• WHEN YOU THINK ABOUT IT

#69431  by apaladin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:49 am
Saturday’s game was a once in a lifetme occurence for Furman sports and by far the biggest ever. Even if we make the tournament again what are the chances of being the only game on in one of, if not the biggest sporting event of them all? Wish we could have played better but at least Furman is better known and every sports fan knows a little more about FU and about the win over Virginia.
Kitchen_bg, rangab, din23 and 1 others liked this
 #69440  by AstroDin
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:07 am
Ditto!!!

I sat next to a retired couple from Chicago - they're Big ten fans but love basketball. They were very excited to watch Furman and cheered for FU until the end. The row in front of me was all Duke fans. They, too, had many questions about Furman—and all seemed to have an affection for our FU apparel.

The amount of Purple in the Amway Center warmed my heart and told me this was different. Dins fans and Duke fans dominated the arena.

I've always felt that Furman is a sleeping giant in BB. I'll admit this is based on emotion more than tangible things.

The admin and the board members and donors who were in attendance now have proof that Furman Basketball has a fan base willing to spend money to see the Dins play.
gman84, Bootie, hypercycloid and 4 others liked this
 #69461  by FUBF24
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 10:47 am
I have also noticed that the Furmanhoops instagram page gained 3,000 followers from the beginning of the season to now... we really are growing in recognition
dornb, QCGlue liked this
 #69497  by FurmAlum
 Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm
Here's a few random thoughts.

Stayed in Brunswick, GA at our condo. On the way back after the game on Thursday we stopped at Buc-ees and Chick-fila. Still had on Furman purple. Got some high-fives and several people stopped us and congratulated us on Furman's big win. I was thinking how cool is this.

Got to the game early on Saturday. Slawson came out in his warm-ups and sat alone on the bench in a nearly empty arena. I wondered what he was thinking. He had the time to walk over and sign an autograph for a young Furman fan.

About an hour before the game Coach R went over and gave the N. Greenville band members a pep talk and thank you. How many coach's do that?

I sat beside a father and son from Orlando who were Duke fans. The son was a 15 year old sophomore high school basketball player. He said he played on the varsity and not JV so he must have been a pretty good player and also knew a Duke signee. They said they were at our Virginia game and were rooting for FU against SDSU. I started telling them about Furman and how much the players liked playing for Coach R. I told them about Richey's "Grow the Man" program. I don't know about the son but the father was listening. :D

I watched several of Slawson's postgame interviews. An emotional player on the court, his off-court comments were thoughtful, introspective, and with a wry sense of humor. "SDSU was very physical and we didn't quite answer the bell". Bothwell is the same way. Two class acts.

I've never been prouder to be a Furman alumnus.
dornb, bj93, din23 and 3 others liked this
 #69508  by gofurman
 Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:22 am
FurmAlum wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 9:30 pm
Here's a few random thoughts.

Stayed in Brunswick, GA at our condo. On the way back after the game on Thursday we stopped at Buc-ees and Chick-fila. Still had on Furman purple. Got some high-fives and several people stopped us and congratulated us on Furman's big win. I was thinking how cool is this.

Got to the game early on Saturday. Slawson came out in his warm-ups and sat alone on the bench in a nearly empty arena. I wondered what he was thinking. He had the time to walk over and sign an autograph for a young Furman fan.

About an hour before the game Coach R went over and gave the N. Greenville band members a pep talk and thank you. How many coach's do that?

I sat beside a father and son from Orlando who were Duke fans. The son was a 15 year old sophomore high school basketball player. He said he played on the varsity and not JV so he must have been a pretty good player and also knew a Duke signee. They said they were at our Virginia game and were rooting for FU against SDSU. I started telling them about Furman and how much the players liked playing for Coach R. I told them about Richey's "Grow the Man" program. I don't know about the son but the father was listening. :D

I watched several of Slawson's postgame interviews. An emotional player on the court, his off-court comments were thoughtful, introspective, and with a wry sense of humor. "SDSU was very physical and we didn't quite answer the bell". Bothwell is the same way. Two class acts.

I've never been prouder to be a Furman alumnus.
As y’all have probably noticed I’m a Furman and Duke basketball fan. I notice many of you had great interactions with the Duke crowd. Generally very nice people and not overbearing like some local football teams fans. Lol. It’s a stark contrast to said football fans despite Duke’s success. (And definitely Duke has had more success than Clemson football)

Also basketball is a MMMUUUCCH harder title to win than football - I mean from the system perspective . Football just get voted top 4 And they PUT YOU IN THE FINAL FOUR. If that were the case in basketball (called “ madness’ (!) for a great reason) then Bama, Houston Purdue and Kansas would just be sent to the Final four. How easy is that?? Good grief

Instead Purdue and Kansas are nowhere t9 be found. 64 team basketball bracket is BRUTAL. Usually the best team doesn’t win the title. I’m objective. Duke was not best in 2015. Kentucky was (38-0)!! But Duke won the title..,

Anyway I digress. GREAT SEASON FURMAN !!!!! Wow Awesome.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.