• 10 Man Rotation Next Season?

#71031  by HammerTKE
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:22 pm
CBR has showed a preference for a 9 man rotation in recent years, but I wonder if there is a chance of us seeing a 10 man rotation next season due to the depth of our program.

We know that a lot can and will change between now and November, based upon the growth and effort displayed by the guys who are fighting to make the rotation. Knowing nothing other than what I've observed, here's my way-too-early guess at our starting rotation.

JP, PJay, Foster, Hien, and one of the following guys Vanderwal / Williams / Hughey.

The remaining two of Vanderwal / Williams / Hughey who does not start should see a good deal of time off the bench.

After you add Whitt to the mix, that puts us at 8 guys who are expected to get a ton of minutes. I know that we all need to see more out of Whitt next season and hopefully he puts in the effort required during the off-season to develop into the impact player who everyone once believed he could be. After watching the remarkable improvement that so many of our players have made between seasons during the past few years, I'm optimistic that we will see a very different Carter Whitt next season. If not we'll likely have an underclassman who forces his way into the rotation like JP, Vanderwal and Foster all did, sooner than expected.

So, depending upon whether CBR goes with a 9 or 10 man rotation, that leaves us with 1 or 2 slots available to fill from Repass, Molnar, Bowser, Humphries, Bronson, and Harris. I would imagine that we'll see redshirt years from at least two of the three in the group of Bowser, Humphries and Bronson, unless one of them pulls a Vanderwal and unexpectedly forces their way into the rotation next season. I don't have any knowledge of Johnny Lawrence's status, but based upon speculation from others, it would make sense that he's graduating and opening the spot for Bowser. If that's not the case, it changes the equation.

No matter how it turns out, I have 100% faith in our coaches and this program! I'm looking forward to having our last season in the OG Timmons Arena be one for the ages!

With all that said, what do you guys think? Will CBR stick with a 9 man rotation or will he expand it next season?
FU Hoopla, FurmAlum liked this
 #71042  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:02 pm
As we get better and better, having more size will aid our success to reaching greater levels of the college hoops spectrum, so I predict a bigger starting lineup.

My EARLY prediction on rotation is...........

Starters:
PG Pegues
SG Foster
SF Williams
PF Vanderwal
C Hien

Bench:
First player off bench PJay for instant offense
Next two guys Hughey and Whitt will get good minutes
Repass with low post bench minutes coming his way
And spot bench minutes for one of Molnar/Bronson/Humphries (whichever one is most ready next season)

Possibly redshirt Bowser and one or both of the freshman guards Bronson/Humphries

10 man rotation max, but could be scaled back to 9 man if that's more effective
HammerTKE liked this
 #71043  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:04 pm
HammerTKE wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:22 pm
CBR has showed a preference for a 9 man rotation in recent years, but I wonder if there is a chance of us seeing a 10 man rotation next season due to the depth of our program.

We know that a lot can and will change between now and November, based upon the growth and effort displayed by the guys who are fighting to make the rotation. Knowing nothing other than what I've observed, here's my way-too-early guess at our starting rotation.

JP, PJay, Foster, Hien, and one of the following guys Vanderwal / Williams / Hughey.

The remaining two of Vanderwal / Williams / Hughey who does not start should see a good deal of time off the bench.

After you add Whitt to the mix, that puts us at 8 guys who are expected to get a ton of minutes. I know that we all need to see more out of Whitt next season and hopefully he puts in the effort required during the off-season to develop into the impact player who everyone once believed he could be. After watching the remarkable improvement that so many of our players have made between seasons during the past few years, I'm optimistic that we will see a very different Carter Whitt next season. If not we'll likely have an underclassman who forces his way into the rotation like JP, Vanderwal and Foster all did, sooner than expected.

So, depending upon whether CBR goes with a 9 or 10 man rotation, that leaves us with 1 or 2 slots available to fill from Repass, Molnar, Bowser, Humphries, Bronson, and Harris. I would imagine that we'll see redshirt years from at least two of the three in the group of Bowser, Humphries and Bronson, unless one of them pulls a Vanderwal and unexpectedly forces their way into the rotation next season. I don't have any knowledge of Johnny Lawrence's status, but based upon speculation from others, it would make sense that he's graduating and opening the spot for Bowser. If that's not the case, it changes the equation.

No matter how it turns out, I have 100% faith in our coaches and this program! I'm looking forward to having our last season in the OG Timmons Arena be one for the ages!

With all that said, what do you guys think? Will CBR stick with a 9 man rotation or will he expand it next season?

Great post BTW!
HammerTKE liked this
 #71044  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:06 pm
If it was any other player other than Lawrence they would already be in the transfer portal, so Lawrence going ahead and graduating possibly due to lingering injury stuff has got to be it, right?
 #71047  by HammerTKE
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 3:36 pm
I agree with your prediction of the bigger starting lineup. Johnny Lawrence graduating is the only thing that makes sense. Like you said, otherwise someone would be in the portal.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #71084  by Paul C
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:57 am
I’m not really worried about player 10-13

I just hope we find a balanced 8-9 man rotation that can play intense team defense, communicate, shoot the three and screen/cut/pass at the level we need to be successful.

As an eternal optimist I find myself in the odd position of steeling myself for a bit of a tougher season next year, as we develop a Sweet 16 caliber team in ‘24-‘25.
apaladin, Bootie liked this
 #71085  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:01 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:57 am
I’m not really worried about player 10-13

I just hope we find a balanced 8-9 man rotation that can play intense team defense, communicate, shoot the three and screen/cut/pass at the level we need to be successful.

As an eternal optimist I find myself in the odd position of steeling myself for a bit of a tougher season next year, as we develop a Sweet 16 caliber team in ‘24-‘25.

We've certainly got a lot of potential and lucky for us the SoCon looks pretty weak for next season...........
 #71088  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:25 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:13 pm
WCU doesn't look weak to me.....
They have a couple decent guards sure, but not much else, charlotte certainly had no trouble piecing them up by 9 in that crap cbi tourney they played in.............

Just the fact that wcu is about all we can even look at tells you how weak the SoCon is looking.............
 #71091  by FurmanFan23
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:32 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FurmanFan23 wrote:
They have a couple decent guards sure, but not much else, charlotte certainly had no trouble piecing them up by 9 in that crap cbi tourney they played in.............

Just the fact that wcu is about all we can even look at tells you how weak the SoCon is looking.............
Don't tell The Cats that Hoopla.......
FU Hoopla liked this
 #71203  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:27 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 12:32 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
FurmanFan23 wrote:

Don't tell The Cats that Hoopla.......
:lol: :lol:

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.