• FURMAN AT OLE MISS-WE HAVE A CHANCE

#89920  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:43 pm
I mean, did any one expect this was going to be different? Honestly?

This is arguably the best football team Furman has ever played against. They are an SEC program, with all the size, speed, and depth that comes with that, but now with the added advantage of being able to pay for and immediately obtain nearly any player they want across the country.

None of us were particularly excited about this game. It was a money game against a program well-known for running up the score and blowing out opponents. This is what they do. Most teams we play would have gotten a 4+ touchdown lead and powered down. This team won't.

I thought the boys played hard. They were out-gunned tonight. They won't be out-gunned every night.

Get home, put this one behind us, and get ready for Charleston Southern.
 #89922  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:04 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:51 pm
A pretty good take from Keeler

My take is someone needs to start a Chucktown Southern thread fast because 76-0 needs to never be discussed again...
 #89923  by apaladin
 Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:23 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:51 pm
A pretty good take from Keeler

Wow did not know about the 2 injuries. Makes the already inexperienced secondary a target for every team we play, if it wasn’t already. CCH on the postgame said he as embarrassed. Said it a few times.
Last edited by apaladin on Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #89924  by gofurman
The Jackal wrote:

This is arguably the best football team Furman has ever played against. They are an SEC program, with all the size, speed, and depth that comes with that, but now with the added advantage of being able to pay for and immediately obtain nearly any player they want across the country.

None of us were particularly excited about this game. It was a money game against a program well-known for running up the score and blowing out opponents. This is what they do. Most teams we play would have gotten a 4+ touchdown lead and powered down. This team won't.

I thought the boys played hard. They were out-gunned tonight. They won't be out-gunned every night.

Please. OBVIOUSLY people across the country all expected more. That’s why the Vegas line with money $$$ was 43. That is the very definition of PROOF that people expected more. Half the money went on Furman plus 43. Stop and think about that. Then think Ole Miss covered that IN THE SECOND QUARTER. If it was so obvious they would beat us by 70 or whatever the line would have moved to 50. It didn’t.

I mean they tied a RECORD for most points EVER by Ole Miss. sure that’s one of their best teams ever but are we the worst opponent they’ve ever played. That hurts
apaladin liked this
 #89926  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 31, 2024 11:36 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:22 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 31, 2024 10:18 pm
According to the graphic, this ties Ole Miss for most points scored, but they've hit this mark twice recently against FCS teams. They put 73 on Mercer last year.
This has to be a new Furman record for most punts in a game: 12.
Tied.

We punted 12 times against the Appy’s in 1991 in Paladin Stadium, a game we lost 26-23 in 3 OT’s.
apaladin liked this
 #89930  by gofurman
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:51 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

Please. OBVIOUSLY people across the country all expected more. That’s why the Vegas line with money $$$ was 43. That is the very definition of PROOF that people expected more. Half the money went on Furman plus 43. Stop and think about that. Then think Ole Miss covered that IN THE SECOND QUARTER. If it was so obvious they would beat us by 70 or whatever the line would have moved to 50. It didn’t.

I mean they tied a RECORD for most points EVER by Ole Miss. sure that’s one of their best teams ever but are we the worst opponent they’ve ever played. That hurts

Ok. I’ll back off a little …. I see the scores of others
Last edited by gofurman on Sun Sep 01, 2024 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #89931  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:54 am
Not the result we wanted or hoped for. I was not going to be surprised with a lopsided game, though I expected it to be less lopsided.

Just a few take aways for me:

1. This was our least important game on the schedule. It was effectively a scrimmage - both teams played a lot of guys and the score did not really much matter. The remaining 11 games are far more important to us.

2. I'm tired of talking about the losses from last year. They are gone. We have the team we have. Move on.

3. I thought physically we looked good. We compared well size-wise in most spots. Their offensive line is massive and we are not likely to see that sort of unit again this season (maybe ever).

4. Hard to take much away from the game, offensively. We were out matched. We had a few nearly 40 yard pass plays, which we didn't see a ton of last year. We saw a lot of different running backs, all of whom appeared to have a good bit of elusiveness.

5. The secondary got beat a lot, but we knew that was likely to happen some tonight. The positive for the "inexperience" people is that now our DBs have a lot more of it.

That's an incredibly difficult offense to defense. They stress you vertically and horizontally. We couldn't really take away anything they wanted to do. Again, we aren't going to see a QB in Jaxon Dart's zip-code this season or receivers like this group.

6. The score was bad, but I'm also surprised that Ole Miss never really took their foot off the gas until late in the game. They went for several fourth downs, they threw deep balls the whole game, etc. We had a few missed tackles on up the middle runs, but I know we'll get that cleaned up.
 #89932  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:55 am
gofurman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I didn't see all of them, but there were a lot of lopsided scores.

Even South Carolina nearly hung 50 on our really good defense last year. It's just a different level of football.
 #89933  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 12:57 am
One of the the best performance by an FCS team today was Abilene Christian a 34.5 point underdog lost to Texas Tech 52-51 in OT.
Another interesting score, Middle Tennessee scorec with 15 seconds left to beat our former opponent Tennessee Tech. Middle Tennessee gets Ole Miss next. :shock:
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #89934  by The Jackal
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:04 am
Looking through their clips, I thought this was a good example of what made them so difficult to defense.

Formation spread us out wide with a TE. We are blitzing with both our Bandit and ILB pressuring inside. The other linebacker has to slide to the middle off the snap.

The do run action, and then the QB feints the quick hitch to the WR. Dalton, our CB, has to come up hard to take on the block of the TE. The TE fakes and releases up field. Dalton now can't get back in coverage and the safety hasn't rotated over.

I have no idea this is a busted coverage, but Dalton has no prayer out there.

#89935  by apaladin
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:20 am
One of the most disappointing things is we never came close to scoring. Didn’t even get close enough to attempt a FG. Doubt that has ever happened. This ended a 10 year string of not being shutout.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #89936  by Thorny
 Sun Sep 01, 2024 1:35 am
The Jackal wrote:
gofurman wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:

I didn't see all of them, but there were a lot of lopsided scores.

Even South Carolina nearly hung 50 on our really good defense last year. It's just a different level of football.
I thought Furman looked better vs. Ole Miss than South Carolina, ignoring the score.

Last year, Furman couldn't touch South Carolina's QB if their lives depended on it. Ole Miss may have been able to make Furman pay for putting pressure on the QB but that tool in our tool box was completely operational.

Last year, South Carolina could basically do the same thing over and over and Furman couldn't stop them (Furman's dbs could NOT cover SC's WRs). They're may have been several times that there were break downs in coverage, Furman's db's got beat, etc. but there were instances where Furman's db's matched up really well against the best collegiate WRs that money can buy.

I think Furman is going to win the conference. I might go as far as even saying I feel better about Furman's chances after watching this game.

On the other side of the coin, it really does weird me out that Ole Miss is paying some of their players more than they paid an entire football team to play this game.