Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:42 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:40 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:07 pm

DINS is here to STAY and it is great!

Can we at least agree to always include the apostrophe? I would’ve much preferred unis with ‘DINS to the otherwise confusing DINS - but that’s just me.

I've never seen any other school use an apostrophe.....................

I see your point (Dawgs, Cocks, etc.). Still, those nicknames stand on their own. “DINS”? At least the apostrophe would confirm it’s a nickname - might even compel some to look-up “Paladins”. Education !!
FU Hoopla, FU69 liked this
 #68583  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:09 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:49 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

Can we at least agree to always include the apostrophe? I would’ve much preferred unis with ‘DINS to the otherwise confusing DINS - but that’s just me.

I see your point (Dawgs, Cocks, etc.). Still, those nicknames stand on their own. “DINS”? At least the apostrophe would confirm it’s a nickname - might even compel some to look-up “Paladins”. Education !!
All good, I just want some of this dumb complaining of DINS to cease lol, I am old school at heart on most things but I mean come on guys use your brains, literally hundreds of schools use shortened names as branding and marketing and it WORKS!
At the tourney Let's Go DINS was the loudest chant in the building the entire weekend, don't kill that fun ;)
furpop16, Roundball liked this
 #68591  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:53 pm
FUBeAR recently read how 1 Furman Athletics Hall of Fame Member characterized these nicknames / usages…

“A Paladin is a Bad Ass! A Din is his baby brother!”

Seems fair. FUBeAR is, his own self, a baby brother, so he believes those 2 characterizations are not mutually exclusive. More about chronology than awesomeness.

Know another FU Hall of Famer who can’t stand the term SoCon vs. Southern Conference.

FUBeAR don’t care ‘bout either of those. Call ‘em what ya like.

Just need to stay (primarily) with white Football helmets and the <F> logo and he’s a happy online persona.
Mr. Taggart, Bootie, FU69 liked this
 #68595  by fupaladin01
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:32 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:51 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:16 am
I would love a good, old-fashioned felt pennant with 2023 SoCon Champs on it. My little cubicle is adorned with various championship pennants from other teams I support, and Furman needs to be represented.
While I admire the alliteration of “‘dins are dancing “, the general public doesn’t know what a ‘din is. As an old timer and an unapologetic traditionalist, I’d like to see us use Paladins. We’ll never build our brand using. “‘Dins” or alternative logos. Ditch the white uniforms with DINS.
100% with you Flagman. I'm 25 years younger than you and I find it annoying as well. "FU" jerseys would be a big seller... but PALADINS is who we are.
FU69 liked this
 #68596  by fupaladin01
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:34 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
furpop16 wrote:
FU Hoopla wrote:

That's because they don't know any better
FU69 liked this
 #68597  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:38 pm
fupaladin01 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:32 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:51 am
'Din Djarin wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:16 am
I would love a good, old-fashioned felt pennant with 2023 SoCon Champs on it. My little cubicle is adorned with various championship pennants from other teams I support, and Furman needs to be represented.
While I admire the alliteration of “‘dins are dancing “, the general public doesn’t know what a ‘din is. As an old timer and an unapologetic traditionalist, I’d like to see us use Paladins. We’ll never build our brand using. “‘Dins” or alternative logos. Ditch the white uniforms with DINS.
100% with you Flagman. I'm 25 years younger than you and I find it annoying as well. "FU" jerseys would be a big seller... but PALADINS is who we are.

And we will always be Paladins, just like South Carolina will always be Gamecocks!

But also as they have Cocks as a short and catchy term (as do hundreds of other schools) we will also have DINS :D

It's a brilliant move, wish we would have thought of it sooner!!
 #68598  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 2:39 pm
Anybody got a video of the 'Let's Go DINS' chant from SoCon tourney? Man that thing was loud and awesome at the tourney all weekend long this year!!!
 #68601  by Roundball
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Anybody got a video of the 'Let's Go DINS' chant from SoCon tourney? Man that thing was loud and awesome at the tourney all weekend long this year!!!
No, but that beautiful chant still rings in my ears. Let’s go DINS! Honestly, it just sounds better that chanting, let’s go Paladins!
FU Hoopla liked this
 #68605  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:30 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 3:19 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
No, but that beautiful chant still rings in my ears. Let’s go DINS! Honestly, it just sounds better that chanting, let’s go Paladins!

Indeed, probably why nobody ever did a let's go Paladins chant, it just does not work and is one of the big reasons for using a shorter version.
Again, we will always be Paladins first and foremost, but DINS works for so many other great things its perfect to now have them both................

Onwards and upwards!!

#68611  by Flagman
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:19 pm
The dictionary defines a din as a “ a loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noise.”

I can just hear it at Clemson, “Let’s go “‘gers.”
 #68612  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:57 pm
Flagman wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:19 pm
The dictionary defines a din as a “ a loud, unpleasant, and prolonged noise.”

I can just hear it at Clemson, “Let’s go “‘gers.”

Don't be an old grump bud
Now tell me all the definitions you know for Cocks :lol: :lol:

DINS is here to stay, get used to it! ;)
 #68616  by FUBeAR
 Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:23 pm
FUBeAR’s Penn State friend does take serious offense when FUBeAR asks him how his “Nittanies” are doing.

So…FUBeAR asks him this often. In fact…need to send him a “How ‘bout them Nittanies” text right now.
furpop16 liked this
 #68647  by Roundball
 Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:49 am
We are going to the Big Dance and some are complaining about saying, “Go Dins!” Come on good people, let’s celebrate and focus on what matters.
furpal81, FU Hoopla liked this
 #68650  by AstroDin
 Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:58 am
We used DINS in some marketing when Terry Bradley was the head of Athletic Marketing (the mid-90s).
I'm pretty sure we did a DINS after Dark ad for a night football game.

It was met with love or hate… mostly hate back then.

I won't get too far into the weeds of the psychology of branding, but I'll give you an example.
I worked on the identity of a new Table 301 restaurant; the owner loved one of the names a lot, he went against what everyone else recommended and chose The Lazy Goat.

Many years later, the restaurant is called by its shortened name by its fans… The Goat. This shortened name effect is typical of cultish, ritual behaviors. Those in the know, the uber fans, often call a brand by its the shortened name. It's an act of endearment.

Another example… B. F. Goodrich tires. Go to an off-road event and chat with a Jeeper. They'll tell you how much they love his/her BFGs.
Roundball, FU Hoopla liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by gofurman

Sun Jun 30, 2024 9:01 pm

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Sun Jun 30, 2024 6:31 pm

User avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by FU Hoopla

Sun Jun 30, 2024 3:02 pm

Default Avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by Affirm

Sun Jun 30, 2024 7:48 am

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:01 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.