• Jay McAuley at Wofford

#62366  by apaladin
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:11 pm
According to published reports it is a player mutiny. They have told the AD they no longer want to continue playing and want a change in leadership. .
 #62372  by FU Hoopla
 Wed Dec 07, 2022 11:18 pm
Basically, either Jay is a dickhead or the Wofftard players are soft nancy boys
 #62377  by tim
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 5:37 am
I vote for the latter. The NCAA is creating that type of player with the portal. Basically the same thing happened there in football with. a change midyear. I think they have a cancer. What happened seemed to surface at the vandy game.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #62388  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:00 am
It has bled down to HS as well. Locally we had a HS football coach run off by the players last year. Coaches are having a pretty hard time making kids do anything they don’t want to do. They’ll quit or get you fired. The results are showing up on the field, court, etc.
 #62391  by cavedweller2
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:11 am
Uncoachable kids make unemployable adults.
gman84, dornb, Paladin575 and 3 others liked this
 #62392  by Furmanoid
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:22 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
The quit mentality is pretty widespread even among non athletes, so they are only employable for a few weeks at a time. Gen Z worries me. They aren’t mean like millennials, pretty easy going really, but maybe about 100 times too easy going.
bj93 liked this
 #62396  by silentbob
 Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:55 am
Always been a fan of pretty much anyone who ever coached at Furman. But if anybody saw our game against Wofford at The Well last season, who'd want to play for a guy like that? I want a coach who will actually coach during the game, rather than scream at officials the entire game and postgame.
Roundball, FU Hoopla, gman84 liked this
 #63710  by tya1
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:16 am
Expected news - McAuley has resigned

Statement from Wofford said "Wofford basketball is thankful for his service and leadership, and we wish he and his family well in future endeavors."

Meaning - we are embarased by this whole thing and look really bad so don't make it worse by asking any questions.
 #63711  by FUBeAR
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:53 am
Mid-Season Head Coach ‘resignations’ in the 2 revenue sports at a small private college.

It really couldn’t get much uglier than that, unless, something had also recently happened, like the primary benefactor of the college is found to be a racist misogynist and forced, by his peers, to divest his extremely high profile business so they won’t get any of his stink on them.

Oh wait…
 #63716  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:43 am
FUBeAR wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 12:53 am
Mid-Season Head Coach ‘resignations’ in the 2 revenue sports at a small private college.

It really couldn’t get much uglier than that, unless, something had also recently happened, like the primary benefactor of the college is found to be a racist misogynist and forced, by his peers, to divest his extremely high profile business so they won’t get any of his stink on them.

Oh wait…
That's a pretty sobering indictment of athletics administration.

Every school misses on hires from time to time. When your two major revenue sports hires are actually doing damage, though, to the point of forced resignations, that's not good.

Doubly difficult for Wofford. Wofford has punched above their weight for years, largely do to excellent coaches running their major programs and a profound sense of culture. If they don't have that, I'm not sure how they stay competitive at this level.
 #63717  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:45 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 10:22 am
cavedweller2 wrote:
The quit mentality is pretty widespread even among non athletes, so they are only employable for a few weeks at a time. Gen Z worries me. They aren’t mean like millennials, pretty easy going really, but maybe about 100 times too easy going.
Furman recruits the same generation of athletes and those dudes work their butts off and are deeply committed to the school.
Roundball, FU Hoopla, dornb and 1 others liked this
 #63718  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 9:52 am
Not sure how true this is, but this is written like it has inside information.

I doubt this was a case of McAuley just trying to "coach up" a new era of soft kids.

#63719  by FU Hoopla
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:28 am
Players might be soft sometimes, but they also value their own safety sometimes, doubt Jay will ever be coaching again he does not belong in this profession
 #63725  by The Jackal
 Sat Dec 31, 2022 11:18 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 10:28 am
Players might be soft sometimes, but they also value their own safety sometimes, doubt Jay will ever be coaching again he does not belong in this profession
I wonder sometimes whether "softness" is confused with "players now have some level of control over their health and careers and the NCAA and colleges no longer have all of the power in the relationship."
FU Hoopla, gman84 liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Matt Aldred

by apaladin

Sun May 12, 2024 1:01 am

Default Avatar Notes from all around

by Sad Din

Sat May 11, 2024 1:34 pm

User avatar Roster Rebuild...

by FurmanATT

Fri May 10, 2024 9:52 pm

Default Avatar 2025 Hoops Recruiting

by tya1

Fri May 10, 2024 5:38 pm

Default Avatar Jalen Sullinger

by Sad Din

Fri May 10, 2024 3:58 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.