• Final Thoughts/Questions Before Season

#77559  by FUBF24
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 pm
Now that everything has finally taken shape for this upcoming year, here are my thoughts/predictions for the SoCon:

Preseason rankings:
1. Furman
2. UNCG
3. WCU
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. ETSU
7. Mercer
8. Wofford
9. The Citadel
10. VMI

SoCon Player of the Year: Tre Jackson, WCU or JP Pegues, Furman
SoCon Defensive Player of the Year: Keyshaun Langley, UNCG
Freshman/Newcomer of the Year: Riley Allenspach, Samford
Coach of the Year: Bob Richey

Furman will win the SoCon.

What do y'all predict will happen?
FU Hoopla liked this
 #77560  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:46 pm
Looks pretty good!

I would flip Samford and UTC, one of the transfer guards for UTC is not eligible this season.........

Also Cooper Bowser is alot better than Riley Allenspach, if they go head to head at some point Bowser will dominate him ;)
 #77580  by KingPaladin
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:12 am
FUBF24 wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:20 pm
Now that everything has finally taken shape for this upcoming year, here are my thoughts/predictions for the SoCon:

Preseason rankings:
1. Furman
2. UNCG
3. WCU
4. Chattanooga
5. Samford
6. ETSU
7. Mercer
8. Wofford
9. The Citadel
10. VMI

SoCon Player of the Year: Tre Jackson, WCU or JP Pegues, Furman
SoCon Defensive Player of the Year: Keyshaun Langley, UNCG
Freshman/Newcomer of the Year: Riley Allenspach, Samford
Coach of the Year: Bob Richey

Furman will win the SoCon.

What do y'all predict will happen?
POTY will be Vonterius Woolbright for Western. He'll run the point and can legitimately get a triple double
 #77596  by FUBF24
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:59 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:20 am
Western is the best team in the SOCON for basketball hands down. Really concerned about them
Not too worried about WCU, we beat them last year by 34 points without Tyzhaun Claude.

However this year is a new year. I think we'll be okay, I trust our coaching and developmental system and good luck scoring on Cooper Bowser.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #77600  by KingPaladin
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:14 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:59 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:20 am
Western is the best team in the SOCON for basketball hands down. Really concerned about them
Not too worried about WCU, we beat them last year by 34 points without Tyzhaun Claude.

However this year is a new year. I think we'll be okay, I trust our coaching and developmental system and good luck scoring on Cooper Bowser.
Bowser is pretty thin for defending, notable that we nearly lost to them with Claude, with Jalen Slawson guarding him. Their two guards will be the major players
 #77601  by KingPaladin
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 12:15 pm
SoCon Write-up on ESPN

The last time the Catamounts played in the NCAA tournament, they nearly became the first true Cinderella: The 16-seed came within seconds of beating top-seeded Purdue in 1996. This season, the return of Tre Jackson (15.8 PPG) and Vonterius Woolbright (14.5 PPG) could help Western Carolina get back to the tournament for the first time in 28 years. Coach Justin Gray was just 12 years old the last time the Catamounts went to the Big Dance. The school might build a statue of him if he's able to take it back.
FUBF24 liked this
 #77613  by youwouldno
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:32 pm
Pomeroy's rankings include the projected performance of returning players.

The only returning WCU player who was reasonably efficient on offense last year is Jackson, a shortish SG with mediocre defense and limited driving ability.

Woolbright is a good passer but his decision making wavers and he can't shoot or score around the rim efficiently.

Also, the longer someone has played in college, the less rapidly they are likely to improve, so there is no particular reason to expect their veterans to take a huge step forward.

Catamounts are more likely to finish 5th in the SoCon than 1st . . . Pretty obvious for anyone that understands the underlying data and trends.
 #77634  by Paul C
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:14 pm
We are gonna struggle early. Tough Nov/Dec schedule with having to replace 2 of the best ever to play for us is a tall order. Need to find rotation, chemistry and leadership.

I think we will be fine come Jan and have as good or better chance as anyone to win the SoCon

I expect there will be some hyperbole and gnashing of teeth around here in mid-Dec when we could very well be 4-5, but all will be well.
apaladin, furpop16, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #77643  by RaleighDin
 Wed Oct 18, 2023 8:21 pm
While I know you're right, I'm hoping the sheer amount of returnees we have that know our system will move things along a bit quicker. We won't just be deep, we'll be OLD.