• SOCON WEEK 3

#90311  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 12:04 am
12:00 N. GREENVILLE @ CITADEL
2:00 STETSON @ FURMAN FU trys to avoid a 3rd straight loss.
3:30. VMI @ GEORGIA TECH this will be ugly.
5:30. N. DAKOTA ST. @ ETSU another that won’t be close.
6:00. WILLIAM & MARY @ WOFFORD we will find out how good WC is and get a preview of next week’s FU opponent.
6:00. WESTERN CAROLINA @ ELON this would not be a good loss for WCU but don’t be durprised if it happens.
6:00. MERCER @ CHATTANOOGA early season showdown between what looks the SOCON’s best 2.
7:00. ALABAMA A&M @ SAMFORD Sammy should get their first win.
3 really interesting games at 6 on Saturday.j
 #90321  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 7:38 am
I really don't know what to make of the conference to this point other than UTC has probably looked the best with Mercer and Wofford next. Still, Mercer has faced 1 bad and 1 mediocre team at best. UTC will be their biggest test so far. Wofford is certainly moving in the right direction. I'm not sure they were impressive in their win over GWU, but they did win. They were the beneficiary of a team turning the ball over 4 times like CSU was against Richmond. I didn't get to watch the Richmond/WC game so I'm not really sure if WC's defense "took" all of those are if some of those were "given." Either way, WC is 2-0. Maybe Richmond made the right move to go to the Patriot league versus joining the SoCon. (that was a joke)

-The Citadel is improved and should win relatively easily over NGU.

-I really don't think Stetson is all that great. Yes, they've thrown the ball around a lot but it's been against 2 NAIA schools. I'm sure they'll get there yards, but an NAIA team put up over 150 yards rushing on them. This should be a game Furman wins easily. We'll see if that's the case. I'm sure we'll break it down more this week.

-Poor VMI...

-ETSU is certainly better, but I think NDSU looks even better than expected even with their multiple losses in the secondary. If Cam Miller continues to play like he has, this one won't be close.

-W&M and Wofford will be very interesting. Wish we could watch it without paying even more. Flosports is stupid.

-I said it 2 weeks ago that even though WCU played NC State tough, it definitively had more to do with State's bad play than it did WCU looking like world beaters. Not sure if Campbell is that good or if WCU isn't as good as everyone thought. I think it's probably somewhere in the middle. Gonzales had 4 INTs and Western's ONLY TD was a literal gift from Campbell on a FG they had just blocked. Not a great look for Western or FU last week. I'm guessing WCU will figure the offense out as the season continues. While it might not have shown against Campbell (somewhat due to the offense putting the defense in a bad spot), I do think WCU's defense is improved this year. They get down field fast on runs and short throws. As far as the Elon game goes...Elon is supposed to be good this year, so wouldn't surprise me if WCU lost. That would be very bad for them and the SoCon.

-Mercer/UTC should be a good game. I'm not really sure what to expect at this point. I would think UTC should win. If they do, how much they win by may tell me a bit more about Mercer.

-A&M lost their starting QB the first game of the year. I think Samford was always going to win this, but I doubt it will be very close at this point. They should be 2-1 going into their bye week before coming to Greenville in a few weeks.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90346  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:23 am
The W&M game is at Wofford so it will be on espn+ not flosports. Our game next week
will be on flosports. 😡
 #90348  by FUwolfpacker
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:36 am
[/quote]
apaladin wrote:
The W&M game is at Wofford so it will be on espn+ not flosports. Our game next week
will be on flosports. 😡
FUwolfpacker wrote: Flosports is stupid.
I stand by this part of what I said. :lol:

I guess I'll be watching that game as well.

Maybe we'll get lucky and that W&M game will be one of the occasional free games they do, but probably not.
apaladin liked this
 #90349  by Davemeister
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 11:38 am
apaladin wrote:
Our game next week will be on flosports. 😡

No flosports for me! I will sit outdoors with friends, drink beer, and listen to Dan.
FUwolfpacker, AllTimeFU liked this
 #90371  by cavedweller2
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:23 pm
Zable stadium is 6 1/2 hours from Greenville. In the car at 10 a.m. Roll in CCLOT in time for pre gaming. After game troll bars for despondent green and gold clad coeds. When that fails find the Waffle House and a Motel 6. Drive home Sunday.
FUBeAR liked this
 #90376  by gofurman
 Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:43 pm
cavedweller2 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2024 6:23 pm
Zable stadium is 6 1/2 hours from Greenville. In the car at 10 a.m. Roll in CCLOT in time for pre gaming. After game troll bars for despondent green and gold clad coeds. When that fails find the Waffle House and a Motel 6. Drive home Sunday.
Fails. You mean SUCCEEDS - you are the cavedweller. Legendary ! Thus the need for a motel 6
 #90397  by SU DOG
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:18 am
Actually Samford plays Alabama State this week and not Alabama A&M. This team is ranked, or has been ranked this year and is expected to win their division of the SWAC, so they are not a "chopped liver" squad. Could be a close game.
apaladin liked this
 #90398  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:38 am
SU DOG wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:18 am
Actually Samford plays Alabama State this week and not Alabama A&M. This team is ranked, or has been ranked this year and is expected to win their division of the SWAC, so they are not a "chopped liver" squad. Could be a close game.
HANG ON…

Before we anoint Alabama State (Massey #103 FCS) as highly-ranked HBCU National Champions, let’s remember they’ve already lost to NCCU (Massey #65 FCS), who Elon (#15 FCS; last seen around these parts getting blown out in Paladin Stadium) just defeated by over 3 TD’s.

The Hornets also lost to a meh D2 Team last season that is 7-5 in their last 12 games.

Finally, Massey sez Alabama State would eke out a 3 point win in Daytona over Bethune-Cookman (Massey #115 FCS); where Mercer (Massey #26 FCS) coasted to a 4+ score win last week with everyone here, and elsewhere, talking about how horrible a squad B-C is.

Samford (Massey #57 FCS) should beat Alabama State by 30+ this week.

Not doing so would just confirm that Samford is unlikely to be competitive in the SoCon this season.
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #90399  by FUwolfpacker
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:41 am
SU DOG wrote:Actually Samford plays Alabama State this week and not Alabama A&M. This team is ranked, or has been ranked this year and is expected to win their division of the SWAC, so they are not a "chopped liver" squad. Could be a close game.
apaladin said A&M and I copied it but I was thinking of the right team. Alabama State did lose their starting QB in week 1. Everything I read made it sound like a huge deal for them. Tough to lose your starting QB the first week of the season. Looks like they played their two freshmen QBs against Miles and only had 88 yards. Interesting since the graduate QB played once the starter went down against NCCU. Who know what they'll do this week. I know their defense is supposed to be pretty good. They're certainly not a PFL or NAIA team, but I still believe Samford can win by multiple scores.

I feel more confident about that game than I do about ETSU upsetting NDSU. Still not sure how to feel about Elon/WCU.
 #90400  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:02 am
Never been to a game at Alabama State, but every time I pass their stadium I wonder if it isn't the steepest set of bleachers in college football. Maybe it's normal and the optics are weird, but it certainly seems like if you lean forward you may plummet to the field.

#90401  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 11:03 am
FUwolfpacker wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2024 10:41 am
SU DOG wrote:Actually Samford plays Alabama State this week and not Alabama A&M. This team is ranked, or has been ranked this year and is expected to win their division of the SWAC, so they are not a "chopped liver" squad. Could be a close game.
apaladin said A&M and I copied it but I was thinking of the right team. Alabama State did lose their starting QB in week 1. Everything I read made it sound like a huge deal for them. Tough to lose your starting QB the first week of the season. Looks like they played their two freshmen QBs against Miles and only had 88 yards. Interesting since the graduate QB played once the starter went down against NCCU. Who know what they'll do this week. I know their defense is supposed to be pretty good. They're certainly not a PFL or NAIA team, but I still believe Samford can win by multiple scores.

I feel more confident about that game than I do about ETSU upsetting NDSU. Still not sure how to feel about Elon/WCU.
Massey has 4 PFL Teams ranked ahead of Alabama State.
 #90403  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 10, 2024 1:17 pm
We'll find out more about Mercer this week. UTC on the road will be a big step up in competition.
 #90630  by furmandad
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 6:57 pm
ETSU looks very good in the 1st Half against North Dakota State. Up 21-17 on the Bison.
 #90634  by The Jackal
 Sat Sep 14, 2024 7:18 pm
Couple of scraps going on.

ETSU giving NDSU what for.

Mercer and UTC locked in a good one.

Wofford and W&M locked in a good one. I hope our coaches and players have flosports.