• Next opponent. Bill and Mary

#90835  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:37 pm
Paul C wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 8:14 pm
“ The lone losses during that span are Lafayette (2012) and Colgate (2018).”

So 0-2 against high academic small private schools. Bodes well for us!!! Follow the facts!!
Not exactly. They have won 6 in a row vs. Lafayette since that loss and they have won the last 2 vs. Colgate since that loss. So 8-0:since they lost to those 2.
 #90836  by apaladin
 Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:47 pm
Did a little research on their 43 ooc wins since 2002. Here are their wins:
9 vs. VMI this years game was the first in 13 years. They own a 26 game winning streak vs. the Keydets.
7 vs. HAMPTON
6 vs. LAFAYETTE
6 vs. NORFOLK ST.
3 vs. LIBERTY(FCS)
3 vs. COLGATE
2 vs. PENN
2 vs. CAMPBELL
2 vs. BUCKNELL
1 vs. WOFFORD
1 vs. CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
1 vs. CENTRAL CONN.
Not exactly a great list but again the above has absolutely nothing to do with Saturday’s game.
 #90844  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2024 11:47 pm
Did a little research on their 43 ooc wins since 2002. Here are their wins:
9 vs. VMI this years game was the first in 13 years. They own a 26 game winning streak vs. the Keydets.
7 vs. HAMPTON
6 vs. LAFAYETTE
6 vs. NORFOLK ST.
3 vs. LIBERTY(FCS)
3 vs. COLGATE
2 vs. PENN
2 vs. CAMPBELL
2 vs. BUCKNELL
1 vs. WOFFORD
1 vs. CHARLESTON SOUTHERN
1 vs. CENTRAL CONN.
Not exactly a great list but again the above has absolutely nothing to do with Saturday’s game.
Not a KILLER list but we have lost to Wofford, CSU and VMI in the last decade - that's what is impressive. No matter the competition it's just really hard to be THAT CONSISTENT. I hope we win ! Just saying that is a crazy stat. bad bounces... bad day ... your girlfriend dumped you :D ...

And thanks for doing that research AP - you are a good man for doing that,

Also Liberty was a good FCS I think as they are a Very Strong (!) G5 - I THINK they were a good FCS? Campbell has had good teams too
apaladin liked this
 #90845  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:28 am
Games notes posted:

https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... _Notes.pdf

Just bird's eye view, but it looks like some of the true freshmen (Gregorek and O'Dell) have broken in on the two deep.

Luke McLaughlin isn't a household name, but played a lot against Stetson. He's listed as #57 on the roster, but appears to wear #47. Looks like he's been in the program a while and is one of the unique Furman players from the great state of Idaho (in fact, from Coeur D'alene, one of the prettiest places in the country for my money).

I also no longer see Jalen Tate, the transfer from Georgia State, on the roster. So, add another probably unexpected loss to safety. Even with the losses at DB, that's at least three players we expected to be available at safety this year that are not.

One bright spot was Billy Lewis, who I suppose is getting the benefit of the reshuffled deck. Lewis had 7 tackles at Ole Miss and picked off two passes against Stetson. Best ability is availability.
 #90847  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:42 am
The Jackal wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:28 am
Games notes posted:

https://furmanpaladins.com/documents/20 ... _Notes.pdf

Just bird's eye view, but it looks like some of the true freshmen (Gregorek and O'Dell) have broken in on the two deep.

Luke McLaughlin isn't a household name, but played a lot against Stetson. He's listed as #57 on the roster, but appears to wear #47. Looks like he's been in the program a while and is one of the unique Furman players from the great state of Idaho (in fact, from Coeur D'alene, one of the prettiest places in the country for my money).

I also no longer see Jalen Tate, the transfer from Georgia State, on the roster. So, add another probably unexpected loss to safety. Even with the losses at DB, that's at least three players we expected to be available at safety this year that are not.

One bright spot was Billy Lewis, who I suppose is getting the benefit of the reshuffled deck. Lewis had 7 tackles at Ole Miss and picked off two passes against Stetson. Best ability is availability.
dang

But we have to be pretty inexperienced ieven MORE back there in the back 4. This is getting crazy. Graduation happen. A transfer or two... Now THREE additional guys who were expected to possibly play in the defensive backfield. SHEESH.

Lewis impressed me last week in many plays. That pick was a great catch for a DB ! but still - it's better to have more guys and more options. I mean it's like RB last year a little except we started young at DB this year and last year RB was deep and almost couldn't sustain. Can we take a trade deadline guy ? :D

However, I don't know that Tate was playing much ? Maybe someone can help here? Doesn't list him as a starter in prior games so that's good.

I like the quote "Best ability is availability.' That's a Good one.

Hope to continue to see us IMPROVE - this will be the toughest FCS team yet ! Can our OL create run lanes and time to pass? Can we get pressure or hold up on the back? Tough thing about pressure is I THINK that super - NFL prospect - guy is a tackle? Or a guard? Even if he is guard that makes it very easy to run and so we can't send heavy edge rush.
 #90848  by FUwolfpacker
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:52 am
Tate may play again this year, but not sure. Him being out doesn't really have anything to do with anything he or Furman did from what I've been told. Have to leave it at that.

It's interesting to see Gregorek on there. I missed him as the back up at LT last week. I'm pretty sure he wasn't dressed against CSU, but I didn't pay attention at Stetson. Petit had previously been listed as the back up there.

Hendrix I think said he thought Herbert would be back this week but looks like it's going to be another week or he'll be dressed but not used unless we have to use him.

Also interesting that they've split the snapping duties with Hefner taking over as the short snapper and Smith remaining as the long snapper. Has anyone noticed any issues on XP's or FG's?

I keep seeing new things. Hester also not listed as kick returner anymore. Still a back up WR. I wonder if that is indicating they are going to try and redshirt him, or if they are trying to get one of the team's fastest guys back there on a week where it's expected we're going to get a couple of chances to return a kick.
 #90855  by gofurman
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 3:09 pm
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2024 11:52 am
Tate may play again this year, but not sure. Him being out doesn't really have anything to do with anything he or Furman did from what I've been told. Have to leave it at that.

It's interesting to see Gregorek on there. I missed him as the back up at LT last week. I'm pretty sure he wasn't dressed against CSU, but I didn't pay attention at Stetson. Petit had previously been listed as the back up there.

Hendrix I think said he thought Herbert would be back this week but looks like it's going to be another week or he'll be dressed but not used unless we have to use him.

Also interesting that they've split the snapping duties with Hefner taking over as the short snapper and Smith remaining as the long snapper. Has anyone noticed any issues on XP's or FG's?

I keep seeing new things. Hester also not listed as kick returner anymore. Still a back up WR. I wonder if that is indicating they are going to try and redshirt him, or if they are trying to get one of the team's fastest guys back there on a week where it's expected we're going to get a couple of chances to return a kick.
YES !! Surprised no one (me included) noted that after CSU. We had two REALLY BAD snaps for XPs I think (not FGs?). One was a good yard or so short and sliding on the ground in front of the holder. Honestly the holder did a magnificent job to bail us out. I am glad you mentioned this - I completely forgot it but one of my friends (I have 2) noted how bad our snaps for XPs were. Honestly GREAT work by the holder to get those right enough. Didn't notice it v Stetson. Hope we have it worked out -- a missed XP will cost you a game
 #90856  by The Jackal
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:04 pm
The only particularly interesting thing I've seen on special teams is that Ian Williams is sending kickoffs into orbit and it almost looks like we are using two punt returns at the same time.

The TV feed doesn't really show how we are lining up, but both Hinton and Harris appear to be back receiving punts.
 #90857  by FUATT
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:10 pm
Could be wrong, but I don't expect to see Jaylen Tate again this year.

Burrell could possibly return late.

Two guys out of the portal we expected to contribute at important spots and did not. No fault of coaches. Just fate.
 #90859  by FUpaladin08
 Wed Sep 18, 2024 4:54 pm
I remember much being made about the secondary two years ago. Many teams threw deep on that group based on big passing numbers and Furman still managed to win games. That UIW playoff games was supposed to be a beat down due to the Furman secondary going up against the Walter Payton award winner.

Anyways, I think we’re in store for more of that this season. Even the teams that want to run the ball will take deep shots on 50/50 balls until Furman stops them and/or stops the PI penalties. W&M will air it out this wkd if they have the time to throw.