• 2021 Spring Season

#34811  by AstroDin
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 am
This post on Saturday reminded me - we're 8 Saturdays away from kickoff…
I can't find an exact date but practice starts next month.
 #34813  by aqualung
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:00 am
Would love to start getting excited but I just can't. Would anyone be surprised if the whole deal gets cancelled? With this slew of rising cases nothing would surprise me.
 #34816  by Flagman
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 11:48 am
AstroDin wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 8:01 am
This post on Saturday reminded me - we're 8 Saturdays away from kickoff…
I can't find an exact date but practice starts next month.
That is my question, also. When does practice begin?
 #34818  by The Jackal
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:38 pm
aqualung wrote:
Would love to start getting excited but I just can't. Would anyone be surprised if the whole deal gets cancelled? With this slew of rising cases nothing would surprise me.

We may see schedule changes, like many programs. I find, though, that if your priority is to get in a football season, you'll make it work.

What I have not seen is guidance from the SoCon on tiebreaker procedures in the event games are continued/canceled.

The Big10, for instance, used a pretty complicated formula to determine who could play in the title game. I assume the SoCon may have to use something similar in conjunction with deciding the automatic bid. https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/E ... 53768797_2
 #34820  by aqualung
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:48 pm
The Jackal wrote:
aqualung wrote:

We may see schedule changes, like many programs. I find, though, that if your priority is to get in a football season, you'll make it work.

What I have not seen is guidance from the SoCon on tiebreaker procedures in the event games are continued/canceled.

The Big10, for instance, used a pretty complicated formula to determine who could play in the title game. I assume the SoCon may have to use something similar in conjunction with deciding the automatic bid. https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/E ... 53768797_2
I hope that you are right. Would love to see the Dins in a couple months doing there thing.
 #34821  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:14 pm
The B1G guidelines were a joke as they immediately changed them when OSU didn’t qualify. They knew OSU was the only team that could get in the playoff and bring money to the conference. Money talks.
 #34822  by gofurman
 Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
aqualung wrote:

"Guidance from the SoCon' is one of them there oxymorons.. like "jumbo shrimp' or 'alone together' (the last particularly apt this year
apaladin liked this
 #34825  by The Jackal
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:10 am
gofurman wrote:
Mon Dec 28, 2020 9:33 pm
The Jackal wrote:
aqualung wrote:

"Guidance from the SoCon' is one of them there oxymorons.. like "jumbo shrimp' or 'alone together' (the last particularly apt this year

There just isn't going to be a chance, I think, to quickly reschedule games or move the schedule around to accommodate canceled games.

If a team has to shut down and a game isn't played, and there's only likely one SoCon bid, how do you determine that bid? Would a 5-0 team get the bid over a 7-1 team?
 #34826  by Furmanoid
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am
Has the SoCon come out with its protocols for when to cancel games, contact tracing, number of days for isolation, etc.? Seems like games were cancelled based on some arbitrary percentage of positives+ close contacts. Games were cancelled if teams were down 20 players or so leaving them with only about the same number of players as an FCS team or about twice as many as the average high school.

Those rules varied a good bit between fbs conferences. It seems like the Big 10 for some reason decided to out protocol everybody else and made it nearly impossible to play. They’ve now adjusted protocols to get OSU up to full strength. There were also cases in the ACC and Big 10 where teams unilaterally shut down games that would have been played under the agreed upon protocols. I hope the fcs guys have learned from all of that.

They can also at least consider the fact that full seasons were played involving thousands of players, and it doesn’t appear that anyone became seriously ill. Also no conferences or schools have been sued out of existence. So MAYBE slightly less restrictive measures are in order and fewer games will need to be cancelled.
 #34827  by Flagman
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:21 pm
The schedule doesn't allow any time to postpone or reschedule games if we still want to make the play-off.

"Would a 5-0 team get the bid over a 7-1 team?"
Only if that team is NDSU!
 #34829  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:31 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 11:20 am
Has the SoCon come out with its protocols for when to cancel games, contact tracing, number of days for isolation, etc.? Seems like games were cancelled based on some arbitrary percentage of positives+ close contacts. Games were cancelled if teams were down 20 players or so leaving them with only about the same number of players as an FCS team or about twice as many as the average high school.

Those rules varied a good bit between fbs conferences. It seems like the Big 10 for some reason decided to out protocol everybody else and made it nearly impossible to play. They’ve now adjusted protocols to get OSU up to full strength. There were also cases in the ACC and Big 10 where teams unilaterally shut down games that would have been played under the agreed upon protocols. I hope the fcs guys have learned from all of that.

They can also at least consider the fact that full seasons were played involving thousands of players, and it doesn’t appear that anyone became seriously ill. Also no conferences or schools have been sued out of existence. So MAYBE slightly less restrictive measures are in order and fewer games will need to be cancelled.
I don’t know Furmanoid...I heard just this AM that Covid is now causing serious Psychological problems. Seems patients, with no prior psychological problems, post-Covid, are developing severe paranoia, hallucinogenic psychoses, self-harm imaginings, and even erectile dysfunction.

There is, literally, no end to the disasters that we will be told this virus has brought upon us.

Humanity is looking at 4th & 37. Our only choice, obviously, is to punt.
apaladin liked this
 #34831  by Furmanoid
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 2:51 pm
Don’t forget the new strains that may be worse and resistant to the vaccine. And don’t forget that we can still spread the virus after being vaccinated. I don’t see how we avoid a nationwide shutdown in January.

Have you noticed that we aren’t hearing the I told you so horror stories out of SD anymore? It looks like their devastating outbreak lasted for 3 or 4 weeks and is now waning. Hard to figure since they broke all of the expert rules. Maybe they’re having a heat wave.
 #34832  by FU3
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 pm
North Dakota has the 4th and South Dakota has the 7th highest death rates in the US in some of the least dense areas in our country so I am not sure we would want to emulate whatever that “plan”was.
 #34834  by FUBeAR
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:05 pm
FU3 wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:04 pm
North Dakota has the 4th and South Dakota has the 7th highest death rates in the US in some of the least dense areas in our country so I am not sure we would want to emulate whatever that “plan”was.
Yeah, yeah, yeah...Death Rates are one thing we should consider, but let’s get to the real meat of the issue....

What is their post-Covid ED rate?

And, when will that metric be added to the CDC daily graphs?
Should we expect to see it spike up after the Holiday get-togethers or will we see a persistent downward turn?

We NEED to know these things, so we can apply this science to our prevention / protection actions.

Oh...and just in case any of y’all think FUBeAR is trying to be funny... https://www.prevention.com/health/heal ... ronavirus/ ...even the headline says “According to Doctors”...so...SCIENCE!
 #34837  by Furmanoid
 Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:26 pm
The point with SD is that they had a major spike that may well be over. Other states are still cruising along with flattened curves racking up numbers with no end in sight. Who knows how it will settle out? It is also worth noting that a high percentage of deaths in SD are among native Americans ( real ones, not 1/32 Cherokees like around here). Also the percentage of the population over 80 is equal to Florida. Only these old codgers live way the hell out 100 miles from doctors.

I mostly want SD to do well so their gov can run for President and maybe pick Tulsi as her running mate.