• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#89997  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 11:35 pm
I can't explain the Oregon game.

The Idaho QB completed 44% of his passes for 168 yards. He was sacked four times. Their leading rusher had 45 yards, roughly half of which came on one run. The team's net rushing was 49 yards.

Oregon 31 first downs to Idaho's 10, nearly 500 yards of offense on 87 plays to Idaho's 217 on 47 plays. Oregon held the ball for nearly 40 minutes to Idaho's 20.

Idaho's first 8 possessions ended in 6 punts, an interception, and a turnover on downs.

As best I can tell, Idaho was able to punt Oregon deep a bunch with the Ducks having an average starting position about their own 30 for the game. Oregon would drive the ball, and just stall out deep in Idaho territory. They missed some kicks and turned it over on downs a few times.

Credit to Idaho for putting up a fight, but the raw stats suggest that should have been a four touchdown spread, not 10. Idaho got out played all over the field but managed to keep it close (something Furman couldn't do)
 #90009  by Jasper
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 10:44 am
That was no football game. It looked more like a replay of the lions vs. the Christians in Rome's Colisseum. The FU administration should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting their young and inexperienced student/athletes to a humiliating beatdown by a team of highly skilled professionals for a pay day. If that is the only way they can financially maintain their level of FCS play, they should re-evaluate the whole program. Furman likes to think of itself as an elite academic institution and is trying very hard to be recognized as such. It would help to start acting like one. You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs. Any rationalizations of "character building" or "gaining experience" is nonsense. I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it. Their psyches took a bigger hit than any administered on the field.
 #90012  by Flagman
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 11:05 am
Obviously, college football is different from just a couple of years ago. Power 4 football is professional in every way. Players are paid tremendous amounts under NIL. It’s free agency through the transfer portal where players can move form team to team and teams can show for the best athletes to build their teams. I imagine when this contract was negotiated with Ole Miss, the landscape of college football was dramatically different from what we experienced on Saturday. While the payday will likely be different, perhaps the time has come to consider a more realistic scheduling approach and consider Group of 5 teams.
Davemeister, dornb liked this
 #90013  by Affirm
Jasper wrote:
That was no football game. It looked more like a replay of the lions vs. the Christians in Rome's Colisseum. The FU administration should be ashamed of themselves for subjecting their young and inexperienced student/athletes to a humiliating beatdown by a team of highly skilled professionals for a pay day. If that is the only way they can financially maintain their level of FCS play, they should re-evaluate the whole program. Furman likes to think of itself as an elite academic institution and is trying very hard to be recognized as such. It would help to start acting like one. You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs. Any rationalizations of "character building" or "gaining experience" is nonsense. I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it. Their psyches took a bigger hit than any administered on the field.
I believe that your entire post is tongue-in-cheek.
(Or at least tongue-in-check, since we did our coveted great check. In any case, I have a feeling of detecting some untruthfulness of meaning in what you have written.)
But there are at least 2 statements that I know are true.
"You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs." WELL YEAH, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY D-3 TEAM PLAYED ANY FBS TEAM? IN THE CASE OF WILLIAMS AND AMHERST, NEITHER OF THOSE HAVE ANY NEED FOR FCS-LEVEL FOOTBALL TO BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, CONSIDERABLY MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN FURMAN, AT LEAST IN REGARD TO ACADEMIC REPUTATIONS.
"I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it." WELL YEAH, OUR KIDS NEED TO REALIZE THAT LIFE IS FILLED WITH SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE SITUATIONS; AND OUR KIDS NEED TO CONTINUE LEARNING TO DEAL WITH SUCH SITUATIONS AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. ALSO, I WOULD THINK OUR KIDS ALWAYS WANT TO HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING ON A REALLY BIG STAGE AND IN A REALLY BIG ATMOSPHERE.
 #90017  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:25 pm
Again, not many offensive positives, but liked this.

I think Ole Miss is in "Cover 6," with a "Cover 4" look to the weak side of the formation and man coverage underneath.

Great pocket by the offensive line. They deal with Ole Miss twisting their defensive tackles to the opposite-side edge and the two edge players rushing inside. Hicks does a great job diagnosing the chaos and picking up the protection from the backfield.

I really like Jones on this one to. It seems he immediately diagnoses the coverage and is letting the ball fly before Harris is truly open. Holding the ball any longer probably results in an incompletion or a sack. He puts it right on the money in between the dropping CB and the safety over the top.

The facemask call at the end of this is just nonsense, though.

#90019  by apaladin
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 12:37 pm
Flagman wrote:
Obviously, college football is different from just a couple of years ago. Power 4 football is professional in every way. Players are paid tremendous amounts under NIL. It’s free agency through the transfer portal where players can move form team to team and teams can show for the best athletes to build their teams. I imagine when this contract was negotiated with Ole Miss, the landscape of college football was dramatically different from what we experienced on Saturday. While the payday will likely be different, perhaps the time has come to consider a more realistic scheduling approach and consider Group of 5 teams.
Good post but remember this was a highly paid top 5 team in the country. Unfortunately it was a terrible matchup with arguably the best QB and passing attack in the country against our young and inexperienced players. Hopefully these type of matchups are not the norm. Other power teams at leaat will try to run some. Just about all the UM rushng yards came late.
 #90024  by The Jackal
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 1:49 pm
I think it was a combination of us breaking in some new players, Ole Miss being really good, and their coach being one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" type guys.
apaladin, dornb liked this
 #90026  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 2:54 pm
Affirm wrote:
Jasper wrote:
(Or at least tongue-in-check, since we did our coveted great check. In any case, I have a feeling of detecting some untruthfulness of meaning in what you have written.)
"You're not going to find Williams or Amherst on the Ole Miss football schedule of sacrificial lambs." WELL YEAH, WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME ANY D-3 TEAM PLAYED ANY FBS TEAM? IN THE CASE OF WILLIAMS AND AMHERST, NEITHER OF THOSE HAVE ANY NEED FOR FCS-LEVEL FOOTBALL TO BE HIGHLY SUCCESSFUL INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER EDUCATION, CONSIDERABLY MORE SUCCESSFUL THAN FURMAN, AT LEAST IN REGARD TO ACADEMIC REPUTATIONS.
"I can assure you that the game was not "meaningless" to the FU kids who played in it." WELL YEAH, OUR KIDS NEED TO REALIZE THAT LIFE IS FILLED WITH SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE SITUATIONS; AND OUR KIDS NEED TO CONTINUE LEARNING TO DEAL WITH SUCH SITUATIONS AS BEST AS POSSIBLE. ALSO, I WOULD THINK OUR KIDS ALWAYS WANT TO HAVE THE EXPERIENCE OF BEING ON A REALLY BIG STAGE AND IN A REALLY BIG ATMOSPHERE.
But 1/2 our fans are complaining that my Rebels were mean to them by beating the crap out of Furman. Can’t have it both ways. If you sign up to lose a game by 76, don’t get mad when you lose by 76. Isn’t that fair?

Ole Miss may stop scheduling teams as bad as us anyway because when it’s this bad, it isn’t good for anybody. They get no credit unless they win by 70. & it wasn’t even good practice. A risk of injury with no real benefit like practice against their 3rd string would give them. Just kabuki theater on a football field.

Maybe next time they send us the $800K check and we send them a trailer full of FU uniforms for their scrubs to wear in an intrasquad game. Would be a much better game and we wouldn’t get hurt.
 #90027  by Furmanoid
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I think it was a combination of us breaking in some new players, Ole Miss being really good, and their coach being one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" type guys.
I don’t think there was much in their playbook that we could stop. Would look weird if they started doing victory formation in the 1st quarter. What was he supposed to do? Did Clay ask for a running clock at the half? That would be honorable. But it just isn’t the other coach’s job to figure out ways to get his guys tackled.
 #90032  by FUBeAR
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:39 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 3:01 pm
The Jackal wrote:
I don’t think there was much in their playbook that we could stop. Would look weird if they started doing victory formation in the 1st quarter. What was he supposed to do? Did Clay ask for a running clock at the half? That would be honorable. But it just isn’t the other coach’s job to figure out ways to get his guys tackled.
FUBeAR is one of those "we're going to do what we do and you're going to have to stop it" guys … regardless of which side of a rout he might be on.

If the score was 10,000 - 0 against FUBeAR’s Team, he would never ask for a running clock unless he truly and deeply felt the safety of his Players was in jeopardy.

FUBeAR defended Ole Miss’ regarding last year’s similar score against Mercer.

All that said, the sequence below at the end of the half, with the score at 52-0, got deeply under FUBeAR’s fur…

3rd and 10 at FUR25 - (00:53) Pass complete for 4 yards loss to the FURMAN21

4th and 14 at FUR21 - Timeout Ole Miss, clock 00:50.

4th and 14 at FUR21 - (00:46) Punt 42 yards to the OM37 fair catch

Ole Miss drive start at 00:41.
1st and 10 at OLE37 - (00:38) Pass complete at OM30, for 3 yards loss to the OM34

2nd and 13 at OLE34 - (00:18) Pass complete at OM48, for 14 yards to the OM48 - 1ST DOWN.

1st and 10 at OLE48 - (00:12) - Pass complete for 3 yards to the FURMAN49

2nd and 7 at FUR49 - (00:10) - Pass complete for 13 yards to the FURMAN36 - 1ST DOWN.

Timeout Ole Miss, clock 00:03.

1st and 10 at FUR36. - (00:00) Davis,Caden field goal attempt from 53 yards NO GOOD

If you are up 52-0 and you call a timeout before FUBeAR’s 4th down with under a minute to play in the half (or in a game)…there is no way on God’s green earth is FUBeAR gonna GIVE that ball back to you. Run a play, fake punt, run around and take a safety - whatever … FUBeAR ain’t gonna let you do whatever it is you wanted to do by calling that timeout . Don’t care about short-field. Don’t care about turnover. Just ain’t gonna let you treat my Team that type-a-way …. Sure you’ll say “we wanted to work on our 2-minute O.” They are always in 2-minute O … so that’s a crock.

And then you called the timeout to kick the FG. Fine to kick the FG if you wanna practice running your guys out without taking a timeout to get that situational practice in, but you called timeout to TRY TO put 3 more points up when you knew you had a whole half of possessions to practice kicking FG’s … Sorry, but if you call that time-out, you just advised FUBeAR that you WANT us to rough your Kicker and Holder. Gee - would sure be a shame if they were injured in the process, wouldn’t it.

Yeah - Coach Freshwater was a horse’s hindquarters at the end of the half. Prolly is all the time, but he really showed it there.

20 year-old Clay Hendrix woulda fought him right then or after the game for pulling that ish. Glad Coach Hendrix has matured. FUBeAR has not.
FU3, apaladin liked this
 #90039  by Affirm
 Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Jasper wrote:
But 1/2 our fans are complaining that my Rebels were mean to them by beating the crap out of Furman. Can’t have it both ways. If you sign up to lose a game by 76, don’t get mad when you lose by 76. Isn’t that fair?

Ole Miss may stop scheduling teams as bad as us anyway because when it’s this bad, it isn’t good for anybody. They get no credit unless they win by 70. & it wasn’t even good practice. A risk of injury with no real benefit like practice against their 3rd string would give them. Just kabuki theater on a football field.

Maybe next time they send us the $800K check and we send them a trailer full of FU uniforms for their scrubs to wear in an intrasquad game. Would be a much better game and we wouldn’t get hurt.
1. I doubt Furman fans think “your Rebels” were being mean.
2. I believe the check was not $800,000, but was actually only $500,000.
3. I doubt “your Rebels” will stop scheduling teams “as bad as” Furman. Fun was had by “your Rebels”.
 #90043  by gofurman
 Tue Sep 03, 2024 12:09 am
Affirm wrote:
Mon Sep 02, 2024 9:01 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Affirm wrote:
Jasper wrote:

1. I doubt Furman fans think “your Rebels” were being mean.
2. I believe the check was not $800,000, but was actually only $500,000.
3. I doubt “your Rebels” will stop scheduling teams “as bad as” Furman. Fun was had by “your Rebels”.
Here’s a stat I heard. Ole Miss paid ONE TRANSFER 800 k. They paid Furman 500k. One guy. Vs a whole team.

Question. Do we have a little NIL for football ?