#76899  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:12 am
apaladin wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 9:22 pm
wcugrad95 wrote:
Sun Oct 08, 2023 8:35 pm
I am a WCU fan, but most of you know that I have some FU ties. @kennypowers is spot-on. If a bad call with around 10 mins left in the second quarter is the reason a team goes on to give up 34 points after, that has a lot more to do with the team losing than it does with any official's ruling. This game will be about what Furman and Samford do this Saturday in Homewood and will have nothing to do with what went down in SC last year.

Furman is a top-10/top-5 team depending on the poll. Samford is starting to find a bit of their offensive groove. This game will be about if FU can stop the passing game of Samford and/or if the Bulldogs have any answer to the running game of the Paladins. As a WCU fan, I am glad to kick-back and watch this one because I am not sure either of those will be fully answered and this could be a really close game.
WCU grad-IMHO I think you are a little off here. First FU will not stop SU’s passing game. There is no reason to think it will or even slow it down. FU is giving up well over 200 yds a game to some really bad FCS offensies and it would be worse if Mercer had thrown more than 17 passes. Still don’t understand why MU didn’t throw more. This week FU will face by far the best qb they have seen along with the best passing tean as a whole. On top of that FU has no pass rush to write home about. I’m sure the FU coaching staff will try to come up with something to get more pressure maybe blitz some? As far as the FU running game it has struggled all year, certainly no juggernaut by any means, and most of the yards have come from qb Huff which is not good. 3-4 yds is the norm for the most part, plus now 4 of the top 5 rbs are out. I think the key will be if the FU O can move the ball and keep the Sammy O on the sidelines more than not. It’s really time for FU to quit living on what they are supposed to be and step up and BE what they are supposed to be,

As I mentioned on your other post, if you take away the two passes thrown by Carter Peevy right before half time to Ty James, he was 9 of 14 for 65 yards for the game.

Why does it matter who our leading rusher is? Why is that "not good?" Especially considering the injuries we have at running back right now?

Does it bother you that Armanti Edwards was App State's leading rusher on one of the most prolific offenses I've ever seen? Jayson Foster had 1,000 more rush yards for Georgia Southern than their top running back.
 #76901  by gman84
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:58 am
Yes, football 2023 is a different game. Qbs are sometimes a team's leading rusher in college and the NFL. That's why they are called dual threats.
 #76910  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 10:28 am
gman84 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 9:58 am
Yes, football 2023 is a different game. Qbs are sometimes a team's leading rusher in college and the NFL. That's why they are called dual threats.
With the potential exception of Desmond Reid at Western Carolina, Huff is arguably the best open field runner in the Southern Conference.

Just ask this guy:

#76949  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 1:54 pm
Jayquan Smith out for the year, dang! CCH said it would be a long recovery. Prayers for him. RB was one of the deepest positions at the start of the year. Now 5 games in its probabky the thinnest. CCH said would probably see Wayne Anderson some.
 #76953  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:27 pm
I had forgotten this, but probably worth mentioning that the only team to hold Samford to fewer pass yards last year than Furman was Georgia.
 #76954  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:28 pm
apaladin wrote:
Jayquan Smith out for the year, dang! CCH said it would be a long recovery. Prayers for him. RB was one of the deepest positions at the start of the year. Now 5 games in its probabky the thinnest. CCH said would probably see Wayne Anderson some.
It didn't look great for Smith in real time. I hate that. I hope for a speedy recovery. He'll be a good one.

Anderson came to Furman as a RB and has been playing a type of slasher role all season. I guess it'll be Roberto, Anderson, and Hicks.
 #76956  by FUBeAR
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:46 pm
Listening carefully to this week's edition of "Furman Football Weekly" has enabled FUBeAR to ascertain that this fine Team reached down deep this past Saturday and was able to overcome that most ominous of death knells - lack of a TNC Winning Performance.

Seems the Player Leaders have recognized this shortcoming and met to ensure this failure to execute never happens again. If Coach Food and Len have to come out of retirement (or the grave) to support the effort, then that's just what'll have to happen. We are expecting an Outstanding Performance this week and then up the next day to head off to Homewood on Friday to properly dispatch the bullpups on Saturday.

LET'S GO!! #FUATT
Last edited by FUBeAR on Tue Oct 10, 2023 1:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
QCGlue liked this
 #76957  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:27 pm
I had forgotten this, but probably worth mentioning that the only team to hold Samford to fewer pass yards last year than Furman was Georgia.
Georgia wasn’t that good! :lol: :lol: :lol: JK
 #76958  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:49 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 2:28 pm
apaladin wrote:
It didn't look great for Smith in real time. I hate that. I hope for a speedy recovery. He'll be a good one.

Anderson came to Furman as a RB and has been playing a type of slasher role all season. I guess it'll be Roberto, Anderson, and Hicks.
Didn’t Hicks get hurt Saturday also?
 #76961  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 3:45 pm
If you are into speed, here's a touchdown with Anderson, Hinton, and Cannon on the field at the same time.

Cannon doesn't get the ball much, but he looks like he can absolutely fly. I believe he's one of the "gunners" on the punt cover team, which is usually reserved for physical guys that can really run.

Not exactly sure how this was supposed to be blocked, but Cannon outruns 3 Citadel defenders. So, he can scoot.

#76963  by The Jackal
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 4:55 pm
I've watched a fair amount of Samford at the point. A couple of things I notice (and interested in Bear's take on the subject).

1. The offensive line seems to pretty much gives away what they are doing. The line pass blocks so frequently that they are almost always moving backwards every snap. When they move forward, it's almost always a run play.

2. The line also doesn't seem super mobile. They are big, but it's almost as though they don't intend to create a pocket, but rather move backward in unison to create more of a wall. My mental image is a retreat keeping the line in order. There's very little pulling, scooping, or getting to the second level.

3. Hiers almost never really carries out a fake other than to sort of half heartedly throw his arm after handing the ball off. Samford has a few designed draws for him to keep teams honest, but he seems very unlikely to run the ball. Even taking away sacks, he rushes for about 16 yards a game.

4. Defenses appear to have most success when they can get a big push up the middle with the defensive linemen and get in his face. Teams also have success getting their hands into throwing lanes, which may be somewhat of an advantage to Furman who has a lot of tall linebackers and linemen.

5. I also think there has to be some sort of math equation in their breakneck speed. The offense has a play called, but they aren't checking with the sideline for modifications. The play is the play. Very little pre-snap motion. Everything appears pre-determined with little variation.

6. It's almost like defending an option offense - you have to play assignment sound football and get their guy to the ground. If you force them to short gain you to death, eventually they'll make a mistake, get a negative play, tipped ball, sack, interception, etc. We can't let them turn the game into a track meet.

#76971  by apaladin
 Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:59 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2023 7:49 pm
Samford message board, like usual not much going on over there!
I would like for FU to be in a league one day that has other schools with actual fan support for football and basketball..................
https://samford.proboards.com/board/4/general
I noticed that about Mercer too. FUBear and a couple of others and that was it.
FU Hoopla liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Next opponent. Bill and Mary

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 6:09 pm

Default Avatar Score guess for Furman vs Stetson

by gofurman

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:51 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by Sad Din

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:25 pm

User avatar Roster Addition

by cavedweller2

Thu Sep 19, 2024 5:10 pm

User avatar Countdown to Tip-Off

by FU Hoopla

Thu Sep 19, 2024 2:46 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.