• Bad PR But True

#254  by 76MrMoto
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:35 pm
Below is a "letter to the editor" from the February 14 "Greenville News";

Furman, turn down the volume for older ticket-holders

Just spending another Saturday afternoon at home watching basketball. We really should be at a Furman game right now. But to tell you the truth, my wife and I are really tired of coming home with splitting headaches, compliments of the incessant blaring of the so-called “music” on the sound system at Club Furman.

The last game we attended, an older gentleman (actually, probably my age) kept plugging his ears with his fingers, trying to block out what he called the “mind numbing noise.” And my wife spent the entire time between the men’s and women’s games out in the lobby to escape.

I grew up on basketball and have attended hundreds of games, from junior high days through NBA games. I can guarantee you that the older season ticket-holders are the most loyal and faithful fans regardless of wins and losses.

Yes, I know … the team belongs to the students. But believe me, unless their team has a winning record, they will find an alternate entertainment venue besides a basketball arena.

Mr. Furman A.D., please, PLEASE turn down the volume just a tad. And throw in some occasional classic rock. Then maybe we could carry on a normal conversation without yelling.

For now, I’ll relax at home, save a few bucks, have a cold beer and enjoy my choice of approximately 9,000 games on TV. Truth be told, I’d rather listen to the Florida State “chop” all day than attend another Furman game.

And guess what? No more headaches!

David Lokers,
 #255  by furpep
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:46 pm
I gotta admit that I was not a fan of the "music" that they played at the games I previously attended.
 #256  by gman
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:55 pm
He’s never been to any other college arena’s? The music is loud in all of them. He should stay away from games at USC, Clemson or Wofford. It’s twice as loud at Wofford, only with a much better sound system. It’s a basketball game, not a concert. It’s loud at high school games too. Let him sit at home listening to the drum beat of the tomahawk chop.
 #257  by dinsontop
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:05 pm
Love it or hate it, it is the direction we have to go in order to stay relevant. It is what the players want, it is what recruits are looking for, and it is one of the ways to try and get students in the building. It is not my favorite, but I have come to terms with the fact that it serves a purpose that hopefully continues to better our program. Maybe they can turn it down a notch, but they can't afford to stop playing relevant music that we don't like.
 #258  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:41 pm
The definition of a cranky old geezer

If a little music is keeping him away from Furman basketball then he is not much of a fan to begin with, ridiculous thing for the greenville news to post, but then again the greenville news is ridiculous so I am not surprised lol
 #259  by ccoates
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm
gman wrote:
He’s never been to any other college arena’s? The music is loud in all of them. He should stay away from games at USC, Clemson or Wofford. It’s twice as loud at Wofford, only with a much better sound system. It’s a basketball game, not a concert. It’s loud at high school games too. Let him sit at home listening to the drum beat of the tomahawk chop.

Well, he's gone public with it, and, since he did buy a ticket, his complaints are worthy of more than just an out of hand dismissal.
 #261  by MNORM
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Wofford may be louder, but because their sound system is so much better it's much more palatable. Our speakers create too much distortion at high volume...which makes things seem louder.
 #262  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:00 pm
MNORM wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:59 pm
Wofford may be louder, but because their sound system is so much better it's much more palatable. Our speakers create too much distortion at high volume...which makes things seem louder.

Yes I do agree with that, but Richey has already said we are working on getting a new soundsystem and a video board, its all in the process
 #263  by gman
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:06 pm
ccoates wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:48 pm
gman wrote:

Well, he's gone public with it, and, since he did buy a ticket, his complaints are worthy of more than just an out of hand dismissal.
I will bet that it’s already been dismissed. After all, only a dozen or so people actually read the newspaper. Any basketball fans laughed at his letter.
 #268  by apaladin
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 pm
Maybe he was heard, there was no "DJ" tonight and I didn't notice any loud music. I'm not a big fan of it, but can certainly tolerate it and I never thought it was loud enough to give anyone a headache, after all it comes in small segments, not like listening to it for an hour at a time
 #271  by tim
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:53 pm
I usually sit on the stage side and haven't noticed anything that loud. I'm an older ticket holder and actually have come to like one or two songs. Especially the one that goes "Presmoke, Presmoke"...... or something like that......lighten up
 #273  by Monday
 Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:05 pm
I attended a Presbyterian game earlier this year and they made Timmons sound like a library, and the music did seem quieter tonight.
 #285  by gman
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:14 am
The atmosphere was pathetic tonight. There was very little marketing to help get butts in the seats. The band played a few songs, but there was no DJ and music. Even the introduction was different. Buddie let that one letter to the newspaper that no one reads get to him. It was Senior Night. Those players deserved a better atmosphere.
 #287  by Purple Reign
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:36 am
The "loud so-called music" certainly doesn't seem to be hurting the on-court product.
 #291  by Monday
 Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:41 am
There was an event for students in the Thirsty Paladin, might have been a seniors only reception, and they were giving out free pizza. So it seems it was marketed on campus but I agree they could have made a bigger deal of Senior night to the general public. This is a great group of seniors and they deserved every ounce of school support.