• Roster Collapse

#86123  by Furmanoid
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:38 pm
As many know, I like my local D2 (Augusta) and go to lots of games. In D2 teams have always had massive turnover year to year. Lots of transfers. It’s just a whole different recruiting environment, but it’s fun. You never know who you’re gonna get. Worst to 1st isn’t even a big deal.
 #86136  by jesse174
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 6:06 pm
Paul C wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:37 am
While I agree w above comment about 3 pt shooting, it was also lack of defensive connection that also doomed us. We left more shooters wide open and gave up more easy baskets this year than in the past. Maybe those two things are linked. Lack of connectivity and team play on both ends. Too many stagnant possessions and bad 3s (lower %) as well as defensive lapses.
Agree and if you make your shots, you have more time to set your defense..so yes the two are definitely linked...also we could have attempted more 2 point shots that were open most of the time..
 #86156  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:16 am
If I were Bob I would do these three things:

1) Sign a big man that is able to spread the floor from the portal (High major D1 drop down or highly productive D2 player)

2) Sign a guard/wing to replace foster. Someone that can shoot and take a load off of JP.

3) Freshman to develop
 #86157  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:24 am
Furmanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:38 pm
As many know, I like my local D2 (Augusta) and go to lots of games. In D2 teams have always had massive turnover year to year. Lots of transfers. It’s just a whole different recruiting environment, but it’s fun. You never know who you’re gonna get. Worst to 1st isn’t even a big deal.
Gannon 3-23 last year now 30-2 this year and counting.
 #86158  by Paul C
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:26 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:

1) Sign a big man that is able to spread the floor from the portal (High major D1 drop down or highly productive D2 player)

2) Sign a guard/wing to replace foster. Someone that can shoot and take a load off of JP.

3) Freshman to develop
Don’t discount Eddrin Bronson as #2
 #86161  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:57 am
He is most definitely a X factor but I wouldn’t expect much in his first season of actaully playing
 #86167  by FUBF24
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:33 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:

3) Freshman to develop
Here are my thoughts:
1) Yes, get a good big man (I personally would want a European guy from D2 or somewhere else. European guys know how to play). If anything, I would want to get a guy who only has one more year of eligibility so as to not stunt Bowser's development
2) I think PJay Smith is the guy we need, he can be really good for us next year. I would have JP and PG and PJay at SG.
3) I do think it's odd we haven't signed any freshmen yet, we should get at least one
DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #86170  by apaladin
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:53 pm
The 2 freshmen that sat this year are big question marks. Their high schools stats are not mind boggling by any stretch but they could be and hopefully are ready after being in the program for a year. My and I think most everyones concern is JP now.
 #86171  by Sad Din
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 1:58 pm
SD remembers two things:

1. Alex Hunter practiced with the team last summer and said great things about one of the frosh
2. Recently CBR said that one of them could have played 20 mins now but they didnt want to use the redshirt

Those are two pretty good data points. And SD thinks the HS stats and pedigree was pretty good
 #86172  by tya1
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 2:33 pm
I am encouraged by the fact that both redshirts were star players for winners. Humphries was a top player for a two time state champion in Minnesota and Bronson was the star for a team that finished second in the state of Florida. Bronson hit a shot with less than 10 seconds to go that gave his team the lead but a guy for the other team hit one at the buzzer for the win. I like guys who know how to win. Joe Williams use to say that was something he valued highly. Big game players, clutch guys, winners.
 #86173  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 3:16 pm
I am confident in the two freshman will be good players! I woudl much rather take a guy who produces in a tough division in competitive states then a guy who overproduces in a lesser high school league
Jasper, DoomedDin1127 liked this
 #86174  by Jasper
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:34 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
I am confident in the two freshman will be good players! I woudl much rather take a guy who produces in a tough division in competitive states then a guy who overproduces in a lesser high school league
I could not agree more. The level of play is extremely important in assessing young players. What concerns me is why 2 freshman coming from what you guys are saying are strong leagues were redshirted on a team that was so scoring deprived. My concept of why anyone even uses expensive red shirts is because the player needs seasoning. Since all he did was practice this season, won’t he still need seasoning next year? At 20g’s a year? There are freshman playing all over majors. To me, you put your best 5 guys on the court no matter what year they are in.
 #86181  by tya1
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:10 pm
Jasper wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:34 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
I could not agree more. The level of play is extremely important in assessing young players. What concerns me is why 2 freshman coming from what you guys are saying are strong leagues were redshirted on a team that was so scoring deprived. My concept of why anyone even uses expensive red shirts is because the player needs seasoning. Since all he did was practice this season, won’t he still need seasoning next year? At 20g’s a year? There are freshman playing all over majors. To me, you put your best 5 guys on the court no matter what year they are in.

I think that Richey likes being able to redshirt guys when possible. We had 10 veterans coming back, including Molnar, and might have had a problem working two more guys into the rotation- especially rookies. Bowser had to play, because of our shortages up front. Mounce and Gurley redshirted and it helped them get ready to contribute at an earlier age. Slawson did not redshirt and also did not contribute much as a freshman. He improved every year though and was obviously at his best as a senior. If not for the extra COVID season would he have shown enough to be an NBA draft pick? That extra year in the program was good for him and the team.
dornb, KingPaladin liked this
 #86187  by The Jackal
 Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:46 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:

3) Freshman to develop

This is my periodic reminder that every mid-major in the country wants a floor-stretching big man than can run, play down low, and shoot the three.

Recent Topics

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Roundball

Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:07 pm

Default Avatar 2024 -WORSE THAN I THOUGHT

by Roundball

Sat Jun 15, 2024 4:06 pm

User avatar Preseason '24

by AstroDin

Fri Jun 14, 2024 3:30 pm

User avatar Notes from all around

by FurmanATT

Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:08 pm

Default Avatar PreSeason Poll

by gofurman

Thu Jun 13, 2024 12:22 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.