• Effort to rename Johnson Hagood Stadium

#28924  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 am
They should copycat Furman and just call it Hagood Stadium. What used to be James C. Furman Hall is now just named Furman Hall after some unspecified and hopefully untainted member of the Furman family. Surely there is some acceptable Hagood somewhere.
 #28925  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:37 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:29 am
They should copycat Furman and just call it Hagood Stadium. What used to be James C. Furman Hall is now just named Furman Hall after some unspecified and hopefully untainted member of the Furman family. Surely there is some acceptable Hagood somewhere.
FUBeAR nominates this one...

https://www.goupstate.com/article/NC/1 ... 5193593/SJ
 #28944  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 am
I worked with Carol Hagood. She helps out student athletes and is a great asset to the community!

https://www.furman.edu/people/carol-hagood/
oooh - that would be awesome - re-name the bellhops’ stadium in honor of an African American Female Furman employee. What’s the link to petition.org?
 #28948  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:25 pm
FUBeAR wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:53 pm
JohnKX512 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:37 am
I worked with Carol Hagood. She helps out student athletes and is a great asset to the community!

https://www.furman.edu/people/carol-hagood/
oooh - that would be awesome - re-name the bellhops’ stadium in honor of an African American Female Furman employee. What’s the link to petition.org?
We can certainly refer to it as Carol Hagood Stadium henceforth on this here board. Good job John KX512. Good to here from you.
 #28954  by HB88
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:10 pm
I wouldn't enjoy this too much because if responses to the current crisis fail to moderate then we could end up defending the very name of our institution.
 #28956  by FUBeAR
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:24 pm
HB88 wrote:
I wouldn't enjoy this too much because if responses to the current crisis fail to moderate then we could end up defending the very name of our institution.
FU?

Seems innocuous enough....although FUBeAR Jr was once counseled that he was not to wear his purple T-Shirt with “FU” writ XL on the front to his HS a 2nd time. So, I guess I see your point.
 #28960  by Furmanoid
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:41 pm
HB88 wrote:
Oh, I don’t see how it can survive. Going by the sentiments I see expressed by many here, there is no justification for keeping that name. I would be willing to bet the administration is already game planning this one. I guess FU will have to do.
 #28964  by HB88
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:36 pm
Our guy was Revolutionary War, not the Confederacy. We should be okay.
True, but after the war his views on slavery became quite influential, including his 1822 "Exposition of the Views of the Baptists Relative to the Coloured Population of the United States", which, according to the Wikipedia article, "set out the arguments that Southerners would use to defend slavery until the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution (1865) finally put an end to slavery in the United States." So, not sure anything is OK on this front.
 #28965  by JohnW
 Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:22 pm
HB88 wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:41 pm
JohnW wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:36 pm
Our guy was Revolutionary War, not the Confederacy. We should be okay.
True, but after the war his views on slavery became quite influential, including his 1822 "Exposition of the Views of the Baptists Relative to the Coloured Population of the United States", which, according to the Wikipedia article, "set out the arguments that Southerners would use to defend slavery until the Thirteenth Amendment to the United States Constitution (1865) finally put an end to slavery in the United States." So, not sure anything is OK on this front.
My point is he did not take up arms against the United States. They'll have to get Clemson first, their guy not only owned slaves but moved back to SC from Maryland to join the Confederate army. I'm just saying Furman is down the list a bit on having a naming issue.

Recent Topics

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by FUwolfpacker

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:39 pm

User avatar The Future Home Of Furman Basketball

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 11:00 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:59 am

User avatar FU HOOPS DOC

by FU Hoopla

Wed Jun 26, 2024 10:58 am

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Wed Jun 26, 2024 8:37 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.