• Student section

#72155  by stonemd
 Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:07 pm
Listened to an interesting podcast
https://podcasters.spotify.com/pod/show ... ns-e2518gr

Featuring this company
https://www.biggestfanxp.com/

Having a truly involved student section is one thing we still still lack. It would help the team and be a great thing for the students who get involved as well. Also seems like something BR and JD would like to see happen.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72159  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:25 pm
Furman will never have a strong student section with the current demographic of students. Unfortnalty there are more students that would prefer to read a book or take a lake walk instead of going to a Furman sporting event. Furman will most likely never have a vibrant student section.
 #72161  by stonemd
 Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 pm
Listen to the podcast. There are a lot of goals that Furman basketball has reached that could have been so easily dismissed. But with hard work and smart work they have been accomplished. I think the same could be accomplished w the student section.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #72168  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 6:59 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:26 pm
Wednesday night basketball games are a terrible night for everyone IMA
Agree
dornb liked this
 #72169  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 7:01 am
One thing that would boost us would be to land some really good OOC home games against some name brand schools, however I know that's hard to do since so many of those type schools are afraid to play FU....................
 #72178  by Furmanoid
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:00 pm
stonemd wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:44 pm
Listen to the podcast. There are a lot of goals that Furman basketball has reached that could have been so easily dismissed. But with hard work and smart work they have been accomplished. I think the same could be accomplished w the student section.
The hard work might include changing our student body profile. Our kids just aren't that into sports. Shouldn't shock anybody. I've proposed several times that they make FB and BB games CLP's. Forty years ago we assumed kids knew about sports and sporting events but really needed exposure to other aspects of culture. No longer a good assumption. We need them to learn sports, just in case they end up working in the South and need to fit in. There is stigma attached to being from a smart kid school, and knowing your sports mitigates that. My daughter gets a little bit of stank eye when she mentions ND until she she starts talking FB, then she's considered OK.
FU69 liked this
 #72180  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 12:38 pm
To add I hope we are still working on changing the semester schedule so school will still be in and we can bus students up to the tourney in Asheville.................
FU69 liked this
 #72186  by stonemd
 Fri Jun 02, 2023 5:09 pm
I think if we have even a small student section that impactful, organized and fun to be in, it will draw students who are not passionate basketball fans. Look how soccer teams have organized fan sections become the most exciting, fun and involved sections to be in.

I’d like this to be an ask JD or BR question because our typical approach of giveaways, DJ, free food, and time out contests has not really added much to the development of a solid student section.

We need a student led, administration supported student section.
FU69 liked this
 #72188  by apaladin
 Sat Jun 03, 2023 12:01 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:26 pm
Wednesday night basketball games are a terrible night for everyone IMA
Tuesday-Saturday or even Thursday-Saturday would be better. Who made the rule that SoCon has to play all the midweek games on a certain day except for an occasional tv game? Why not use different days different weeks are some games on Tuesday, some games on Wednesday, some on Thursday each week. Don’t expect the SoCon to do anythung though,
FU Hoopla, dornb, FU69 liked this
 #72212  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:15 am
The fan base certainly grew off what went down this past March, including student interest ;)

Roundball liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.