• Wofford

#14041  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri May 10, 2019 7:06 pm
Furman takes the first of a doubleheader in Spartanburg, beating the Terriers 7-3. Bertrand helps out by going 8 innings and saves some pitchers for Game 2. Teams will play second game tonight and Game 3 will be TBA. Weather and FU graduation on Saturday may impact when Game 3 will be played.
 #14047  by MidlandsPaladin
 Fri May 10, 2019 11:03 pm
Paladins win the nightcap 9-3 to sweep the doubleheader. We move to within a half game of the Terriers in the standings. Looks like we might be peaking at the right time with the tourney less than two weeks away.
FUKA61, Fessor liked this
 #14050  by apaladin
 Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 pm
Samford has wrapped up first place but the battle for second could be very interesting next Thursday-Friday and Saturday. Currently the next 4 teams, FU, WC and Mercer all have 9 losses and UNCG has 8. The matchups for the final week has those 4 teams playing each other.
Mercer at Furman
Wofford at UNCG
Couldn't have scheduled it any better.
 #14052  by FUBeAR
 Sat May 11, 2019 5:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 11:48 pm
Samford has wrapped up first place but the battle for second could be very interesting next Thursday-Friday and Saturday. Currently the next 4 teams, FU, WC and Mercer all have 9 losses and UNCG has 8. The matchups for the final week has those 4 teams playing each other.
Mercer at Furman
Wofford at UNCG
Couldn't have scheduled it any better.
While Samford will probably end up in 1st place, they don’t have it locked up quite yet. They have 5 SoCon games remaining and have 4 SoCon losses...so they COULD get to 9 losses. They, theoretically, could still finish as low as 3rd place as (Mercer) AND (UNCG OR Wofford) could still finish ahead of the HomewoodHounds.

Baseball Conference
Samford 15 - 4
Mercer 13 - 8
UNCG 11 - 8
Wofford 11 - 8

If they use Head-to-Head as a tiebreaker and Samford ‘only’ got to 8 losses, they would beat out UNCG, who they swept and Wofford, who they took 2 of 3 from. But, Mercer took 2 of 3 from Samford, so I think Samford needs any combination of 1 SoCon win & 2 SoCon wins, 1 SoCon win & 1 Mercer SoCon loss OR 2 Mercer SoCon losses AND 1 SoCon loss each by UNCG and Wofford in order to clinch 1st place outright.
 #14070  by MidlandsPaladin
 Sun May 12, 2019 5:23 pm
Game 3 - Paladins fall behind 7-0 before scoring 8 unanswered runs to take the lead. It didn't last, though, as a walk-off two run homer in the Terrier ninth prevents the sweep.

Despite the loss today, it's hard to be too upset with this team after how they have played lately and how they battled back in this game after they could have just packed it in going down 7 runs.

And in what some are calling the greatest year ever in Wofford athletics, we still took two of three of the major sports against the Terriers (not to mention most of the other sports as well). 8-)
 #14071  by apaladin
 Sun May 12, 2019 7:23 pm
Remember: Walks kill. i.e.:9th inning. Great comeback though. The guy that hit the walkout HR had 2 HR's all year and he had 2 today. :shock:
 #14072  by apaladin
 Sun May 12, 2019 8:05 pm
Currently all alone in 5th place. Best possible finish is 3rd and worst is 6th.
 #14081  by Yadkin
 Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Game 3 - Paladins fall behind 7-0 before scoring 8 unanswered runs to take the lead. It didn't last, though, as a walk-off two run homer in the Terrier ninth prevents the sweep.

Despite the loss today, it's hard to be too upset with this team after how they have played lately and how they battled back in this game after they could have just packed it in going down 7 runs.

And in what some are calling the greatest year ever in Wofford athletics, we still took two of three of the major sports against the Terriers (not to mention most of the other sports as well). 8-)
Greatest athletics year in Woco history, huh? They’ve still never sniffed a Commissioner’s Cup and have never won a women’s title in any sport nearly two decades after joining the league. Put all their resources into two sports....that’s obvious.
MidlandsPaladin liked this
 #14083  by MidlandsPaladin
 Mon May 13, 2019 9:00 am
Yadkin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

Greatest athletics year in Woco history, huh? They’ve still never sniffed a Commissioner’s Cup and have never won a women’s title in any sport nearly two decades after joining the league. Put all their resources into two sports....that’s obvious.

My thoughts exactly. But that's what the two guys calling the doubleheader on Friday night for ESPN3 were saying. I don't know who they were but one was an ex-baseballer that currently works for the Terrier Club, so they must legitimately think this is their best year ever.

They also, between innings when they thought their microphones were off, were planning ahead to which inning were they going to cover their "hate" for FU. :roll: Classy.
Last edited by MidlandsPaladin on Mon May 13, 2019 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #14101  by MNORM
 Wed May 15, 2019 9:26 am
The Bellhops have now lost 21 consecutive games.... :o

:lol:
 #14137  by Mr. Taggart
 Fri May 17, 2019 12:27 pm
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

My thoughts exactly. But that's what the two guys calling the doubleheader on Friday night for ESPN3 were saying. I don't know who they were but one was an ex-baseballer that currently works for the Terrier Club, so they must legitimately think this is their best year ever.

They also, between innings when they thought their microphones were off, were planning ahead to which inning were they going to cover their "hate" for FU. :roll: Classy.
To paraphrase my Mother in Law, being the best athletic year in Wofford history is pretty similar to being the best ballerina in Ware Shoals. It is a superlative, but not much of one.
 #14138  by Fred Garvin
 Fri May 17, 2019 1:01 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

To paraphrase my Mother in Law, being the best athletic year in Wofford history is pretty similar to being the best ballerina in Ware Shoals. It is a superlative, but not much of one.
I prefer to look at Wofford as Little Bill in Boogie Nights and Furman is Dirk FN Diggler.......that is why they hate us
 #14143  by Flagman
 Fri May 17, 2019 7:49 pm
Mr. Taggart wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:
Yadkin wrote:
MidlandsPaladin wrote:

Watch it! My mother was from Ware Shoals.
 #14146  by cavedweller2
 Fri May 17, 2019 10:14 pm
But was she a ballerina?

Recent Topics

User avatar PreSeason Poll

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:59 am

User avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:53 am

User avatar Preseason '24

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:50 am

User avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by apaladin

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:46 am

User avatar Furman at Mississippi Negative Nancy

by FUTex

Mon Jun 17, 2024 2:35 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.