• Roster Collapse

#86086  by Alley Gym
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:14 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:08 pm
Alley Gym wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:53 pm
Marcus graduated in May of 2023 and started a Master’s program here with the intent of playing 2 more seasons. He would have gone through Senior Night at the end of next season.
You expecting more exits like AW as you mentioned in the original post?
I still would expect AW, but I don’t think he’s made a decision one way or the other. Him and Richey were not on the same page at all this season, starting in preseason, and had issues. However, Richey is working very hard to keep him here.

The statement made by someone who knows was “around half” of the team was considering it due to unhappiness with Coach Richey. Some of that is probably due to high emotions right after the season, so after things cool a bit maybe some will decide to stay.

This was definitely Richey’s most frustrating season as a coach in my opinion, and there were times in practices or games where he felt he wasn’t getting to the team and expressed his frustrations as such. I find it odd that there are locker room issues after last season’s success, Bahamas trip, new Timmons coming, etc. One of our strengths has always been player development and retention, and to struggle with this year is puzzling.

Either way, I feel like our program is in a good spot to attract some guys from the portal and a make a run next year, assuming JP stays, and I haven’t heard anything to suggest he wouldn’t.
 #86093  by Sad Din
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:50 pm
Just one request for MF... Pls no west coast teams. Cant stay up that late

#86094  by cavedweller2
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:38 pm
I hope he has huge success and lights it up!
 #86099  by jesse174
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 9:59 pm
Sad Din wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:07 pm
where are they now?

Gurley transferred to Alabama (remember Gurley was going to be All-Everything in SoCon)
Slawson stayed (Slaw was All-Everything in SoCon)

Just sayin'
Gurley didnt even get drafted to my knowledge...so how good was that move...he should have stayed at Furman but some players think the grass is greener...not always true!!Plus they don't always appreciate the time coaches spend improving their game.
 #86100  by HB88
 Fri Mar 15, 2024 10:25 pm
I understand the thought but would argue that Slawson had more upside and versatility than Gurley ever did. I just don’t think staying at Furman would have altered his NBA trajectory significantly And FWIW Gurley got to compete and get significant playing time for one of the best teams in the country and play in some of the most lively venues around. I think they both won and made the most of their opportunities.
 #86102  by fu77fan
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:08 am
According to what I read, the portal is open from March 18 until May 1st - for 45 days. That is a long time.

I do not understand how people have already entered the portal if it doesn’t open until next Monday.
 #86105  by apaladin
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:07 am
fu77fan wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 12:08 am
According to what I read, the portal is open from March 18 until May 1st - for 45 days. That is a long time.

I do not understand how people have already entered the portal if it doesn’t open until next Monday.
Grad students can enter at any time. There is also a five day soft opening where the undergrads can enter if their cosch leaves or gets fired. Hold your breath next week.
 #86106  by gman84
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 9:16 am
Alley Gym wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 6:14 pm
Dins&Heels wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 3:08 pm
Alley Gym wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 2:53 pm
Marcus graduated in May of 2023 and started a Master’s program here with the intent of playing 2 more seasons. He would have gone through Senior Night at the end of next season.
You expecting more exits like AW as you mentioned in the original post?
I still would expect AW, but I don’t think he’s made a decision one way or the other. Him and Richey were not on the same page at all this season, starting in preseason, and had issues. However, Richey is working very hard to keep him here.

The statement made by someone who knows was “around half” of the team was considering it due to unhappiness with Coach Richey. Some of that is probably due to high emotions right after the season, so after things cool a bit maybe some will decide to stay.

This was definitely Richey’s most frustrating season as a coach in my opinion, and there were times in practices or games where he felt he wasn’t getting to the team and expressed his frustrations as such. I find it odd that there are locker room issues after last season’s success, Bahamas trip, new Timmons coming, etc. One of our strengths has always been player development and retention, and to struggle with this year is puzzling.

Either way, I feel like our program is in a good spot to attract some guys from the portal and a make a run next year, assuming JP stays, and I haven’t heard anything to suggest he wouldn’t.
Just my opinion, not based on any concrete facts. Coaches try to get through to a team. Team leaders then help convey the message to the team. The team lost two great players and team leaders from last year. Sometimes the chemistry just isn’t there.
 #86108  by jesse174
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:13 am
They simply could not make threes this year. Its a make or miss league and we missed most of the time..we need to improve our shooting for sure.
 #86109  by Paul C
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:37 am
While I agree w above comment about 3 pt shooting, it was also lack of defensive connection that also doomed us. We left more shooters wide open and gave up more easy baskets this year than in the past. Maybe those two things are linked. Lack of connectivity and team play on both ends. Too many stagnant possessions and bad 3s (lower %) as well as defensive lapses.
apaladin, jesse174 liked this
 #86110  by Davemeister
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:53 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 pm
AW to the best of my knowledge is staying!

Good! With the departure of MF, AW will surely start for us next year - IF he can stay on CBR's good side.
 #86112  by Sad Din
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 11:58 am
Davemeister wrote:
Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:53 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2024 7:00 pm
AW to the best of my knowledge is staying!

Good! With the departure of MF, AW will surely start for us next year - IF he can stay on CBR's good side.
IMHO Williams has better stats than Foster at the same stage of career. Williams is more vocal and plays bigger.

If he can use this off season to build up more skills and be a leader on the team he could more than fill in for Foster's departure

Hughey has to develop also, Vandy has to get stronger. They all have stuff to work on. The summer is to make champions
jesse174 liked this
 #86120  by FurmanFan23
 Sat Mar 16, 2024 1:25 pm
VanderWal needs to work on his shot. Multiple times this season he passed up open three pointers…