• Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

#83136  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:45 am
The Jackal wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:13 pm
apaladin wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:02 pm
Looks like we are going to go from one of the oldest, most experienced teams to one of the youngest most inexperienced teams in the country.
My guess is we’ll have a lot of third or fourth year players who’ve played a lot of football getting the opportunity to start.

They may not be household names, but they aren’t newbies.
Oh I get it. And hope they are ready

I just find it funny the slight “double talk”.

We say “they are Starters for a reason”! Meaning better than the backups. If the backups were better they would START.

Then some here almost seem excited for the backup. I’ll keep Blackshear any day of the week. His return WAS HUGE. he was a menace with Interceptions and pick 6s all year.

We also knew this was a special team because of EXPERIENCE. and, as Jackal said, a senior signal caller. Well - as it stands now - we have neither of those.

That said my primary concern is the OL. NOTHING correlates more to success and especially first 6 game success than returning STARTS ON THE OL. Great article on that a while back via sports illustrated. Very interesting. You could almost tie first 6 game vs Vegas spread and general success to return8ng STarts on offensive line. 3 or more returning starters yielded beating the spread and usually an extra win (4-2. Vs. 3-3) early season. 2 or less returning Starters - REGARDLESS OF PLAY PARTICIPATION by backups now starting (found that interesting) - you usually didn’t cover spreads and, more importantly dropped an extra game.

They were measuring 20 years of data versus expected WIN TOTAL for the year. 2 returning starters on OL? Typically those teams fall a win short of expectations. Like my 7.5 OU win total

I would be VERY HAPPY to win 8 games next year. Reg season.

Next season will be very telling as to overall depth and quality of our development… 7 wins ? Good. But Not quite the sustained success after two 10 win seasons. I expect a dip. 8 wins ? Ok. Maybe we have become consistent would be great !!!

Don’t want the 2004. 2005. Drop to 2006.

Again I expect a little drop. But hope for 8-3
 #83137  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:46 am
Anyway please keep us updated. Not sure of Heirs t at Samford. Or Person at UTC

Or Chandler Smith at Samford. He’s a speedy threat

I assume Artopeus returns to utc? He’s a good one
 #83140  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:44 am
https://www.espn.com/blog/ncfnation/po ... nsive-line

Air Force revamps its offensive line
Aug 27, 2010, 10:45 AM ET

Air Force assistant coach [OL Coach & OC] Clay Hendrix has been in this business 23 years, having seen his share of offensive linemen come and go.

Never has he seen five starters go at once.

Welcome to the 2010 season. Hendrix is tasked with breaking in an entirely new offensive line, and he has to do it in a hurry. After the season opener Sept. 4 against Northwestern State, Air Force plays BYU, then travels to Oklahoma and Wyoming before returning home to play Navy.

“We do have five new starters, but that can sometimes get a little blown out of proportion,” says Hendrix, going into his fourth season as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach with the Falcons.

————————- —— —- ———-

2010 Air Force Falcons
Date | Opponent | Rank | Result
Sept 4 | Northwestern State | | W 65–21
Sept 11 | BYU | | W 35–14
Sept 18 | at No. 7 Oklahoma | | L 24–27
Sept 25 | at Wyoming | | W 20–14
Oct 2 | Navy | | W 14–6
Oct 9 | Colorado State | No. 25 | W 49–27
Oct 16 | at San Diego State | No. 23 | L 25–27
Oct 23,| at No. 4 TCU | | L 7–38
Oct 30 | No. 8 Utah | | L 23–28
Nov 6 | at Army | | W 42–22
Nov 13 | New Mexico | | W 48–23
Nov 18 | at UNLV | | W 35–20
Dec 27 | vs. Georgia Tech | | W 14–7 (Independence Bowl)

* 9-4 / 5-3 (Mountain West)
* Unranked pre-season; became ranked as high as #23
* Losses to #4, #7 (by 3), #8 (by 5)
* Only 1 loss to an unranked opponent; @ 9-4 Poinsettia Bowl winner, San Diego State
* Wins over rivals Colorado State, Navy, and Army
* Win over P5 Georgia Tech (pre-season #16)
* Commander-in-Chief Trophy Winner
* Independence Bowl Champion
DeepPurple, dornb liked this
 #83144  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 7:53 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:
Looks like we are going to go from one of the oldest, most experienced teams to one of the youngest most inexperienced teams in the country.
My guess is we’ll have a lot of third or fourth year players who’ve played a lot of football getting the opportunity to start.

We say “they are Starters for a reason”! Meaning better than the backups. If the backups were better they would START.

Then some here almost seem excited for the backup. I’ll keep Blackshear any day of the week. His return WAS HUGE. he was a menace with Interceptions and pick 6s all year.

We also knew this was a special team because of EXPERIENCE. and, as Jackal said, a senior signal caller. Well - as it stands now - we have neither of those.

That said my primary concern is the OL. NOTHING correlates more to success and especially first 6 game success than returning STARTS ON THE OL. Great article on that a while back via sports illustrated. Very interesting. You could almost tie first 6 game vs Vegas spread and general success to return8ng STarts on offensive line. 3 or more returning starters yielded beating the spread and usually an extra win (4-2. Vs. 3-3) early season. 2 or less returning Starters - REGARDLESS OF PLAY PARTICIPATION by backups now starting (found that interesting) - you usually didn’t cover spreads and, more importantly dropped an extra game.

They were measuring 20 years of data versus expected WIN TOTAL for the year. 2 returning starters on OL? Typically those teams fall a win short of expectations. Like my 7.5 OU win total

Next season will be very telling as to overall depth and quality of our development… 7 wins ? Good. But Not quite the sustained success after two 10 win seasons. I expect a dip. 8 wins ? Ok. Maybe we have become consistent would be great !!!

You have presented quite the paradox.

Under your logic, no Furman team can be as good as the team that came before it, because players leave and are replaced by other players. The team will then become incrementally worse forever.
 #83145  by The Jackal
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 8:05 am
Example.

In 2022, Furman fielded a good defensive team. The defensive interior of that team was anchored by Cam Coleman, a 300+ lbs All Conference NG. His primary backup was Seth Johnson.

Coleman graduated. So did Johnson.

In 2023, the defense was better than in 2022. The run defense, in particular, was virtually unparalleled in the FCS.

The defensive interior for the 2023 team was anchored by Xavier Stephens, who had gained 20+ lbs and moved from backup DT to starting NG. Furman also signed transfer Sirod Cook from a D2 program, who was his backup.

It's folly to think that everything is static. Furman will bring in new faces. Guys you don't know much about are going to be dudes next season. This is how good programs operate.
 #83149  by FUBeAR
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:21 am
FurmanATT wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 9:00 am
Our transfers are really nothing to get excited about. Most are guys Furman can't educate any more. They've run the academic gauntlet. -- MD
“Can’t” implies an absence of choice, thus, in a sense, an absence of responsibility.

FUBeAR contends that choices have been made and/or are being made, for which those who have made or will make such choices are responsible.

These choices may be perfectly correct / 100% the right thing to do for the chooser(s), but they are still choices and should not, IFBO, be viewed otherwise. FUBeAR doesn’t think it’s “can’t.” He thinks it’s “has decided to” or “has decided not to.”

Furman University, as an entity, has chosen not to offer graduate programs in Business and/or Information Technology and/or Business Information Technology or any Graduate Programs, other than the broadening, yet still comparatively narrow, range of options offered.

Players, who have completed their undergraduate degrees at Furman, but still have NCAA Football eligibility remaining, who decide to use that remaining eligibility while playing for and studying at a different school, are choosing to do so. They could choose or could have chosen to pursue one of the graduate programs Furman does offer and continue to play Football for Furman until their NCAA Football eligibility is exhausted.

It may not be the right choice for Furman to offer a more diverse array of graduate programs and it may not be the right choice for some Players to pursue the graduate programs Furman does offer…but we should not deny that choices have been and are being made in this process.
 #83160  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 1:41 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Furman went 8-3 in the regular season in 2006.
 #83163  by FUTex
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:34 pm
Just weighing in here...

If an athlete has fulfilled his "implied" commitment, say four years, then god bless him for going out and trying new adventures. Isn't that what young people are supposed to do?

An obvious and very good reason for transferring is the graduate school itself. As many of you well know, there is a big difference in the opportunities (the starting job) depending on the type degree and name of the school. I'm thinking MBA, Law, Engineering...

Another good reason, even if he's only been at Furman for a year or two, is the young man just doesn't "fit in" at Furman. Be honest: Furman is a special place, but it isn't for everyone. If you can't level up your nerdmanship on occasion you may feel on the outs. And its kinda in a proverbial bubble with a certain vibe. Some people hate that. I had one friend who transferred to UGA because he said he had recurring nightmares of smiling Furman faces.

Some other understandable reasons:
-chasing a relationship
-closer to home
-farther from home
-fresh start on reputation
-want more wild times like you see in the movies (this is a fruitless pursuit, but I understand it)

I say thank you and bless them on their journey.

Oh, and I hate the portal.
 #83164  by apaladin
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 3:51 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:

There was a significant dropoff from 2005 to 2006. Remember it well. Counting playoffs 11-3 vs. 8-4. Went from a top 2 team in the country to losing in the first round.
Davemeister liked this
 #83166  by Paul C
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

By that logic every team would be worse than they were in the prior year, every year.....
 #83172  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:19 pm
Paul C wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2023 4:16 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

By that logic every team would be worse than they were in the prior year, every year.....
Paul is a very smart man. I respect most everyone here. But this statement is not true. I sort of jest :D The most I have ever seen us improve was the year Ingle Martin walked on campus. Not from general development

I get it. You CAN improve if the net of the losses is overcome by the net of the gained experience and some transfers. Like this past year. Huff was more experienced. We lost Jumper but others on OL did well. Miller at TE was a big loss but Pline jumped right in ! (Note that was a transfer 😀).

A good example is the The D lost Coleman but returned so MANY guys on the Front 7 who got stronger and improved that we had a NET GAIN. And man the DBs were all returners. Blackshear. Chizick. Ettc. that’s the key to being a perennial power.

Lose SOME sure… but reload - I just think this year may be a slight NET loss. That’s not an insult. Sooo many guys gone (instead of just Jumper on OL it appears Toomey and Hughes and …).

I mean I get it. But if we lost ALL 22 starters and say 20 backups on two deep does anyone think we would win 10 games down 42 of the starting 44 guys???

I just think there is some number of guys leaving at which you usually have. A drop off. That’s all

I jest some. However I do think we will not win 10 games this coming year. I mean if you REALLY think we have pure development and readiness you will go on record that we win 10 games again. Who among ye says this ???
 #83173  by gofurman
 Fri Dec 15, 2023 6:25 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
apaladin wrote:

Which was worse than 2005. And the ASS KICKING AT MONTANA STATE left a very bad taste. We got our freakin SH$T HANDED TO US Lol

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by gofurman

Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.