• Baseball Facility

#41046  by tim
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:52 am
Roundball wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:58 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:20 pm
Look affirm, I’m just telling it like it is. But maybe I’m wrong. Where are these areas where soccer is preferred over football and basketball? OK Asheville, maybe, but it’s too weird to count.

I didn’t say soccer is a bad sport. I just said that people in our region prefer other sports because they do! So if your student body is made up of people who’d rather watch soccer than football, that indicates that said student body is not representative of our region AT ALL.

Now some people cheer that on apparently thinking that Southern public schoolers are too dumb for Furman. I was pointing out that in my area, the miniscule number who go to Furman while very bright, are not the best of the best (like it used to be). I’m in the schools every day and I’m pretty up on the class rankings. Our best are going to Alabama after aggressive recruiting. Most of the rest of the best go to Clemson. A couple of legacy types go to Wofford. Every now and then one or two go to Furman. I shouldn’t have mentioned the oddness.

This all bugs me because I feel like I have a special connection to the place. Two brothers and my father went there. Five aunts went to FU or the women’s college. Richard Furman officiated my 4th great great grandfather’s wedding. They married sisters. But now this school named for a Revolutionary Baptist preacher from the High Hills of the Santee has been turned into an agnostic Yankee finishing school! And they like soccer more than football!!!!! That’s messed up.
Thank God Furman is no longer affiliated with the Southern Baptist Convention. Have you kept up with the shenanigans going on there? Also, the student body has not been representative of our region in a long time, which is not all bad.
Funny thing to thank God for. There are no shenanigans in the Southern Baptist Convention. The messengers don't meet in convention until Tuesday in Nashville. Is Furman a better school after leaving that affiliation? The answer will always be a matter of opinion.
 #41047  by Furmanoid
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:35 am
tim wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:44 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am
tim wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 6:07 am
What is the average attendance at an FU soccer game?
Men’s - 215/game in most recent season
Women’s - 149/game in most recent season
OK, any favorite sports survey is irrelevant considering those low numbers and the fact that not all those are students. May as well ask their favorite color of Jellybean.
Better steer clear of that jellybean survey for obvious reasons.
tim, Davemeister, apaladin liked this
 #41054  by Louis Tully
 Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm
Don't discount the popularity of Soccer and the way it is growing around here. Drive by the MESA complex pretty much any Saturday or Sunday. It is usually packed to the rim.
 #41061  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 am
Louis Tully wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:31 pm
Don't discount the popularity of Soccer and the way it is growing around here. Drive by the MESA complex pretty much any Saturday or Sunday. It is usually packed to the rim.
Greenville is hosting a huge number of players and families next weekend for the regionals. Like it or not, soccer is the sport of our youth. https://www.usyouthsoccer.org/south/sou ... pionships/
 #41065  by Davemeister
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:13 pm
Shouldn't this be posted in the "Soccer" Forum? Come to think of it, why do we still have a "Baseball" Forum?
Roundball liked this
 #41068  by apaladin
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:50 pm
Soccer is popular because anyone can play. If you are in shape and can run you can play soccer. No skills are necessary as in other sports.
 #41070  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:17 pm
Soccer is popular with kids now because their mothers won’t let them play football as they are unable to comprehend concussion statistics. Even so, most soccer kids I know don’t get too excited about watching it. They’d rather watch football. Mom will let them do that. The rest of the world is stuck with soccer because they don’t have good sports. Just another reason why they all wish they were us.
 #41071  by Sad Din
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:16 pm
Suddenly and without provocation folks have decided to show their ignorance...

SD thought he was the only one to do so. Join the club folks!
 #41072  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:45 pm
Yeah, I felt like I was a little over the top with that last one. But rereading it, about the only thing I would change is maybe the last couple of words. Where am I wrong with it? Do kids really watch soccer? (Video games don’t count. Everybody lays FIFA). Where is the evidence that they do?
 #41073  by Sad Din
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:49 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Yeah, I felt like I was a little over the top with that last one. But rereading it, about the only thing I would change is maybe the last couple of words. Where am I wrong with it? Do kids really watch soccer? (Video games don’t count. Everybody lays FIFA). Where is the evidence that they do?
IDK.. maybe the part about the rest of the world? :lol:
 #41074  by Roundball
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Kids don’t watch any sport on tv. They want and need instant gratification. Watching a sport for a few hours on tv is not going to happen. Here is an article from 2013. It has only gotten worse since then. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 2218839786

This is a few years old too, but is still a good one that shows the average age of those watching sports on tv keeps going up. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-s ... 2017-06-30
 #41075  by FUBeAR
 Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:25 pm
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:42 am
like it or not, soccer is the sport of our youth.
Yeah - been hearing this for 50 years.
Kyle Rote Jr., son of an NFL Star Player, was the breakthrough Soccer player who clearly demonstrated that the USA was on the veritable cusp of turning their backs on Football, Basketball, and Baseball to join the rest of the world, as Kyle Jr. had on his Father’s game, in their unbridled love for only “real football”…in 1973.

I’ll wait.

BTW - FUBeAR loved PLAYING Soccer as a cub. Those top Players (the ones that don’t spend most of their time rolling around faking injuries) are amazing athletes. That said, the fake injury crap ruins the game and, unfortunately, has made its way into ‘our’ sports (lookin’ @ you LBJ); personally, I have no interest in watching it as a spectator sport (to each his/her own though - 10 hour videos of paint drying have almost 1M views, y’know); and Players don’t ‘run constantly for 90 minutes’ as they/fans like to claim - lots of standing around & slow jogging during those 90 minutes.
 #41076  by Furmanoid
 Sat Jun 12, 2021 9:31 am
Roundball wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 5:09 pm
Furmanoid wrote:
Kids don’t watch any sport on tv. They want and need instant gratification. Watching a sport for a few hours on tv is not going to happen. Here is an article from 2013. It has only gotten worse since then. https://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424 ... 2218839786

This is a few years old too, but is still a good one that shows the average age of those watching sports on tv keeps going up. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-s ... 2017-06-30
Thinking back, I didn’t watch that many games all the way through when I was a kid. I’d watch some, get restless and go outside to play something. My point was that playing a game in your youth doesn’t mean you’re gonna like to watch it later on. I was a tennis player. I can watch about 2 minutes of pro tennis. But in old manhood I can watch hours of football (have considered using a catheter for Redzone).

Anyway, I’m now persuaded that the surveying showing that our students are soccer fans was spurious. I feel better now.
 #41079  by Sad Din
 Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:44 pm
Going back to original post, anyone know if in fact Latham Stadium will become a lax field and if anything is being done to it?

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Roster Rebuild

by youwouldno

Sat May 18, 2024 2:11 pm

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sat May 18, 2024 11:04 am

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by FUBeAR

Sat May 18, 2024 4:44 am

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by FU Hoopla

Fri May 17, 2024 11:27 pm

User avatar 100 DAYS

by apaladin

Fri May 17, 2024 10:28 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.