#76975  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:53 pm
Kennypowers wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 6:28 pm
Some of you folks are right……not a revenge game. That’s a fake concept as far as players go. You don’t remember what happened a year ago. you just say you do and you play a new game against new players. And if you win, you just say it was motivating after because it’s everyone’s fake narrative. So none of this int thing matters and you should be fired up to play simply because you’re playing for a championship and you really cant afford to lose. Was at the game last year…..we didn’t lose because of that play. We lost because we let them run up and down the field on us afterwards.
THIS> SO MUCH THIS. Even our players admitted it. After that play didn't we still have the dam lead? Great teams don't let one bad call mess them up. One of our players specifically called this out - wish I could recall who. But he said "We had the game and screwed up.. YEs, it was a bad call but WE needed to be better as a team and go on and win".

He was right. Move on. Win. Suck it up and don't whine
 #76976  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 8:54 pm
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 pm
Jayquan Smith out for the year, dang! CCH said it would be a long recovery. Prayers for him. RB was one of the deepest positions at the start of the year. Now 5 games in its probabky the thinnest. CCH said would probably see Wayne Anderson some.
We are dropping RBs like flies. Good grief.
 #76978  by gofurman
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:29 pm
So, at least for my worthless .02 here is what Sammy has done: (NOT counting Shorter and Auburn)

My .02 I think Samford is a dangerous team. Heirs has the talent and they are more than willing to air it out which is our weakness at times on D. I would much rather play a team that was determined to run every time...

AT WCU (before anyone realized WCU was so freakin good!) they lost 7 - 30
Samford gained 360 yards (I am gonna be rough w numbers). 300+ in air.. only 40 + on ground. I like that they were one dimensional
WCU gained about 550 yards roughly as 260 passg and 280 rushing. The 280 rushing encourages me. Granted, WCU may have the best O in the conference.

V UTC Sammy lost 47 - 24 but it was 3 turnovers that hurt them.. They played fairly even
Sammy had 470 yards.. UTC had 430 total yards
Sam had 300 passg yards and 170 rushing. That is impressive to me. 170 rushing v UTC is pretty good I think?
UTC had 320 passing yards and only 100 rushing at 2.9 yards per carry.. pretty stout run D by Sammy honestly

VETSU - tied at half but again with the turnovers.. Sammy had 4 and ETSU only had 1. thus ETSU hung around for a half.
You have to be seriously better to win with a neg 3 turnover ratio!!! Big time better.
Sam had 550 total yards.. 400 passing and 150 rushing.
ETSU posted 340 yards.. 120 passing and 220 rushing. Pretty impressive was ETSU on ground - 6.8 yards per carry!

AT WOFF - here Sam just took care of business. no playing around. Impressive - no "show up and win" attitude.
total yards for Woff =- 250
total for Sammy - 450
Woff got 110 passing and 140 rushing. Encouraging that Woff - despite no offense - ran for 4.9 per carry
Sammy got 250 passing and 200 rushing.

One thing that stands out is that Sam will go 50/50 run pass unless they get behind (captain obvious) - then they get pass happy as vs WCU and Chatt.

I do hope if we get the chance that we DONT DROP INTs. Those interceptions have loomed larged in Samford's losses

3 of the 4 games showed that Samford can be run on. WCU Woff and ETSU all had nice yards per carry

This game will not be easy. I see Samford as below WCU and UTC but above everyone else (50/50 w Mercer?). We cannot play like we did v Citadel and expect to win on the road this week - KILL EM DINS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 #76982  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 11:07 pm
Samford's offense is such that it's really hard to find a lot of trends. It moves fast. The throw a lot. They're going to put up yards.

One trend that seems to hold pretty true is third down. Samford is 0-3 when the opponent converts 7 third downs.

Put another way, keep their defense - what has historically been their weakness - on the field and the offense - their strength - on the sideline.
apaladin liked this
 #76983  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 5:13 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:59 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:49 pm
Samford message board, like usual not much going on over there!
I would like for FU to be in a league one day that has other schools with actual fan support for football and basketball..................
https://samford.proboards.com/board/4/general
I noticed that about Mercer too. FUBear and a couple of others and that was it.

Indeed!

Little Sammy and Wofftard are the most pathetic in terms of football support by far...............

Heck Sammy has never even had more than 30 people show up to the SoCon Basketball tournament and I am sure all those are player parents, it's pitiful, fan support at that school is an absolute joke :lol:

Meanwhile FU football is hitting a high mark of 12,000+ and FU basketball is hitting a high mark of 6,000+, despite having an enrollment of 2,500 compared to 5,500 at Sammy, congrats to the FU admin on hitting these marks!
Last edited by FU Hoopla on Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:10 am, edited 2 times in total.
 #76989  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 7:58 am
Samford is apparently calling Saturday a "red out."

Of course, Samford recently removed all red elements from their football uniform.

Their announced attendance for the last home game was around 2900 fans. There's a real possibility that Furman fans may out number Samford fans on Saturday.

#76992  by gofurman
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:22 am
Maybe we do this - did we on the first game? i wasnot at that one... I like the idea of giving out T shirts for a white out or purple out. It looks good !

have we done this?
 #76996  by stonemd
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:13 am
I’m driving past Furman today. Are practices open to the public? If so what time and where do they practice?
 #76997  by FurmanFan23
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:23 am
gofurman wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:22 am
Maybe we do this - did we on the first game? i wasnot at that one... I like the idea of giving out T shirts for a white out or purple out. It looks good !

have we done this?
We did for Dins after Dark. The students got a free black t shirt. That was the first game of this season and then I believe it happend at the end of last season as well.
 #76999  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:11 am
The Jackal wrote:

Of course, Samford recently removed all red elements from their football uniform.

Their announced attendance for the last home game was around 2900 fans. There's a real possibility that Furman fans may out number Samford fans on Saturday.

Not passing shirts out until halftime!?!? :D

Is this an attempt to make sure they don't all leave early lol, I don't expect it but would be unfortunate for them if the game is all but over by halftime :lol:
QCGlue liked this
 #77001  by FUBeAR
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 11:22 am
The Jackal wrote:
Putin lovers!
 #77004  by Flagman
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:12 pm
The Jackal wrote:

Furman fans have always shown up for the games at Samford.
 #77005  by The Jackal
 Tue Oct 10, 2023 12:37 pm
Furman has typically drawn well at Samford.

If the Bulldog faithful turn out like they did against ETSU, it may turn into a Furman home game.
dornb liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.