• Wake Forest

#11267  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 02, 2019 9:10 pm
Paladins fall 13-7 to a mediocre Wake team. 2 games tomorrow will likely be rained out.
 #11287  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:38 am
This really happened in that 13-7 loss to Wake:

FU batter hit a grand slam (the game was already out of reach, btw) and was called out for passing a runner on base.

Looks like it might be that kind of year...
 #11291  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:15 pm
Paladins drop game 2 5-1. Lazaro pitched 6 innings and gave up 2 runs and 3 hits. Paladins got 2 of their 3 hits with 2 outs in the ninth to avoid the shutout. Paladins whiffed 15 times.

Update: WF completes the sweep 11-2. In game one FU scored their only run with 2 outs in the 9th. In the second game FU scored their 2 runs with 2 outs in the ninth thanks to WF walking the bases loaded. Paladins fanned 25 times in the 2 games today. This WF team is not great. They have already lost to Liberty, Quinnioac and Elon. Thinking CBH was way too optimistic in his preseason comments.
Last edited by apaladin on Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #11331  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:34 am
Honest question ... I know we've had mild success in the past, and there are smallish private schools that do play decent baseball, but is this one of the few sports at Furman that will always be a struggle? No worries, no school can be good at every sport, but it seems we might have over-inflated expectations for what the program can actually achieve. Although, to be fair, injuries have destroyed the team already this year.
 #11337  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am
Ron won with sub-par facilities and no dedicated baseball building. I would submit that our facilities are now on par with anyone in the conference that has an on-campus stadium. I guess thats the reason for inflated expectations.
 #11341  by cavedweller2
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:34 am
On The Hop.

10 Quality Hacks on the High Tee.
 #11344  by fufanatic
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 12:32 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am
Ron won with sub-par facilities and no dedicated baseball building. I would submit that our facilities are now on par with anyone in the conference that has an on-campus stadium. I guess thats the reason for inflated expectations.
Completely fair. I know we were trying to get fully-funded under Smolla, but never heard if that happened or how far away we are. Baseball already draws the short end of the straw when it comes to scholarships at the NCAA level, so I can imagine that if we are short on that front, it's even harder to put together a quality roster due to the price to attend Furman. It's my understanding that very few players get full rides to play baseball in college, so if you're only getting a quarter of a scholarship or a half scholarship at Furman, that could still mean six figures that you're trying to come up with for a diploma.
 #11375  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:04 pm
I was kinda hoping the game with Clempson Tuesday would be called off due to cold weather and rescheduled. Just can't go watch baseball in 40 degree weather, hard enough to do for football. Prolly be a beatdown anyway.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by bigpurple75

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:22 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 8:19 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Mon Jun 17, 2024 6:44 am

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:46 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.