• Furman @ Princeton Dec. 2nd

#81654  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:48 pm
And of course Foster got hurt on a ridiculous play right before halftime, just been that type of year.....
 #81656  by jesse174
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 5:17 pm
we dont have a lot of good ball handlers...williams should have never been out there holding the ball...Foster getting hurt did us in...need to consider activating a freshman guard if we have one that is good enough to help..we are very thin depth wise
 #81673  by Sad Din
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:00 pm
This L was squarely on SD

SD was watching the FB game on TV and the bball game on IPhone

Dins were up by 11. Then SD decided to turn the Bball game on TV.

That did it. Never never ever change anything when your team is ahead!!

Glad FB won, otherwise SD would have gone back to smoking and drinking today
apaladin, Fuonetime liked this
 #81679  by FurmAlum
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 8:41 pm
Watched the replay. The first half was pretty ragged but I thought we played really well in the second half especially without Foster. The effort was good and the D was good most of the game. The last 4 min. was a comedy of errors.

We lost that game at the free throw line.

We lost that game because we turned it over 5 times in the last 4 min.

We lost that game because we can't secure the ball on a rebound.

Hoop is right about the Refs. They called every touch foul on us the whole game and we would get bumped around driving to the basket and it was rarely called. Foster was mugged at the end of the first half and they didn't call it. Vanderwal drove the baseline at 3:46 and was fouled on his layup but it wasn't called and then they called a phantom foul on Hien reaching over a player 6" shorter. I watched the replay 4 times on Williams travel call at :26 and there is no way his pivot foot comes off the ground before he dribbles the ball.

But the bottom line is we should have never put the game in the Refs hands. Our offensive execution near the end of the game was terrible and I would have liked to see another guard on the floor.

No way we lose that game if Foster plays the second half. We've had a lot of adversity especially regarding injuries in the early season and we've just got to deal with it and keep on trucking.

I still think this team will be good by the end of the season and the tough early season schedule will pay dividends down the road.
furpop16, Sad Din, FU Hoopla liked this
 #81711  by apaladin
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 10:52 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 02, 2023 4:31 pm
This has been a pretty dissapointing season so far...
I tried warning ya
Yes PC me too. Haven’t watched the replay yet but just liooking at tbe boxscore looks like turnovers cost us the game. We had 19 Princeton 6. That is a huge difference. Thiught we might have a shot at Arkansas if they were still celebrating but without Foster that chance pretty much is down to zero. Foster is tbe one we could least affird to lose. Not only his scoring but everythung else he does well.
 #81713  by purplehorse123
 Sat Dec 02, 2023 11:32 pm
Truthfully no way we get an at-large bid to NCAA tourney so it all boils down to So Conf schedule to help set us up for tourney as always.

This would have been a great win but we largely sucked the last 3:57 when we lost an 11 point lead. No rebounding at all in Princeton’s last possession. Another stepping stone hopefully.
 #81727  by Fuonetime
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:10 am
I was at the game and i have a bit different opinion. According to Kempom and results this season so far Princeton has a higher rating and was the favored team. Also, pregame they unfurled their previous year Sweet Sixteen banner. They are a good team but not overwhelming and were beatable. We played hard and our defense was pretty good. The best player,imo, was #1, a guard. Very talented. We used our depth and rotated a number of players. Good to see Ben back on the floor. I think the Princeton fans and team were a little shocked how we built our second half lead. We were without our best player in the second half but were able to move ahead. Then things fell apart in the last 5 minutes. They were relentless and we were not able to successfully counter. It did come down to a desperation 3 point shot in the last few seconds. I was disappointed we didn’t call timeout, maybe we didn’t have one. As the team left the court i saw the hurt and tears in their eyes. I was proud of their effort and showed we can play on even turns with another mid major power. Our players got another test and there will be good coaching and learning opportunities from our mistakes. In the big scheme, this is more preparation for our conference schedule and end of the year tourney. I am still hopeful the best is yet to come and I think we will emerge as very good team. Go Dins!
furpop16, Bootie liked this
 #81729  by apaladin
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:15 am
Saw Foster’s injury and it wasn’t really a fall, he was on the floor in a scramble and looked like it may have been some sort of pull/strain, maybe a groin or hamstring?
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #81763  by Fuonetime
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:31 am
Our team are good ambassadors for the FU brand especially in the NE. Case in point, dressed in my FU purple I was asked by an elderly Princeton fan, “what state was Furman from?” i couldn’t come up with a funny retort so i replied, “South Carolina”. More exposure for good ole FU.
FU Hoopla, furpop16 liked this
 #81776  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 11:36 am
Fuonetime wrote:
Sun Dec 03, 2023 9:31 am
Our team are good ambassadors for the FU brand especially in the NE. Case in point, dressed in my FU purple I was asked by an elderly Princeton fan, “what state was Furman from?” i couldn’t come up with a funny retort so i replied, “South Carolina”. More exposure for good ole FU.

I look forward to us getting to whip them down here in South Carolina next season!
 #81795  by Sad Din
 Sun Dec 03, 2023 12:10 pm
It was a brutal L. In the last 3 mins Dins had 91% chance of winning...Two bad/missed ref calls, and a miracle out of bounds play made it possible

However, stats recognized the potential

The odds for Furman to earn the #1 seed in the Southern tournament are up 4% since yesterday.
• The chance of Furman winning the Southern tournament has increased by 2% since yesterday.