• Furman at Mercer, 2/7

#84814  by DoomedDin1127
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:07 am
It is I, DoomedDin returning to b*tch about the fact we lost to Mercer. This team has so much potential to be competitive… but damn this is a low point right now.
apaladin liked this
 #84816  by Monday
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 am
Bill Simmons refers to great teams having 'alpha dogs,' those guys who have the intensity and leadership to drag a team to a win. Past Richey teams have all had an alpha dog (Rafferty, Lyons, etc), none of whom, incidentally, were recruited when Richey was in command. Pegues can hit the game winner, but where is he the rest of the game? Foster is putting up the stats ,but, to paraphrase CBR, even bad teams have 20pt scorers.

If we had an alpha dog, a player that will hold others accountable and get in peoples' faces, then we are easily over .500. Heck, we're contenders.

When we look back on this team no one player will really stand out. That is the biggest problem and it's not an in-season fix.
Roundball, dornb liked this
 #84819  by tim
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:00 am
The coach has said things over the year, at one point he said the team didn't trust the offense. He says sometimes they don't play connected. There seems to be a focus on not taking the close in elbow shots because they are low percentage and we can't get suckered into those. Seems to me Mercer made a living on short pull ups last night. It's Furman that can't hit the easy ones. He says we aren't guarding. Agreed. I don't see a lack of effort, I see a deer in the headlight look or expression against teams that seem to be red hot every night.
 #84821  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 11:51 am
If you want to see no effort go back and look at the last 9 seconds of the first half.
 #84823  by FurmanATT
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 12:21 pm
Monday wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 5:51 am
Bill Simmons refers to great teams having 'alpha dogs,' those guys who have the intensity and leadership to drag a team to a win. Past Richey teams have all had an alpha dog (Rafferty, Lyons, etc), none of whom, incidentally, were recruited when Richey was in command. Pegues can hit the game winner, but where is he the rest of the game? Foster is putting up the stats ,but, to paraphrase CBR, even bad teams have 20pt scorers.

If we had an alpha dog, a player that will hold others accountable and get in peoples' faces, then we are easily over .500. Heck, we're contenders.

When we look back on this team no one player will really stand out. That is the biggest problem and it's not an in-season fix.
Admittedly, I despise Bill Simmons. But I digress.
Pegues was hampered by inexplicable fouls. At one point, Furman had nine fouls, and Pegues and Hughey had eight of them.
I think Pegues is an alpha dog were that a term I'd ever use. Foster is, too. Pegues has hit three triples, each with 0.8 seconds on the clock. And it seems like he hit a big shot in a big game late last season.
Sportswriters all know we're no better than our last story. We're not alone. The Dins have been better and will be better again. This will make them better, and it damn well better. -- MD
 #84825  by Jasper
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:02 pm
tim wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:00 am
The coach has said things over the year, at one point he said the team didn't trust the offense. He says sometimes they don't play connected. There seems to be a focus on not taking the close in elbow shots because they are low percentage and we can't get suckered into those. Seems to me Mercer made a living on short pull ups last night. It's Furman that can't hit the easy ones. He says we aren't guarding. Agreed. I don't see a lack of effort, I see a deer in the headlight look or expression against teams that seem to be red hot every night.
Are they all red hot as you say or are they un-guarded. I watched the Langly kid pour 3 pointers in on us the other day simply because we had no one near him to challenge the shots. Is that a lack of effort by the players or just a poor defensive scheme by the coaches? We double team the ball a lot without any dramatic results and a good passing team knows to take advantage of that by hitting the open man.
 #84826  by Jasper
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm
Paladin91 wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:12 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:53 pm
And who else is responsible for what is in front of if not him?
I’m not suggesting anyone else, with the exception of staff. Improving our defense should be the #1 priority. We sometimes have difficulty playing man. Perhaps we need to change up the D some, or at least apply more half court pressure similar to Samford. Another quality big man will have to wait until next year, assuming we can get one in the portal. However, sometimes I think CBR believes we can get far without an inside presence. So I wonder if that is really that important to him. Time will tell.

I certainly agree that the defense is a big problem but I see recent recruiting as a much larger problem - whether that be thru the portal or usual HS venues. We've had a couple of 6'10" guys go thru here without making any impact. Pegues is a good player but is inconsistent. We have no idea if the freshmen can play a lick. I dont know if the revered Slawson and Bothwell were Richey recruits even. They came to FU in 2018 which means they were recruited in 2017 and Nikko was coach then. Doesn't really matter. What does is that we have had some very good players go thru Furman over the last decade. Just not enough of them on one team until last year's extra year players gave us the quality and depth needed to succeed. The role players from last year are now being asked to step up and they simply cant on a consistent basis. We expected more from them than they are capable of giving. Perhaps the same is true of the staff.
 #84827  by jesse174
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:04 pm
I feel most of these problems exist because we can't shoot well from anywhere consistently. and also the regression of Hein and Vanderwal. I know Vanderwal had appendectomy and that slowed him down and no idea what happened to Hein. So with that you have 5 or 6 guys and thats it..not enough to last an entire game the way we play. I feel zone is what we should be playing to save out legs and improve shooting.
 #84830  by fu77fan
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:28 pm
There is a lot of negativity about the game, which I believe is well deserved. I agree with CBR…. an unacceptable and uninspiring effort.

For the life of me I cannot understand how other teams get uncontested layups, time and time and time again . Case in point- the last shot of the first half. Surely,we can put out more effort!!!!!
 #84832  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 8:34 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:28 pm
There is a lot of negativity about the game, which I believe is well deserved. I agree with CBR…. an unacceptable and uninspiring effort.

For the life of me I cannot understand how other teams get uncontested layups, time and time and time again . Case in point- the last shot of the first half. Surely,we can put out more effort!!!!!
See my post 5 back.
 #84833  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 08, 2024 9:17 pm
Jasper wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:48 pm
Looks to me like a reality check is in order for all Furman hoops fans. We are simply not a good team. We are mired in the middle of the SoCon and trending lower. The fact is that are players are not regressing from last year at all. They were made better by the presence of Slawson and Bothwell who were outstanding players in their extra college year. Teams focused on them and made some of the others look better than they are. Not their fault. They are what they are. We have not recruited very well in the last few years and that is showing. The coach is not a miracle worker who is building a strong program to compete for the league championship and beyond. Last year was great fun but it was unfortunately an outlier. The future is not looking promising at this moment either. College basketball is changing dramatically right now and we need to figure it out if dreams of relevance are to be pursued. I ‘d stop watching what Dabo is doing and pay attention to what Clay Hendrix is doing. His combination of bringing in several transfers/grad students in key positions plus recruiting college level ready freshmen has made Furman a legitimate national presence in the last two years with a bright future as well. Right now our football program appears light years ahead of basketball.
Jasper, It is hard for us FU fans to admit but I think you are correct. We had 2 players last year like we have not had in maybe forever and may never see again. We were fooled last year because those 2 players made everyone else look good. I am just glad we had that one special year after so so many years. I really think us FU fans deserved last year. I tthink we were way too optimistic that last last year would be the new norm and CBR would just keep it going since we had 7 of the top 9 coming back. Then we heard all the hype how great practice was going and how good we were going to be. Then a 20+ point win over Belmont and expectations soared higher. The MB tournament should have been a sign. The fact is this is a team that is much better at home than on the road. Good teams can play anywhere. I agree that unless things change the future does not look bright.
 #84842  by apaladin
 Fri Feb 09, 2024 11:10 am
GOAT wrote:
Fri Feb 09, 2024 8:41 am
As bad as we may seem right now, i do not believe there is a team in the SC hoping they get to play Furman in the SC tournament.
Probably true but at the same time none are skeered either.
Jasper liked this

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024 opponents

by Affirm

Sun May 19, 2024 4:30 pm

Default Avatar Transfer Portal (Furman and Others of Note)

by bigpurple75

Sun May 19, 2024 1:30 pm

User avatar PALADIN STADIUM

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:30 pm

User avatar Fred Norman Jr in the portal

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:27 pm

User avatar NFL DRAFT

by apaladin

Sun May 19, 2024 12:21 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.