• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#90048  by DeepPurple
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 7:23 am
My wife and i were in the rebel box. One of their boosters mentioned that they bought this team, 26 transfers. The NIL among high end SEC schools has made the gap even wider than it used to be with just the differences being number of scholarships, facilities, etc. I've seen Furman play for over 40 years, never seen us play an offense like Ole Miss. I thought their coach lived up to his "not a lot of class" type guy. That was a nightmare matchup for us. Money is in the bank and I am looking forward to seeing us play Saturday. The Sun did come up Sunday morning.
 #90052  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:14 am
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:54 pm
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:05 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:44 am
That was no football game. It looked more like a replay of the lions vs. the Christians in Rome's Colisseum. The FU administration should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting their young and inexperienced student/athletes to a humiliating beatdown by a team of highly skilled professionals for a pay day. If that is the only way they can financially maintain their level of FCS play, they should re-evaluate the whole program. Furman likes to think of itself as an elite academic institution and is trying very hard to be recognized as such. It would help to start acting like one. You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs. Any rationalizations of "character building" or "gaining experience" is nonsense. I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it. Their psyches took a bigger hit than any administered on the field.
I believe that your entire post is tongue-in-cheek.
(Or at least tongue-in-check, since we did our coveted great check. In any case, I have a feeling of detecting some untruthfulness of meaning in what you have written.)
But there are at least 2 statements that I know are true.
"You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs." WELL YEAH, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY D-3 TEAM PLAYED ANY FBS TEAM? IN THE CASE OF WILLIAMS AND AMHERST, NEITHER OF THOSE HAVE ANY NEED FOR FCS-LEVEL FOOTBALL TO BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, CONSIDERABLY MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN FURMAN, AT LEAST IN REGARD TO ACADEMIC REPUTATIONS.
"I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it." WELL YEAH, OUR KIDS NEED TO REALIZE THAT LIFE IS FILLED WITH SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE SITUATIONS; AND OUR KIDS NEED TO CONTINUE LEARNING TO DEAL WITH SUCH SITUATIONS AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. ALSO, I WOULD THINK OUR KIDS ALWAYS WANT TO HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING ON A REALLY BIG STAGE AND IN A REALLY BIG ATMOSPHERE.
But 1/2 our fans are complaining that my Rebels were mean to them by beating the crap out of Furman. Can’t have it both ways. If you sign up to lose a game by 76, don’t get mad when you lose by 76. Isn’t that fair?

Ole Miss may stop scheduling teams as bad as us anyway because when it’s this bad, it isn’t good for anybody. They get no credit unless they win by 70. & it wasn’t even good practice. A risk of injury with no real benefit like practice against their 3rd string would give them. Just kabuki theater on a football field.

Maybe next time they send us the $800K check and we send them a trailer full of FU uniforms for their scrubs to wear in an intrasquad game. Would be a much better game and we wouldn’t get hurt.
1. I doubt Furman fans think “your Rebels” were being mean.
2. I believe the check was not $800,000, but was actually only $500,000.
3. I doubt “your Rebels” will stop scheduling teams “as bad as” Furman. Fun was had by “your Rebels”.
1. I went there for my MS so they are my rebels, and this thread contains a good bit of hate and discontent toward them and Coach Kiffen.
2. Only getting $500K makes it more indefensible to sign up for these beatings.
3. If you looked at other scores it appears we are now seeing a significant separation between the top 20 or so and everybody else. SoCon teams no longer offer anything resembling competition to those people. When there’s NO competition, the exercise has no value at all to anyone. They can play some Sunbelt team, win by 30 and still get valuable experience. That’s all I’m saying and I can’t believe it isn’t obvious.
 #90053  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:30 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:49 pm
I think it was a combination of us breaking in some new players, Ole Miss being really good, and their coach being one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" type guys.
I don’t think there was much in their playbook that we could stop. Would look weird if they started doing victory formation in the 1st quarter. What was he supposed to do? Did Clay ask for a running clock at the half? That would be honorable. But it just isn’t the other coach’s job to figure out ways to get his guys tackled.
FUBeAR is one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" guys … regardless of which side of a rout he might be on.

If the score was 10,000 - 0 against FUBeAR’s Team, he would never ask for a running clock unless he truly and deeply felt the safety of his Players was in jeopardy.

FUBeAR defended Ole Miss’ regarding last year’s similar score against Mercer.

All that said, the sequence below at the end of the half, with the score at 52-0, got deeply under FUBeAR’s fur…

3rd and 10 at FUR25 - (00:53) Pass complete for 4 yards loss to the FURMAN21

4th and 14 at FUR21 - Timeout Ole Miss, clock 00:50.

4th and 14 at FUR21 - (00:46) Punt 42 yards to the OM37 fair catch

Ole Miss drive start at 00:41.
1st and 10 at OLE37 - (00:38) Pass complete at OM30, for 3 yards loss to the OM34

2nd and 13 at OLE34 - (00:18) Pass complete at OM48, for 14 yards to the OM48 - 1ST DOWN.

1st and 10 at OLE48 - (00:12) - Pass complete for 3 yards to the FURMAN49

2nd and 7 at FUR49 - (00:10) - Pass complete for 13 yards to the FURMAN36 - 1ST DOWN.

Timeout Ole Miss, clock 00:03.

1st and 10 at FUR36. - (00:00) Davis,Caden field goal attempt from 53 yards NO GOOD

If you are up 52-0 and you call a timeout before FUBeAR’s 4th down with under a minute to play in the half (or in a game)…there is no way on God’s green earth is FUBeAR gonna GIVE that ball back to you. Run a play, fake punt, run around and take a safety - whatever … FUBeAR ain’t gonna let you do whatever it is you wanted to do by calling that timeout . Don’t care about short-field. Don’t care about turnover. Just ain’t gonna let you treat my Team that type-a-way …. Sure you’ll say “we wanted to work on our 2-minute O.” They are always in 2-minute O … so that’s a crock.

And then you called the timeout to kick the FG. Fine to kick the FG if you wanna practice running your guys out without taking a timeout to get that situational practice in, but you called timeout to TRY TO put 3 more points up when you knew you had a whole half of possessions to practice kicking FG’s … Sorry, but if you call that time-out, you just advised FUBeAR that you WANT us to rough your Kicker and Holder. Gee - would sure be a shame if they were injured in the process, wouldn’t it.

Yeah - Coach Freshwater was a horse’s hindquarters at the end of the half. Prolly is all the time, but he really showed it there.

20 year-old Clay Hendrix woulda fought him right then or after the game for pulling that ish. Glad Coach Hendrix has matured. FUBeAR has not.
So it was “we’re gonna do what we’re gonna do and you’re gonna have to stop us” in the first chapter. Then it’s they shouldn’t take advantage of a perfect opportunity to practice scoring at the end of the half.

Maybe they were trying to derive some value from an afternoon against a team they thought would offer SOME competition but showed up completely unprepared to compete.

I doubt Hendrix cared at that point. It was a rare positive: they got the stop. Of all the things to be mad about that isn’t it.

If you coached hs baseball and there were no mercy rule, would you tell your guys to strike out?
 #90054  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:42 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:14 am
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:54 pm
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:05 am
Jasper wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:44 am
That was no football game. It looked more like a replay of the lions vs. the Christians in Rome's Colisseum. The FU administration should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting their young and inexperienced student/athletes to a humiliating beatdown by a team of highly skilled professionals for a pay day. If that is the only way they can financially maintain their level of FCS play, they should re-evaluate the whole program. Furman likes to think of itself as an elite academic institution and is trying very hard to be recognized as such. It would help to start acting like one. You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs. Any rationalizations of "character building" or "gaining experience" is nonsense. I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it. Their psyches took a bigger hit than any administered on the field.
I believe that your entire post is tongue-in-cheek.
(Or at least tongue-in-check, since we did our coveted great check. In any case, I have a feeling of detecting some untruthfulness of meaning in what you have written.)
But there are at least 2 statements that I know are true.
"You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs." WELL YEAH, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY D-3 TEAM PLAYED ANY FBS TEAM? IN THE CASE OF WILLIAMS AND AMHERST, NEITHER OF THOSE HAVE ANY NEED FOR FCS-LEVEL FOOTBALL TO BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, CONSIDERABLY MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN FURMAN, AT LEAST IN REGARD TO ACADEMIC REPUTATIONS.
"I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it." WELL YEAH, OUR KIDS NEED TO REALIZE THAT LIFE IS FILLED WITH SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE SITUATIONS; AND OUR KIDS NEED TO CONTINUE LEARNING TO DEAL WITH SUCH SITUATIONS AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. ALSO, I WOULD THINK OUR KIDS ALWAYS WANT TO HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING ON A REALLY BIG STAGE AND IN A REALLY BIG ATMOSPHERE.
But 1/2 our fans are complaining that my Rebels were mean to them by beating the crap out of Furman. Can’t have it both ways. If you sign up to lose a game by 76, don’t get mad when you lose by 76. Isn’t that fair?

Ole Miss may stop scheduling teams as bad as us anyway because when it’s this bad, it isn’t good for anybody. They get no credit unless they win by 70. & it wasn’t even good practice. A risk of injury with no real benefit like practice against their 3rd string would give them. Just kabuki theater on a football field.

Maybe next time they send us the $800K check and we send them a trailer full of FU uniforms for their scrubs to wear in an intrasquad game. Would be a much better game and we wouldn’t get hurt.
1. I doubt Furman fans think “your Rebels” were being mean.
2. I believe the check was not $800,000, but was actually only $500,000.
3. I doubt “your Rebels” will stop scheduling teams “as bad as” Furman. Fun was had by “your Rebels”.
1. I went there for my MS so they are my rebels, and this thread contains a good bit of hate and discontent toward them and Coach Kiffen.
2. Only getting $500K makes it more indefensible to sign up for these beatings.
3. If you looked at other scores it appears we are now seeing a significant separation between the top 20 or so and everybody else. SoCon teams no longer offer anything resembling competition to those people. When there’s NO competition, the exercise has no value at all to anyone. They can play some Sunbelt team, win by 30 and still get valuable experience. That’s all I’m saying and I can’t believe it isn’t obvious.
I think it is narrower than that.

It has been my opinion for a few years that there is a chasm between the top 5 or 7 FBS programs and the rest of the field. I personally think the top 15 FCS programs are closer talent-wise to the 15-25 ranked FBS programs than those programs are to the top 5 or 7 FBS programs.

To put it in terms this week's games, I think you will see an FCS team like Western Carolina play closer to top 20ish FBS program like NC State than you would see NC State play against Georgia or Alabama.

Clemson and Florida State are considered the class of the ACC in the preseason. Major programs. Does anyone think either of those teams would stay on the field with UGA, Alabama, or Ole Miss? Clemson already lost to Georgia by 31.

I think gone are the days where we see major upsets in college football. We aren't going to see App State/Michigan or Furman/UNC or Boise State/Oklahoma. The power programs are basically death stars right now, and about the only teams that have a chance to stay with them are the other power programs.
Affirm liked this
 #90057  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 9:16 am
Affirm wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:57 am
So are Tennessee & Clemson in that top 5-7? How is our scheduling going to look after 2026?
Clemson no longer is. From what I can tell, the Swinney administration doesn't play the same NIL game the other power programs play. Maybe that's philosophical. Maybe he's not as good at it.

Tennessee does play the game. I suppose we'll have to wait and see on them.

I feel pretty confident that the UT team we were expected to play a few years ago won't be the same type of team we'll see in an upcoming game.
 #90058  by The Jackal
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:17 am
I'm interested to know the story behind the penalty for having two #11s on the field.

As best I can tell, Joshua Burrell is #11 on offense. When I checked earlier in the weekend, safety Billy Lewis was listed as #11. Now he is listed as #21.

Did Furman have a uniform mixup?
 #90059  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:35 am
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
I think it was a combination of us breaking in some new players, Ole Miss being really good, and their coach being one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" type guys.
I don’t think there was much in their playbook that we could stop. Would look weird if they started doing victory formation in the 1st quarter. What was he supposed to do? Did Clay ask for a running clock at the half? That would be honorable. But it just isn’t the other coach’s job to figure out ways to get his guys tackled.
FUBeAR is one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" guys … regardless of which side of a rout he might be on.

If the score was 10,000 - 0 against FUBeAR’s Team, he would never ask for a running clock unless he truly and deeply felt the safety of his Players was in jeopardy.

All that said, the sequence below at the end of the half, with the score at 52-0, got deeply under FUBeAR’s fur…

1st and 10 at OLE37 - (00:38) Pass complete at OM30, for 3 yards loss to the OM34

2nd and 13 at OLE34 - (00:18) Pass complete at OM48, for 14 yards to the OM48 - 1ST DOWN.

2nd and 7 at FUR49 - (00:10) - Pass complete for 13 yards to the FURMAN36 - 1ST DOWN.

1st and 10 at FUR36. - (00:00) Davis,Caden field goal attempt from 53 yards NO GOOD

If you are up 52-0 and you call a timeout before FUBeAR’s 4th down with under a minute to play in the half (or in a game)…there is no way on God’s green earth is FUBeAR gonna GIVE that ball back to you. Run a play, fake punt, run around and take a safety - whatever … FUBeAR ain’t gonna let you do whatever it is you wanted to do by calling that timeout . Don’t care about short-field. Don’t care about turnover. Just ain’t gonna let you treat my Team that type-a-way …. Sure you’ll say “we wanted to work on our 2-minute O.” They are always in 2-minute O … so that’s a crock.

And then you called the timeout to kick the FG. Fine to kick the FG if you wanna practice running your guys out without taking a timeout to get that situational practice in, but you called timeout to TRY TO put 3 more points up when you knew you had a whole half of possessions to practice kicking FG’s … Sorry, but if you call that time-out, you just advised FUBeAR that you WANT us to rough your Kicker and Holder. Gee - would sure be a shame if they were injured in the process, wouldn’t it.

Yeah - Coach Freshwater was a horse’s hindquarters at the end of the half. Prolly is all the time, but he really showed it there.

20 year-old Clay Hendrix woulda fought him right then or after the game for pulling that ish. Glad Coach Hendrix has matured. FUBeAR has not.
So it was “we’re gonna do what we’re gonna do and you’re gonna have to stop us” in the first chapter. Then it’s they shouldn’t take advantage of a perfect opportunity to practice scoring at the end of the half.

Maybe they were trying to derive some value from an afternoon against a team they thought would offer SOME competition but showed up completely unprepared to compete.

I doubt Hendrix cared at that point. It was a rare positive: they got the stop. Of all the things to be mad about that isn’t it.

If you coached hs baseball and there were no mercy rule, would you tell your guys to strike out?
It’s obvious from your comments in this post that you just don’t ’get it’ and nothing FUBeAR exposits is going to change that.

So…to address a couple of things without wandering too far into that ‘he just don’t get it’ realm…

1) FUBeAR has known Coach Hendrix quite well for over 40 years. There never has been and never will be a single second of any game (or practice) in which he doesn’t care about every aspect of anything associated with his Team. Your conjecture here is 100% inaccurate.

2) To answer your analogical query…

If FUBeAR was Coaching HS baseball and there were no mercy rule, FUBeAR would not tell his guys to strike out.

We’re assuming FUBeAR’s Team has about at least a 10-0 lead, right?

Well, the analogy is not great because there is not a time-based conclusion to the game, there is no halftime, and “Defense” can be limited to the ability of only 1 Player (Pitcher) sometimes. But, we’ll overlook all that and say, while FUBeAR would not direct his Players to intentionally strike out, he would also not, in the top of the 9th (no halftime, remember), call timeout to review signs with his batter and FUBeAR’s runners on 1st and 2nd in order to make sure we could execute a hit-and-run or bunt successfully to move those runners into scoring position…and then call another timeout to make sure we could properly execute a squeeze play to get that runner on 3rd in to run the score to 11-0.

Best FUBeAR can do to answer your query and to give you an analogy to the BS Coach Freshwater chose to do, in your desired format…but, as FUBeAR said…you still won’t ’get it.’

That’s OK.
apaladin liked this
 #90060  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:49 am
Affirm wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 8:57 am
So are Tennessee & Clemson in that top 5-7? How is our scheduling going to look after 2026?
No, UT’s #15 and won 69-3 over a SoCon team. My point is based on my hope that no more than 20-25 teams will have the money or inclination to buy pro teams. That will be a league unto itself. If we insist on playing those teams, we’ll get destroyed and we shouldn’t complain.
 #90061  by Furmanoid
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:54 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

It’s obvious from your comments in this post that you just don’t ’get it’ and nothing FUBeAR exposits is going to change that.

So…to address a couple of things without wandering too far into that ‘he just don’t get it’ realm…

1) FUBeAR has known Coach Hendrix quite well for over 40 years. There never has been and never will be a single second of any game (or practice) in which he doesn’t care about every aspect of anything associated with his Team. Your conjecture here is 100% inaccurate.

If FUBeAR was Coaching HS baseball and there were no mercy rule, FUBeAR would not tell his guys to strike out.

Well, the analogy is not great because there is not a time-based conclusion to the game, there is no halftime, and “Defense” can be limited to the ability of only 1 Player (Pitcher) sometimes. But, we’ll overlook all that and say, while FUBeAR would not direct his Players to intentionally strike out, he would also not, in the top of the 9th (no halftime, remember), call timeout to review signs with his batter and FUBeAR’s runners on 1st and 2nd in order to make sure we could execute a hit-and-run or bunt successfully to move those runners into scoring position…and then call another timeout to make sure we could properly execute a squeeze play to get that runner on 3rd in to run the score to 11-0.

Best FUBeAR can do to answer your query and to give you an analogy to the BS Coach Freshwater chose to do, in your desired format…but, as FUBeAR said…you still won’t ’get it.’

That’s OK.
So you let guys go for that 3 run homer instead. OK. Next time should Ole Miss just run another vanilla pass play for another TD?
 #90062  by FUBeAR
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:00 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2024 10:54 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
Furmanoid wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

That’s OK.
So you let guys go for that 3 run homer instead. OK. Next time should Ole Miss just run another vanilla pass play for another TD?
Yes.
 #90072  by FUATT
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 11:56 am
Do not need to overthink this game.

They put 73 on Mercer and 55 on LSU last year. They are possibly a top 5 team and a legit CFP team.

We did not have major injuries. We collected $600k and got a lot of good film against competition we will not see again this year.

Carson and 1 and 2 actually looked pretty good against that level of competition. Team got some good looks against great players and great schemes.

Good scrimmage. Good check. Some FU people had fun in The Grove.

Now, the schedule begins and the real challenges start.

Biggest problem we have is that Travis Blackshear, Cally Chizik, Hugh Ryan and Micah Robinson are not getting off that bus. That's clearly the biggest issue on this team, nothing against the current secondary and all the work and effort they put in, but we lost a lot back there and we are not at last years standard right now, everyone will see it on the film, and we can expect to see game plans built around attacking that.
bj93, FUBeAR, DeepPurple and 1 others liked this