• 2024 SoCon Basketball Tournament March 8-11 (Asheville, NC)

#72274  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:27 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:23 pm
They need to get serious about crime control in Asheville.

Maybe so, but that's a different topic ;)

Thousands of FU fans made it up this past tournament and no issues, has anyone ever had an issue at the SoCon tourney in Asheville?
Roundball liked this
 #72275  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:35 pm
I have on multiple occasions. Many of them involve the homeless which is a sad story. I agree that the tournament should be moved. I love Asheville and even grew up there. It is not the city I grew up in now. I get concerned about the increase in crime every time I go back. Not to get to political but I think the city needs to put more into its police department. The crime is getting out of hand.
 #72276  by Roundball
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:36 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:27 pm
palafan wrote:
Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:23 pm
They need to get serious about crime control in Asheville.

Maybe so, but that's a different topic ;)

Thousands of FU fans made it up this past tournament and no issues, has anyone ever had an issue at the SoCon tourney in Asheville?
I go every year. Never had a problem. We go to Asheville often. Feel safe. Never had a problem. Quite frankly, I feel more fear driving up I-26 with the never ending road construction than I do walking the streets of Asheville. By the way, this happened in downtown Greenville today. https://www.foxcarolina.com/2023/06/06/ ... reenville/
Last edited by Roundball on Tue Jun 06, 2023 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #72277  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:40 pm
https://wlos.com/amp/news/local/ashevil ... -committee

“2022 violent crime rate trends 'historically high,' police tell Asheville leaders”

Glad you RB and other fans feel safe. I just don’t anymore after seeing headlines like this and hearing stories from my friends. Glad that there have not been any incidents during the SOCON tournament.
apaladin liked this
 #72278  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:45 pm
https://wlos.com/amp/news/local/ashevil ... -dismissed

I think a big reason why crime has increased is that the DA is letting offenders off.

“Currently, police are down around 40% of budgeted staff positions, Zack said. The department has a two-year, $225,000 contract with Epic Recruiting, an Arizona-based advertising firm that has worked with police recruitment around the country”
 #72281  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Jun 06, 2023 6:00 pm
I don't give a rats about the crime rate whether its good or bad makes no difference with regards to supporting my team at the end of the day, sure maybe they can move the tourney to Greenville one day, but in 2024 its going to be in Asheville and Ill be there to support the DINS and I hope all of you will too!

I suggest if you want to talk more about Asheville instead of the SoCon tourney you start another thread titled, "move the tournament out of Asheville once the current contract is up" and post away ;)

Back on topic, this thread is about supporting our team!
Roundball liked this
 #80231  by Roundball
 Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm
FWIW, Brad Brownell is on WCCP bragging about the Asheville Arena. Said it was his first time there. He touched on the arena itself, the lighting, the hospitality and the city of Asheville. He went on to say it was a perfect city and arena for an early season tournament. I hope Clemson has a great year and makes it to the Big Dance.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #82904  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 11, 2023 11:45 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:13 pm
FWIW, Brad Brownell is on WCCP bragging about the Asheville Arena. Said it was his first time there. He touched on the arena itself, the lighting, the hospitality and the city of Asheville. He went on to say it was a perfect city and arena for an early season tournament. I hope Clemson has a great year and makes it to the Big Dance.
That’s funny since there were only about 200 peeps in attendance.