• Furman at Western Negative Nancy Game Thread

#77341  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:06 am
FUBeAR has a complaint to get this thread going…

WCU’s lilac shade is way prettier than our royal purple. It just goes so much better with FUBeAR’s wardrobe and even almost matches his eyes.

Why can’t we have a prettier, more feminine purple like the Cantamounts have? If we did, we could find more logo’d t-shirts and sweat pants in Wal-Mart.
AstroDin, Roundball liked this
 #77388  by Kennypowers
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 4:53 pm
Such a lame thread for a program that needs as many people as possible, often with different views and personalities, supporting the team, You’re basically saying, fans with ANY critical views don’t belong here. People on this board process frustration differently, with various levels of scrutiny and realism. Is it best to have nothing but praise? sure….but that’s just dumb, especially this year where we have a ways to go to justify our lofty ranking.

It should be noted the criticism on here is tame and generally, if not exclusively, team or coach focused…..not player oriented. So…like…..chill.
apaladin, Jasper liked this
 #77393  by Thorny
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:19 pm
And I'm worried about some of the fans on here driving recruits away.

Last year, after The Citadel game, I said that there was nothing wrong with beating a conference opponent and rival on the road by only a few scores and expected Furman to make a run in the playoffs. Obviously, some of the Furman players read that and didn't want to hang me out to dry.

We are looking at what appears to be the best Furman team in a decade, ranked 4'th in the nation, has 10 straight conference wins, made a very respectable run in the play-offs last year, and held the Samford offense to the least yards of any fcs opponent this season. Why would I want to come on here and hear that our defense sucks?

And if Furman loses to WCU next Saturday and these fans come on here to tell us all that they "told us so" and "Furman was over-rated all season" we may lose these fans anyway as I may feel the need to hunt them down.
Last edited by Thorny on Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:50 am, edited 3 times in total.
FUBeAR, gman84 liked this
 #77394  by FUBeAR
 Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:38 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
Such a lame thread for a program that needs as many people as possible, often with different views and personalities, supporting the team, You’re basically saying, fans with ANY critical views don’t belong here. People on this board process frustration differently, with various levels of scrutiny and realism. Is it best to have nothing but praise? sure….but that’s just dumb, especially this year where we have a ways to go to justify our lofty ranking.

It should be noted the criticism on here is tame and generally, if not exclusively, team or coach focused…..not player oriented. So…like…..chill.
Sorry - FUBeAR is confused by your post.

Which color of purple do you actually prefer?

WCU's feminine lilac version or Furman's rich royal version?

Maybe this will help you decide...

Purple rain liked this
 #77412  by Kennypowers
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:01 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:38 pm
Kennypowers wrote:

Sorry - FUBeAR is confused by your post.

Which color of purple do you actually prefer?

WCU's feminine lilac version or Furman's rich royal version?

Maybe this will help you decide...

More of a white on white guy
 #77421  by tim
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 4:49 am
Thorny wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:19 pm
And I'm worried about some of the fans on here driving recruits away.

Last year, after The Citadel game, I said that there was nothing wrong with beating a conference opponent and rival on the road by only a few scores and expected Furman to make a run in the playoffs. Obviously, some of the Furman players read that and didn't want to hang me out to dry.

We are looking at what appears to be the best Furman team in a decade, ranked 4'th in the nation, has 10 straight conference wins, made a very respectable run in the play-offs last year, and held the Samford offense to the least yards of any fcs opponent this season. Why would I want to come on here and hear that our defense sucks?

And if Furman loses to WCU next Saturday and these fans come on here to tell us all that they "told us so" and "Furman was over-rated all season" we may lose these fans anyway as I may feel the need to hunt them down.
Nobody is running away recruits and nobody will say I told you so and you will hunt nobody down. Nothing is happening on this board that doesn't go on on others x 10.
apaladin, Jasper, FurmanATT and 1 others liked this
 #77422  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:23 am
This forum has always had a positive decorum overall. That said many of the old posters have stopped posting due to some elements that sparked this thread.

I know that the Athletic admins, Coaches, Players, Players Parents, and Recruits read the board. Does a post turn off a recruit? I do not know of that especially happening. But I know that some posts have concerned the staff for various reasons.

Tim isn't wrong—"Nothing is happening on this board that doesn't go on on others x 10." The main difference here is, say, if you compare a board for Clemson or Carolina, the volume of overall conversations spreads things out.

On our board, the negative stuff can easily dominate a conversation, and that causes friction within our community, which is smaller. You have a right to say your peace.

I guess this all comes down to YOU and what type of fan you are. I'm not ashamed to say I wear purple-colored glasses. That doesn't make me a better Furman fan; it's just my type of fan. I'm realistic; I get upset and emotional about losses. I learned long ago to take a chill pill, close out the forum, and let some time pass. Not everyone does that, and that's your right.

The Samford game and the thread happening in real-time is a perfect example. Games have twists and turns, good plays and bad plays, etc. At times, the Samford thread IMO turned bitchy. Afterward, after the game was over and the actual totality of the game played out, a few of those venting acknowledged that it was a good win.

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is not hit the enter button in the heat of the moment. It's actually a powerful thing to do.

I do think we have a great community here; if I didn't, I would move on.
gman84, Paladin82, hypercycloid and 2 others liked this
 #77429  by gman84
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:27 am
If you have been a Furman fan for the last 20 years you have seen some of our highest highs and lowest lows. I want to enjoy our current highs. I became a Furman fan in 1979, I was a 17 year old high school senior. Some of you have an even longer history FU football.
I too, can get over emotional during a game and be negative. With age, I have tried to temper my emotions. Coaches, players, parents and recruits do read this board. Does it have an impact on them? I don't know.
Back in 2004, a player's father was posting negatively about the program because he was upset his son lost his starting position to a freshman that eventually became an NFL pro bowler. It really tee'd me off that he was trying to sabotage a season and a program. That explains why I get annoyed about negative stuff on this board. This I know, nobody that posts here is trying to hurt this program. We are passionate and want to win. Let's enjoy the ride. We are in a great position in the poles right now. If we slip up, it ain't over. ;)
dornb, Choir Boy liked this
 #77431  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:35 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 5:23 am
This forum has always had a positive decorum overall. 1) That said many of the old posters have stopped posting due to some elements that sparked this thread.

I know that the Athletic admins, Coaches, Players, Players Parents, and Recruits read the board. Does a post turn off a recruit? I do not know of that especially happening. But I know that some posts have concerned the staff for various reasons.

Tim isn't wrong—"Nothing is happening on this board that doesn't go on on others x 10." The main difference here is, say, if you compare a board for Clemson or Carolina, the volume of overall conversations spreads things out.

On our board, the negative stuff can easily dominate a conversation, and that causes friction within our community, which is smaller. You have a right to say your peace.

I guess this all comes down to YOU and what type of fan you are. I'm not ashamed to say I wear purple-colored glasses. That doesn't make me a better Furman fan; it's just my type of fan. I'm realistic; I get upset and emotional about losses. I learned long ago to take a chill pill, close out the forum, and let some time pass. Not everyone does that, and that's your right.

The Samford game and the thread happening in real-time is a perfect example. Games have twists and turns, good plays and bad plays, etc. At times, the Samford thread IMO turned bitchy. Afterward, after the game was over and the actual totality of the game played out, a few of those venting acknowledged that it was a good win.

Sometimes, the best thing you can do is not hit the enter button in the heat of the moment. It's actually a powerful thing to do.

I do think we have a great community here; if I didn't, I would move on.
This may seem TMI for some of you but this happened to me. Right here on this board.

1) Losing "those" posters was a GREAT THING. THE BEST THING POSSIBLE. The people who are left here are the better ones in my opinion. We still differ but that's ok. Not any real harsh stuff.
Hawg and others were so crass and mean that anything we post these days is NOT CLOSE. I have said before and will say again that I once talked about having seizures/epilepsy (I posted in support of another poster) and HAWG and GSU88 both made fun of my disability. I cannot imagine doing that!!! GSU88 said "GoFurman goes all flippity flop on the bus ride over". I was taken aback - truly shocked. I almost passed away from said seizures in high school. I WOULD NEVER make fun of a person's disability and their strength in sharing it. Hawg backed GSU saying "you shared it you should take what you get". Man, if you told me you had a heart attack I will be dammed if I would make fun of you. Look at what I posted about Petit. Prayers for the young man and his broken leg is not nearly as serious as life-long epilepsy. I was embarrased for Furman by the posts of Hawg and GSU. EMBARRASED. To the credit of others - numerous people here apologized for the GSU and HAWG posts (HAWG himself was too proud and said he would - and I quote - "never apologize". WOW. Now that is someone with a problem. I will apologize a lot - and have to.. LOL

2) We all have the right to free speech. That said, I try to post both "pro and con". See my post on Samford. - Nine sacks positive (AMAZING !) ... Hate that Petit got hurt... Hope Harris is OK. Noted that Brinson didn't play who we need etc. So Good, Bad, injuries whatever

3) I don't think there is ANYTHING wrong with posting in game and am a little hurt that anyone who does so is supposed to do so on this "negative nancy" thread.. whatever. I mean what if I post "great play by Blackshear" "Wonderful blocking by the OL? That now belongs on a negative nancy thread? Really?
Nope. That ain't right. just because the post is during the game doesn't make it negtative. Sometimes I ask "how did Roberto look when he came to the sideline?" That's not negative. Just seeking information. Or "has Brinson played today?.. these are actual things I post. Now they are forced into a "Negative Nancy" thread? That's not right.

FINALLY, I agree with Astro that we should take a minute to post. However, it is Everyone's right to enjoy the game the way they want. I enjoy posting throughout the game. That shouldn't be shunned. To think we can only post after the game is crazy and is tough (for us old guys) as it is hard to remember specific plays we may want to point out and exactly when thye happened - like "at 10:00 left in q2 this happened. " That is hard to do post game. Much easier to do IN GAME to say what the clock says.
Last edited by gofurman on Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #77432  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:36 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:27 am
If you have been a Furman fan for the last 20 years you have seen some of our highest highs and lowest lows. I want to enjoy our current highs. I became a Furman fan in 1979, I was a 17 year old high school senior. Some of you have an even longer history FU football.
I too, can get over emotional during a game and be negative. With age, I have tried to temper my emotions. Coaches, players, parents and recruits do read this board. Does it have an impact on them? I don't know.
Back in 2004, a player's father was posting negatively about the program because he was upset his son lost his starting position to a freshman that eventually became an NFL pro bowler. It really tee'd me off that he was trying to sabotage a season and a program. That explains why I get annoyed about negative stuff on this board. This I know, nobody that posts here is trying to hurt this program. We are passionate and want to win. Let's enjoy the ride. We are in a great position in the poles right now. If we slip up, it ain't over. ;)
Felton I assume ?

You are right regardless. Don't want your son to play to the detriment of the program !!! Let the best man play - and I am with HBK - I think the best DL should play a little more than they do... not quite so much rotation. You don't see this at the big FBS who are successful. But what do I know. We will see this weekend.

rabbit hole. Interesting we rotate DL so much but OL almost never?
 #77433  by AstroDin
 Mon Oct 16, 2023 8:45 am
JT, I could make a long list of people who don't post here regularly anymore.
I do not want to take this into a personal conversation—things are not always one-sided. The relationships I've had in my life where problems have occurred; I might not want to admit it, but I played a role in that problem, too.
Stumpy, Choir Boy liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by FU Hoopla

Mon Sep 16, 2024 8:15 pm

Default Avatar Napier

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:54 pm

Default Avatar What do we know about our team

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:50 pm

Default Avatar POSTGAME PRESSER

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:41 pm

Default Avatar Furman v Stetson

by gofurman

Mon Sep 16, 2024 6:34 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.