• Question

#75177  by fu77fan
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 8:40 pm
Is anyone concerned about our lack of height this year ? Now that Lawrence and Repass are not on the team , we only have 2 players taller than Vanderwal at 6 ft 7in.
And in my opinion, Hien does not play like he is 6ft 9in . And neither Hien nor Bowser have the weight to bang the opposing big guys around. Yes we are very athletic, but I wish we had more height.
 #75181  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:00 pm
I was concerned even with Repass and slawson on the team
 #75182  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:22 pm
fu77fan wrote:
Is anyone concerned about our lack of height this year ? Now that Lawrence and Repass are not on the team , we only have 2 players taller than Vanderwal at 6 ft 7in.
And in my opinion, Hien does not play like he is 6ft 9in . And neither Hien nor Bowser have the weight to bang the opposing big guys around. Yes we are very athletic, but I wish we had more height.

I am not sure using the names of two players (Lawrence and Repass) that did not play at all last year for us makes any sense when discussing our size last year to this year.......

Let's see what we lost from our 9 man rotation(7 return, 2 have graduated):
6'3 Bothwell
6''7 Slawson

Let's see new additions that will battle for rotation spots:
6'0 Smith
6'4 Bronson
6'5 Humphries
6'6 Molnar
6'11 Bowser

I think we will be fine................ (as long as we stay healthy)
 #75183  by youwouldno
 Thu Sep 07, 2023 11:32 pm
Not sure how impactful it is to have someone tall sitting on the bench.

In terms of replacing minutes from last year, the departed players are 6'3 and 6'7.

Studies have shown that, in college anyway, guard height is irrelevant and F/C height is primarily relevant on defense.

Richey's scheme is so successful due to the offensive component. Running out tall guys who can't shoot would tank the offense while only partially making up for the difference on defense.

So if you're worried that Furman doesn't have the size to be a strong final 4 contender, well . . . Yes, you should definitely be extremely worried.

If you're worried that Furman doesn't have the size to be one of the top mid majors in the country, then you shouldn't be.
FurmAlum liked this
 #75184  by tya1
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:09 am
Repass redshirted and did not play a minute, Lawrence barely played. If Bowser plays more than a couple of minutes we will actually be taller than last year.

Our ability to replace Slawson's impact on the game is a legitimate concern. As is replacing Bothwell's scoring and leadership in key moments, We need all the returning players to step up their games. I am not all that worried over replacing points and rebounds as some of the defensive impact. Slawson had over half of our blocked shots and he and Bothwell combined for almost 40% of our steals.
 #75196  by PaladinPower
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 10:11 am
Furman basketball fans worried about lack of height for the post players... A tale as old as time...
 #75199  by FurmanFan23
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:04 am
All of our SOCON counterparts have height. Samford just reloaded with some serious players with height. Our team just doesn't have the height to compete. We will live and die by the three again this season.
 #75200  by youwouldno
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:11 am
If you don't like basketball being about the 3 point shot, you'll need to do a lot more than root for Samford - you'll need a time machine.
 #75201  by MNORM
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 11:39 am
fu77fan wrote:

No
FurmAlum liked this
 #75202  by Bootie
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 12:15 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
All of our SOCON counterparts have height. Samford just reloaded with some serious players with height. Our team just doesn't have the height to compete. We will live and die by the three again this season.
“Our team just doesn’t have the height to compete.”

:shock:
FU Hoopla liked this
 #75205  by Paladin91
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:04 pm
The big loss is Slawson - he played taller than 6'7 and his defense will be missed. Initially I thought Bowser probably wouldn't get much playing time, but I suspect he will get more than some envision. I think it will be important for Hughey and Van Der Wal to really step up to the next level this year. If this happens, we could be really good.

It will be interesting to see if our rebounding suffers a lot this year with Slawson gone.
Davemeister liked this
 #75212  by Roundball
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 3:24 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
By,“again this season”, this year will look like last season, sign me up.
MNORM, KingPaladin liked this
 #75214  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:08 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
We are just as big as last season 100%, that team did pretty good ;)

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.