• SOCON Rivalries and other things

#71021  by FUBF24
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:46 pm
I've only been a fan of Furman for a few years, but I've already formed some pretty strong opinions on certain SOCON teams. What are your thoughts? Are there any other teams anyone hates more than others?
 #71022  by FUBF24
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:47 pm
For example, I can't stand Wofford, WCU, Chatt, and Samford, but other schools like Mercer, ETSU, and VMI I don't really think much about.
 #71026  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:55 pm
As of just last season the team that I look forward to blowing out the most now is WCU, they have such a pathetic fan base it will be fun to hear those guys cry again :lol:

Roundball liked this
 #71039  by tim
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:52 pm
I've always had trouble with Woffy, WCU, and Davidson fans when they were in the socon so those wins are sweeter. Strangely, no trouble with former socons Appy or GSU. And I've been messed with at Citadel and had some flags stolen. Sorta admire VMI in a weird way.
 #71041  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 2:55 pm
Would most of you guys want to start a series with Davidson again?
Speaking in terms of even if we don't eventually get in a league with them again.
 #71052  by tya1
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:44 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Speaking in terms of even if we don't eventually get in a league with them again.
The A10 doesn't want their members playing non P5 teams in away games but they can't prohibit the games. Richmond played a home and away set of games with Wofford and VCU played at UTC. Both very recently. Davidson plays some SoCon teams at home but doesn't want to reciprocate. They hosted VMI and Western Carolina this season - beat VMI by 4 and WCU by 8. Maybe we can get some games going with Richmond and VCU. The fact that we knocked off Virginia may help.
 #71053  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:58 pm
tya1 wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 4:44 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
The A10 doesn't want their members playing non P5 teams in away games but they can't prohibit the games. Richmond played a home and away set of games with Wofford and VCU played at UTC. Both very recently. Davidson plays some SoCon teams at home but doesn't want to reciprocate. They hosted VMI and Western Carolina this season - beat VMI by 4 and WCU by 8. Maybe we can get some games going with Richmond and VCU. The fact that we knocked off Virginia may help.
Did we have a series lined up with Richmond back right before covid hit?
Was trying to remember but I thought that was going to happen then they canceled so we decided to play College of Charleston..............
 #71063  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 6:26 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:08 am
Yes there was a home and home with Richmond but never happened.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, too bad
Seems they should still be interested to make that series happen....................
 #71068  by Affirm
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 8:04 am
Davidson is a great program, a great name, a great legacy, and most important Davidson is very close to us historically, academically, and GEOGRAPHICALLY. We should be playing Davidson, even if we can only do it at the Well or even if only at their place.
FU Hoopla, GOAT liked this
 #71077  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 10:54 am
Davemeister wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 9:55 am
Sure, schedule Davidson - but only on a home & home basis. We don't owe them a game at their place.
I would go there for a random one off game in an effort to one improve our OOC schedule, and two lay the smack down on them.........
 #71082  by soconjohn
 Thu Apr 20, 2023 11:26 am
I'd love for Furman to play Davidson again...For many of us who had to endure like 22-straight losses or something crazy at one point, there's definitely a score to settle with those guys...Having said that, I can't help but also respect what that program has done and how they have done it. It's pretty remarkable that they have managed to churn out basketball success at the level they have been able to do it for so long...Will be interested to see that if there will be any drop-off now that Matt McKillop is the head coach and not Bob McKillop. ..As far as rivalries Furman has in-league, I like the ones with UNCG and ETSU...I have a great deal of respect for those two programs, with both until ETSU recently, having a lot of hardwood success over the past eight years...I don't really have a feeling on Mercer/Samford/Western Carolina, although I think their fans consider FU big rivals and harbor some disdain. I enjoy Furman-Chattanooga games...More friendly rivals...I would say the ones that Furman fans have circled on their calendars for basketball and football are the ones with The Citadel and Wofford...Could be wrong, but that's how I see it.
 #71218  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:52 am
Matt Mckillop did go 16-16 .500 this season, its the first non-winning season for Davidson in 22 years

Its kinda funny to think about the fact that in 2013 CofC vs. Davidson in the SoCon title game in Asheville the crowd was 4,021, of course Furman vs. UTC title game in 2023 drew 6,102

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.