• 2021 Spring Season

#36633  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:25 pm
The Jackal wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:18 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 2:16 pm
AnkleBiters Head Coach’s profile is the target of a Wikipedia War around his current Employer & Role

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josh_Conklin

In Jan. he interviewed for, but was not selected to be Illinois’ DC. Now he’s pursuing the same role with the Vols. Man wants his ticket out of SparkleCity, ASAP, doesn’t he?

If UT-K hires him, they sure won’t wait until April for him to hit the SEC Recruiting trail & to miss Spring Practice.
I think Wofford's DC just took an analyst job with LSU (like a week or so ago).

Things may be unwell.
...and their DL Coach just bolted for the Houston Texans. Replaced him with a GA from Pitt, who played @ Methodist College in NC.

And...you are not allowed to use the word “unwell” in the midst of a pandemic
 #36634  by gofurman
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 3:40 pm
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:
AnkleBiters Head Coach’s profile is the target of a Wikipedia War around his current Employer & Role

In Jan. he interviewed for, but was not selected to be Illinois’ DC. Now he’s pursuing the same role with the Vols. Man wants his ticket out of SparkleCity, ASAP, doesn’t he?

If UT-K hires him, they sure won’t wait until April for him to hit the SEC Recruiting trail & to miss Spring Practice.

Things may be unwell.
Their DC left and now is with the NFL (LSU to Vikings?). Not sure about 'unwell' bc that has to pay the big $$$ - the freakin' NFL ! Woff had another guy leave for the NFL too ... TWO coaches leave Woff to the NFL? That is sick. What gets me is anytime I ask about coaches leaving FU I am told it is good that others want our coaches. When they leave other schools I hear that things are not good there. Which is it ? That said I am glad they are having coaching upheaval

--
On another note I see Chatt is probably not playing VMI and then not playing Woff is now possible - how is the conference champ determined? Win percentage? That would Not be right in that we could end up with a Woff team having not played a top-tier Chatt team... you see the problem that could arise here. A 5-0 team would get in over a 7-1 team.. That's a real problem. How are they going to determine conference winner?
 #36635  by FUBeAR
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:15 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Things may be unwell.
Their DC left and now is with the NFL (LSU to Vikings?). Not sure about 'unwell' bc that has to pay the big $$$ - the freakin' NFL ! Woff had another guy leave for the NFL too ... TWO coaches leave Woff to the NFL? That is sick. What gets me is anytime I ask about coaches leaving FU I am told it is good that others want our coaches. When they leave other schools I hear that things are not good there. Which is it ? That said I am glad they are having coaching upheaval

--
On another note I see Chatt is probably not playing VMI and then not playing Woff is now possible - how is the conference champ determined? Win percentage? That would Not be right in that we could end up with a Woff team having not played a top-tier Chatt team... you see the problem that could arise here. A 5-0 team would get in over a 7-1 team.. That's a real problem. How are they going to determine conference winner?
Lots of “depends” in your comments / questions. Woffy’s DC left for an Analyst job at LSU & then left that quickly for a QC job with the Vikings. I know 2 Mercer PLAYERS that spent a year or 2 as “Scouts” with NFL Teams & are now in jobs with titles like QC - I don’t know enough about the NFL or P5 Staffs, for that matter, to say whether their DC left for a “great opportunity” or not, but I know that he didn’t leave for a “real” Coaching job. The DL Coach left for an Asst DL Coach job w/Texans - no idea about that either...If Conklin gets DC job in P5, that will surely pay more than Woffy HC - but he’s been there before - was DC @ Pitt.

I really don’t care about their career choices or arcs. I’m just glad to see any sort of turmoil in SparkleCity. Hope they go 0-7-1 this Spring - same record that I hope the bellhops have.

Win % works in the midst of a pandemic - trying to add a SoS +/- will lead us to the kinds of silly circuses we see in our Nation’s Capital every day. We need no more of that garbage.
 #36638  by gofurman
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:47 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:15 pm
gofurman wrote:
The Jackal wrote:
FUBeAR wrote:

Things may be unwell.

--
Lots of “depends” in your comments / questions. Woffy’s DC left for an Analyst job at LSU & then left that quickly for a QC job with the Vikings. I know 2 Mercer PLAYERS that spent a year or 2 as “Scouts” with NFL Teams & are now in jobs with titles like QC - I don’t know enough about the NFL or P5 Staffs, for that matter, to say whether their DC left for a “great opportunity” or not, but I know that he didn’t leave for a “real” Coaching job. The DL Coach left for an Asst DL Coach job w/Texans - no idea about that either...If Conklin gets DC job in P5, that will surely pay more than Woffy HC - but he’s been there before - was DC @ Pitt.

I really don’t care about their career choices or arcs. I’m just glad to see any sort of turmoil in SparkleCity. Hope they go 0-7-1 this Spring - same record that I hope the bellhops have.

Win % works in the midst of a pandemic - trying to add a SoS +/- will lead us to the kinds of silly circuses we see in our Nation’s Capital every day. We need no more of that garbage.
True sometimes. But not always. If someone says "Covid" and goes 3-0 who didn't play Chatt or Furman or team X ... and a 7-1 Furman team... I wouldn't worry but I already see Chatt missing games and probably Chatt v Woff where one woulda taken a loss. If that game doesn't happen that's a big miss. 3-0 beats 7-1 on a percentage every time and yet maybe that's a weaker team. Personally I think there should be a minimum of 6 / 7 games out of the 8 to qualify

To wit - I remember a certain Colgate team who didn't come down.. would we have won? Who knows.. But it would have been nice to play it out.
Last edited by gofurman on Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 #36639  by The Jackal
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:49 pm
I think it is one thing to have larger programs hire your assistant coaches. I think it is another thing to, on the eve of the season, have a bunch of your coaches trying to leave at the same time. The latter is usually a red flag.

I had suspected that a similar situation might befall the FCS teams trying to play this spring - our spring season is going to coincide closely with the "coaching carousel" of offseason moves for larger programs.

I'll say this, if Wofford's coaching staff is focused on finding new jobs, they aren't focused on stopping Furman.
 #36644  by Paladonian
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:28 pm
I'm ready for some February football! A question that I have, that has prolly already been discussed and answered somewhere on here....what about the concession stands? Open? Closed? Prepackaged drinks and snacks? Bring your own? As happy as I will be to be back in the stadium, 3.5 hours is a long time to go with a bottle of water or something.
 #36645  by Flagman
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 6:31 pm
Paladonian wrote:
I'm ready for some February football! A question that I have, that has prolly already been discussed and answered somewhere on here....what about the concession stands? Open? Closed? Prepackaged drinks and snacks? Bring your own? As happy as I will be to be back in the stadium, 3.5 hours is a long time to go with a bottle of water or something.
During the last few years our concession stands wouldn’t provide lids or straws for drink cups.
 #36648  by Flagman
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:00 pm
Following is from a note sent to football parents:

Home Stadium info:
No umbrellas
Concessions will be open
No clear bag policy
Masks required
Paladonian liked this
 #36649  by Roundball
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:01 pm
Paladonian wrote:
BYOB.
FUBeAR liked this
 #36654  by Rokawaylifer
 Fri Feb 12, 2021 9:18 pm
What’s in flask? I favored old crow from that state store just north of bonats in the golden 70s. Graduated to old fofo in my dotage with Buffalo trace as a deserved treat now and again.
Furmanoid wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:03 pm
Flask weather.