• Good or bad or neutral for Furman & other SoCon Football?

#14691  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:10 am
JMU appears poised to move to FBS and take UConn’s place in AAC. (UConn has moved to the Big East. UConn does not plan to drop to FCS for football, and it does not appear that AAC will keep them for football only.)
Will JMU’s move to FCS help Furman, hurt Furman, or neither?
I am thinking that having one less powerhouse to get past on the path to FCS championship could help Furman.
 #14694  by gman
 Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 am
It's never a good thing to lose a powerhouse in the FCS. It dilutes the competition, making a FCS championship mean very little. We are quickly getting to that point. I hope no other teams move up. I like quality competition. I want us to be the best of the best.
 #14697  by Affirm
 Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:26 pm
gman wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 11:00 am
It's never a good thing to lose a powerhouse in the FCS. It dilutes the competition, making a FCS championship mean very little. We are quickly getting to that point. I hope no other teams move up. I like quality competition. I want us to be the best of the best.
I guess it dilutes the level of interest in FCS as well. And it gives players that we may be recruiting an increased opportunity to go to FBS, making recruiting very good players increasingly difficult for all FCS programs, including Furman.
I believe there are currently approximately 126 FCS schools. I believe 30 of those abstain from the playoffs (SWAC, MEAC, Ivy League). So that leaves approximately 96.
FCS could fairly easily move to a 64-team playoff, which would include no byes and would run for 6 weeks, with the 6th week being the championship game. If FCS doesn't want to do this, FCS should expand the playoffs to 32 teams instead of the current 24 (24?) teams. Thereby, the series would continue at its present 5 weeks. Either of these scenarios, 64 (6 weeks) or 32 (5 weeks) could increase interest in FCS. I do realize that regular season FCS games would be made slightly less important due to better chances for every team to get into the expanded playoffs; but I believe the regular season games would be only slightly less important, and 2 or 3 or 4 losses in the regular season would not knock a team out of contention, therefore it would be possible to maintain interest through the whole season until the team loses (or not) in the playoffs.
By the way, I note that, of the 96 participating (non-abstaining) schools, Furman is one of the smallest enrollment, actually smaller than all but 6 other FCS schools.

Furman has 2,777 students (2,662 undergraduates + 115 graduate students).

The only schools in FCS smaller than Furman are the following:

Northeast Conference
    Saint Francis University, 2,309

Patriot League
      Lafayette College, 2,610

Pioneer League
        Davidson College, 1,950
          Presbyterian College, 1,172

Southern Conference
            VMI, 1,653
              Wofford College, 1,692

So, of the 126 schools presently in FCS, Furman is smaller than all of 119 of them in terms of student enrollment. Furman's enrollment is 120 out of 126. The 4 schools transitioning to FCS (University of North Alabama, Merrimack College, Long Island University, and Dixie State University) are each also larger than Furman.

The enrollment of James Madison University is 22,667.

Recent Topics

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 18, 2024 5:29 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by apaladin

Tue Jun 18, 2024 10:28 am

User avatar Preseason '24

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 18, 2024 8:28 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Tue Jun 18, 2024 2:11 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:39 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.