• 2021 Spring Season

#37097  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:27 pm
Roundball wrote:
Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:52 am
Excellent piece in The State. “ No need to do a double-take. Yes, spring college football is happening in SC.”
BY MATT CONNOLLY

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/sports/college ... rylink=cpy

This article also highlights something that Furman seems to be anticipating.

Furman is supposed to be good. They’ll probably be a contender in the fall too. They may play a bunch of games. Building depth and spreading snaps around to a big chunk of the roster is going to limit, in some way, over use in a year that may see us play 20+ games.
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #37110  by The Jackal
 Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:18 pm
Also,

Samford and ETSU played what appears to have been a pretty ugly game in Johson City. Samford's QB was sacked 8 times. ETSU's 6. The Bulldogs jumped out early, but as has been typical of Chris Hatcher in recent years, his team struggled to make adjustments during the game. Bucs came back late to win.

Wofford beat Mercer handedly, but it's hard to look at the box score and reach that conclusion. Mercer was not expected to be good, and their QB situation is still very much unsettled. The game appeared to be a very Wofford-y affair, good running, strong defense, strangling their opponent at home.

VMI, UTC, and the Citadel did not play.

I believe UTC and Wofford are slated to play next week. That game will, I think, be a critical one in this abbreviated SoCon race.
 #37130  by gofurman
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Also,

Samford and ETSU played what appears to have been a pretty ugly game in Johson City. Samford's QB was sacked 8 times. ETSU's 6. The Bulldogs jumped out early, but as has been typical of Chris Hatcher in recent years, his team struggled to make adjustments during the game. Bucs came back late to win.

Wofford beat Mercer handedly, but it's hard to look at the box score and reach that conclusion. Mercer was not expected to be good, and their QB situation is still very much unsettled. The game appeared to be a very Wofford-y affair, good running, strong defense, strangling their opponent at home.

I believe UTC and Wofford are slated to play next week. That game will, I think, be a critical one in this abbreviated SoCon race.
i REALLY hope that Woff UTC game is played (it was UTC w the COVID this past wk) - that forces a loss on one of them and they are two of the better teams.
 #37135  by The Jackal
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Also,

i REALLY hope that Woff UTC game is played (it was UTC w the COVID this past wk) - that forces a loss on one of them and they are two of the better teams.

That will certainly be a big one. I think Wofford, UTC, and Furman will be top billing this year.

Around the country, it'll be hard to track, but the only major notable loss is Austin Peay dropping their contest to Tenn Tech. APSU is a team consistent ranked around Furman nationally and might put one of the the OVC front runners behind the 8 ball early.

Also, Elon squeaks out a win against Davidson. What happened to the Phoenix?
 #37138  by Roundball
 Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:12 am
The Jackal wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:52 am
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
Also,

That will certainly be a big one. I think Wofford, UTC, and Furman will be top billing this year.

Around the country, it'll be hard to track, but the only major notable loss is Austin Peay dropping their contest to Tenn Tech. APSU is a team consistent ranked around Furman nationally and might put one of the the OVC front runners behind the 8 ball early.

Also, Elon squeaks out a win against Davidson. What happened to the Phoenix?
I think we play at Tenn. Tech this fall, in September.