• QUARTERBACK PREVIEW

#89535  by FUATT
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:53 am
I think this is going to be a really close call. Nehuel has shown he is a guy we could put in a game, but I think it really is about the other two. I think its going to be hard to go with Trey unless he really distances himself from Carson, but no question Trey has the ability to make some throws that no one else can.
FUBeAR liked this
 #89541  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:53 pm
FUATT wrote:
I think this is going to be a really close call. Nehuel has shown he is a guy we could put in a game, but I think it really is about the other two. I think its going to be hard to go with Trey unless he really distances himself from Carson, but no question Trey has the ability to make some throws that no one else can.
I love the idea of not relying on a true freshman.

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.
- We will dress out all three.
- If Hedden is the technical #2, he'll stay on the sidelines in an effort to redshirt him unless and until Jones has an extended absence for some reason. If the season is on the line, I think you forget the redshirt and move on.
- Regardless of where Garcia is on the depth chart, we will probably still see him as the technical #2 in relief/mop up duty.
- I'm inclined to think we won't see Hedden in the game early in the season in an effort to push the "four game" redshirt plan as late into the season as possible.
FUBeAR, MNORM liked this
 #89543  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:59 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:53 pm
FUATT wrote:
I love the idea of not relying on a true freshman.

My guess:

- Jones is the guy.
- We will dress out all three.
- If Hedden is the technical #2, he'll stay on the sidelines in an effort to redshirt him unless and until Jones has an extended absence for some reason. If the season is on the line, I think you forget the redshirt and move on.
- Regardless of where Garcia is on the depth chart, we will probably still see him as the technical #2 in relief/mop up duty.
- I'm inclined to think we won't see Hedden in the game early in the season in an effort to push the "four game" redshirt plan as late into the season as possible.
FUBeAR is FUBeAR and he endorses this message.
 #89546  by 'Din Djarin
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:11 pm
1. I can't imagine that Hendrix, Roper, et al don't know exactly who their QB1 is right now. My guess is that they also feel no need to publicize the decision yet.
2. I would imagine we'll try to play all 3 QB's against Ole Miss.
3. I am trying to view things more positively, so I'll say that if QB1 is not Carson Jones, one of the other two has impressed on a level that no one was expecting and we should be excited about that. For instance, I assumed that QB1 going into 2022 was Jace Wilson, and then I got to Paladin Stadium for that Thursday night game and some kid from PC was the starter and he ran and threw all over the field.
 #89549  by Afurmanfan
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 2:19 pm
I agree that CJ has the edge, but it says something about the quality of all 3 that it is going down to the last week. CCH will tell you we have never had this much high quality depth at QB.
Hedden has an NFL arm. One of our coaches told me that he hasn’t seen an arm like this in the FCS since Flacco.
Again- props to our staff on their recruiting. The lack of experience dead horse has been beaten to death- but from a standpoint of quantity and quality of talent across the board, this may be the best team in 20 plus years.
 #89552  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:13 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
I agree that CJ has the edge, but it says something about the quality of all 3 that it is going down to the last week. CCH will tell you we have never had this much high quality depth at QB.
Hedden has an NFL arm. One of our coaches told me that he hasn’t seen an arm like this in the FCS since Flacco.
Again- props to our staff on their recruiting. The lack of experience dead horse has been beaten to death- but from a standpoint of quantity and quality of talent across the board, this may be the best team in 20 plus years.
I think the lesson on QBs, to some degree, is that you keep recruiting them and let it work itself out.

There are major FBS programs that wish they had three starting caliber QBs on the roster. It's rare at the FCS level for sure.
 #89555  by fupaladin01
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:54 pm
I just hope Hedden is A) Confident he will be the guy in the future and is willing to work/wait OR B) He gets playing time this season and doesn't seek the transfer portal.

If the portal had been around in the Forcier days, we would have transferred to a G5 team by week 3. Can't leave your best athletes on the bench.
 #89556  by FUBeAR
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:08 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
One of our coaches told me that he hasn’t seen an arm like this in the FCS since Flacco.
Hendrix or Spangler?

The rest of ‘em were just barely tuggin’ on they mama’s housecoats when Flacco was flingin’ it around for the CeruleanChickens up in New-Ark.
 #89558  by FUpaladin08
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:33 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 3:54 pm
I just hope Hedden is A) Confident he will be the guy in the future and is willing to work/wait OR B) He gets playing time this season and doesn't seek the transfer portal.

If the portal had been around in the Forcier days, we would have transferred to a G5 team by week 3. Can't leave your best athletes on the bench.
At least one of these QBs will end up in the portal.
 #89559  by The Jackal
 Thu Aug 22, 2024 5:17 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2024 4:08 pm
Afurmanfan wrote:
One of our coaches told me that he hasn’t seen an arm like this in the FCS since Flacco.
Hendrix or Spangler?

The rest of ‘em were just barely tuggin’ on they mama’s housecoats when Flacco was flingin’ it around for the CeruleanChickens up in New-Ark.

This got my wheels turning to see if there was a connection.

Flacco played two seasons for UD, 2006 and 2007. I think the only common opponent UD had with Furman during that time was App State, who knocked the Blue Hens out of the post season in 2007. Though he did throw for 330+ yards against the Boonies in the loss, Hendrix was already at AFA by that point.

He may have just watched that game on TV. Even though FCS games were harder to watch nationally during that time, those post season games were on ESPN.

Interestingly, Flacco was on the Pittsburgh team that Furman took to overtime in 2004. He was a freshman QB and did not play.
 #89600  by FUATT
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 8:26 am
Afurmanfan wrote:
This. Hedden is making this hard because he is the real deal. He is not going to redshirt, he's going to play. He has a borderline P5 arm and is a great get for Furman if he plays within Roper's offense.
MNORM liked this
 #89603  by The Jackal
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:59 am
FUATT wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
This. Hedden is making this hard because he is the real deal. He is not going to redshirt, he's going to play. He has a borderline P5 arm and is a great get for Furman if he plays within Roper's offense.
If he's the guy, and they aren't going to redshirt him, then he just needs to be the guy.
apaladin liked this
 #89605  by FUBeAR
 Sat Aug 24, 2024 11:08 am
The Jackal wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2024 10:59 am
FUATT wrote:
Afurmanfan wrote:
If he's the guy, and they aren't going to redshirt him, then he just needs to be the guy.
CCH & CJR got dis