH will have generator power I think later today, and students will have Wifi there as well.

I suspect a lot of beer is getting drunk on campus. Like when school closed for snow when I was there.

If we cancel another game - which I still think, personal opinion, is highly unlikely, I suspect that somehow we are going end up playing on the open date on the 26th.

I am not advocating for or against anything just sharing what I know and hear that's credible.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by Roundball

Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:37 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Mon Sep 30, 2024 5:12 pm

Default Avatar Game postponed

by Afurmanfan

Mon Sep 30, 2024 3:03 pm

User avatar Bball Media Day

by FU Hoopla

Mon Sep 30, 2024 11:58 am

Default Avatar F Lane Kiffin

by FUATT

Mon Sep 30, 2024 7:30 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.