• 2023-2024 Season

#63302  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:21 am
Now that we have about a 10 day lull before SoCon play starts, figured we could briefly touch base about next season's roster.
Coach Richey always says on his podcasts the best way to have continued success every season is to simultaneously coach this years team and next years team.
 #63303  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am
2023-2024

Possible Lineup:

PG JP Pegues
SG Marcus Foster
SF Ben VanderWal
PF Tyrese Hughey
PF Garrett Hien

Bench:
Joe Anderson
Carter Whitt
Alex Williams
Jonny Lawrence
fu77fan liked this
 #63304  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:26 am
I am not sure we would have enough ball handling and shooting in that starting lineup, but also not really sure what adjustments I would prefer
 #63306  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:37 am
Regarding the schedule, I wonder if we have any chance to get into anther good MTE event? I know we just did the 'Charleston Classic', another nearby one is the 'Myrtle Beach Invitational'.

Also will we continue to push to land a P6 school to come play us at 'The Well', I sure hope we still have hopes of landing one of those type games downtown, that would be fun!

Will the 'Greenville Winter Invitational' return for a second installment?

Belmont I believe is on the schedule again next year, any other teams we know we have contracts with currently for next season?
 #63308  by Paul C
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:29 pm
One thing for sure, this is going to be one of the more interesting off seasons we’ve had in a while.

While the above is a good shot at next years lineup, I just have a gut feel that we will see some unexpected changes by the time next Nov rolls around.

Wouldn’t shock me to see the transfer bug bite us a little (just speculating), and also wouldn’t surprise me to see a guy like Molnar or one of the two incoming Fr make a much bigger impact than we expect.

And of course the elephant in the room is CBR. Will he finally get that “big job” that he seems destined for, and if so how does that trickle down?

This is going to be one off-season where it’s not going to be easy projecting anything. Which for those of us that like to look ahead will be a bit frustrating.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63312  by furpop16
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:47 pm
Paul C wrote:
And of course the elephant in the room is CBR. Will he finally get that “big job” that he seems destined for, and if so how does that trickle down?

I'm always spooked when I see a post along these lines from among those who are much closer to the program than I am. Nevertheless I always come back to whether CBR would even want the "big job". Seems to me he weighs his role in developing quality individuals a little heavier than Niko did. Accordingly, while he & Niko are "basketball coaches" my guess is CBR's bar will be a lot higher than Niko's before he bids us farewell.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63313  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:06 pm
I get the sentiment, that stuff will always be in play any season that we have success, could have been the case last year, could be the case any year in the future. Just the nature of the business, its a good problem to have though if you can keep it an active issue, means the program is having continued success.
 #63315  by RaleighDin
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:48 pm
furpop16 wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 12:47 pm
Paul C wrote:

I'm always spooked when I see a post along these lines from among those who are much closer to the program than I am. Nevertheless I always come back to whether CBR would even want the "big job". Seems to me he weighs his role in developing quality individuals a little heavier than Niko did. Accordingly, while he & Niko are "basketball coaches" my guess is CBR's bar will be a lot higher than Niko's before he bids us farewell.
Agreed, it's not the speculation but who's doing the speculating :D Obviously want the best for CBR after what he's done for us. Selfishly I hope we're able to offer him something close to that so he can stay if he wants!

Re:transfers - I thought we might see a bit of that this year but thankfully not. Mike and Slaw are going to open up a lot of minutes next year so hopefully that keeps folks in the boat. Genuinely root for each of these kids and want to see them kill it in purple and white. I think it's a huge differentiator for us that unlike a lot of schools now, we get years to watch these guys grow into studs.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63318  by apaladin
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:32 pm
Might be time for CBR to hit the portal and find another diamond in the rough like Conley Garrison. The Belmont is/was a 4 game series so 1 home and one away left. Seems like CBR is still trying to figure out the rotation. Alex Williams and Carter Whitt did not play on Saturday.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63363  by FU Hoopla
 Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:56 pm
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 10:24 am
2023-2024

Possible Lineup:

PG JP Pegues
SG Marcus Foster
SF Ben VanderWal
PF Tyrese Hughey
PF Garrett Hien

Bench:
Joe Anderson
Carter Whitt
Alex Williams
Jonny Lawrence

Think I might adjust my lineup to be:

PG Carter Whitt
SG JP Pegues
SF Marcus Foster
PF Ben VanderWal
PF Garrett Hien

Bench:
Joe Anderson
Alex Williams
Tyrese Hughey
Jonny Lawrence

Fingers crossed one of the freshmen comes in ready to roll ;)
 #63378  by Davemeister
 Tue Dec 20, 2022 9:58 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:56 pm
[Think I might adjust my lineup to be:

PG Carter Whitt
SG JP Pegues
SF Marcus Foster
PF Ben VanderWal
PF Garrett Hien
That's better. Pegues would be more comfortable in Bothwell's slot. Whitt can shoot & he can dribble - if he stops throwing the ball away he will be fine.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #63383  by saltyshaker
 Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:45 pm
i'm for just concentrating on finishing this year.win the conference,win the tournament.win an ncaatourney game.i'll start thinking about next year in april.
Roundball, gman84 liked this
 #63384  by FU Hoopla
 Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:53 pm
saltyshaker wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:45 pm
i'm for just concentrating on finishing this year.win the conference,win the tournament.win an ncaatourney game.i'll start thinking about next year in april.

Should I change the thread title to say saltyshaker don't read this thread? :lol:

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.