• SoCon Landscape Next Year

#66773  by FUBF24
 Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 pm
I know this is really early, but I just wanted to record my thoughts on the SoCon next year. Before the transfer portal make its rounds, the SoCon looks like it could be a VERY bad conference next year. So many of the best players (i.e. Bothwell, Slawson, Stephens, Logan Dye, B.J. Mack, a few UNCG players) will be gone, so the league could be wide open. This being said, with the right amount of chemistry and enough toughness, Furman could still contend for the title next year! I'm not losing hope when Bothwell and Slawson leave yet...

Here's my predictions (in no particular order) for SoCon player of the year next year:

1. Jackson Pavaletzke
2. Ques Glover
3. JP Pegues/Marcus Foster/Alex Williams
4. Jalyn McCreary
5. Jordan King/Jalen Haynes

Anyone else have thoughts?
FU Hoopla, Sad Din liked this
 #66774  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:16 pm
FUBF24 wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:07 pm
I know this is really early, but I just wanted to record my thoughts on the SoCon next year. Before the transfer portal make its rounds, the SoCon looks like it could be a VERY bad conference next year. So many of the best players (i.e. Bothwell, Slawson, Stephens, Logan Dye, B.J. Mack, a few UNCG players) will be gone, so the league could be wide open. This being said, with the right amount of chemistry and enough toughness, Furman could still contend for the title next year! I'm not losing hope when Bothwell and Slawson leave yet...

Here's my predictions (in no particular order) for SoCon player of the year next year:

1. Jackson Pavaletzke
2. Ques Glover
3. JP Pegues/Marcus Foster/Alex Williams
4. Jalyn McCreary
5. Jordan King/Jalen Haynes

Anyone else have thoughts?
We will return 7 of the 9 players in our current rotation, guys will be getting alot better in the off season, we will have new players thrown into the the mix (2 redshirts and 2 freshman) and I would not write off us landing a stud D2 transfer for next year if we lose any players on the end of our roster. Dang right we will contend again!

For as long as we're still in the SoCon we're going to contend for the title every season, mark my words!
Fuonetime, FUBF24 liked this
 #66848  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:32 am
So we've got 2 more years left of players being able to take a covid year, seems the schools that take loads of transfers (which happens to be a bunch of SoCon programs) are going to find it alot harder in 3 years to load up on transfers once that cycle of 'extra' players filters all the way through.
 #66858  by Davemeister
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:31 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:16 pm
For as long as we're still in the SoCon we're going to contend for the title every season, mark my words!
Sounds like a good reason to stay in the SoCon.
 #66866  by apaladin
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:01 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:44 pm
13 of the top 19 scorers (if you add Stephens name back) in the SoCon are listed as seniors on the SoCon stats page
https://static.soconsports.com/custompa ... M#conf.wki
Which means they all will be back next year. We will certanly miss both MB and JS. IMHO we will miss Slawson more just because of his athletic ability, we have no one else that can do what he does. It has been fun watching him knowing he can do something spectacular at any time.
 #66870  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:43 am
apaladin wrote:
Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:01 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 4:44 pm
13 of the top 19 scorers (if you add Stephens name back) in the SoCon are listed as seniors on the SoCon stats page
https://static.soconsports.com/custompa ... M#conf.wki
Which means they all will be back next year. We will certanly miss both MB and JS. IMHO we will miss Slawson more just because of his athletic ability, we have no one else that can do what he does. It has been fun watching him knowing he can do something spectacular at any time.
Most of those guys have used all their eligibility and won't be back.
 #66890  by Furmanoid
 Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:33 pm
Harder than ever to predict stuff. Who are they all talking to in the Portal? That’s the big question. I expect stuff to change radically year to year. Next 2-3 years will be interesting seeing how we deal with the new landscape. Who knows, we might snatch a phenom out of the portal ourselves.
FU Hoopla, apaladin liked this
 #67049  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:33 am
Davemeister wrote:
Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:04 am
As for me, I'll start thinking about next season when this season is over. Basketball is in progress - GO DINS!!!
 #67083  by apaladin
 Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:40 am
UTC and UNCG will be fine. If any of these don’t come back they will just load up on transfers as usual.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar Jalen Slawson Drafted, NBA Bound!

by Roundball

Fri Jun 28, 2024 7:46 pm

User avatar FURMAN MUST BE DOING OK

by FUBeAR

Fri Jun 28, 2024 5:09 pm

User avatar 2025 Recruiting

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:55 pm

User avatar 2024-25 OOC Schedule

by apaladin

Fri Jun 28, 2024 3:36 pm

User avatar Long offseason

by FU Hoopla

Fri Jun 28, 2024 11:27 am

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.