• Searching for the right transfer

#70039  by Furmanoid
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:16 pm
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:31 am
Do you realize how insane it is to think that you've figured out a magical way to improve Furman's basketball team by looking at high-level statistics that you don't even understand? lol
Who said they found a magical new anything? You’re the one saying that all other things being equal, shooting percentage doesn’t matter. No high level stats involved. The idea that 34% and 37% are the same thing does go over my head though. I admit that.

Look ALL I’m getting at is that many coaches have to build a game plan based on who they can reasonably expect to recruit. That doesn’t always mean they are running their favorite offense, it’s just the one that fits their guys. I’m thinking/hoping that CBR has now put himself in a place where he can now recruit who he wants. And he MAY decide to go in a different direction or not. I just wonder which way he’ll play it. I see two main options, but maybe there are more. A team of really good 6’5” jump shooters might be an interesting wrinkle. Don’t get why this triggers you.

But I applaud your comments about the CLP speaker disaster. I’m a fan whether you like it or not.
 #70042  by youwouldno
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:03 pm
Every coach wants to shoot better. Every coach wants to pass better. Every coach wants to rebound better. Etc etc etc

Everything is a trade off. If you want more shooting you have to give up something else. Richey and his staff have analyzed how they want to play and determined what the trades should be.

There is no possibility that any fan on here can suggest better trades, because even if any of us were capable, we don't have the data. We have high level statistics only - far, far less than what the coaching staff works with.
 #70043  by paladinfan12
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:26 pm
Unsure what Repass and Lawrence will bring to the table next year, but if they weren't good enough to play this year, I'm not sure we can really count on them to turn in significant quality minutes.

The teams that gave us trouble this year were teams like SDSU - extremely tall and athletic, able to neutralize fast break points, and quick enough to recover when they got beat by Furman's ball movement. The teams with the 7' centers we were OK against because they couldn't really keep up with the pace. I think the need is someone who plays on the wing, is 6-8, and can defend. I think that would give us a nice extra dimension to shut down a big gun like Slawson did for us this year, but also allow you to play Van Der Wal and Hien down low against P5 opponents.
 #70046  by MNORM
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:15 pm
paladinfan12 wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:26 pm
Unsure what Repass and Lawrence will bring to the table next year, but if they weren't good enough to play this year, I'm not sure we can really count on them to turn in significant quality minutes.

The teams that gave us trouble this year were teams like SDSU - extremely tall and athletic, able to neutralize fast break points, and quick enough to recover when they got beat by Furman's ball movement. The teams with the 7' centers we were OK against because they couldn't really keep up with the pace. I think the need is someone who plays on the wing, is 6-8, and can defend. I think that would give us a nice extra dimension to shut down a big gun like Slawson did for us this year, but also allow you to play Van Der Wal and Hien down low against P5 opponents.
...a Noah Gurley type with maybe an extra 10-15 pounds.
paladinfan12 liked this
 #70047  by Paul C
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:22 pm
I’d say we need a 2G that’s got the willingness and athleticism to play great perimeter D, can shoot 40% from 3 and take the ball to the hoop and finish.
 #70049  by FUBeAR
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 6:14 pm
Paul C wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 5:22 pm
I’d say we need a 2G that’s got the willingness and athleticism to play great perimeter D, can shoot 40% from 3 and take the ball to the hoop and finish.
Sorry, Paul C, FUBeAR's eligibility has expired, but you nailed his GAME, spot on!
Paul C liked this
 #70051  by apaladin
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 pm
I think CBR is pretty smart. The number one reason we have been successful since he took over is shooting the 3. We are not going ti become a dominant inside team. Remember 3 is greater than 2. FYI we can forget Shedrick he will be highly paid to go somewhere as several bigtime teams have already contacted him such as LSU.
FU Hoopla liked this
 #70052  by FurmAlum
 Thu Mar 30, 2023 10:57 pm
My take on this is that Foster is close to being the 2 guard that can do all 3 of the things that Paul C. mentions. But he is also very effective at the 3 small forward.

Which way CBR goes might depend on who he can get. If it is an elite shooting guard he might go that way, if he can get an elite big man then he might do that. I like the idea of a Gurley type with another 15-20 pounds.

CBR knows more than we do and I trust his judgement.

I still have not given up on J.Lawrence. If he can finally be healthy he could be a fine player. Repass could also be the big man of the future. Only CBR knows how he has performed in practice this year and what is his future potential. Remember we are a "developmental program". The Slawson we all see today is light years from where he was as a freshman.

It will interesting how all this plays out.
din23, FU Hoopla, furpop16 and 1 others liked this
 #70063  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 1:53 am
apaladin wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:13 pm
I think CBR is pretty smart. The number one reason we have been successful since he took over is shooting the 3. We are not going ti become a dominant inside team. Remember 3 is greater than 2. FYI we can forget Shedrick he will be highly paid to go somewhere as several bigtime teams have already contacted him such as LSU.
Exactly, any big guy transfer like the UVA guy that has proven any ability to play decent ball is most likely headed P6, there is just not very many of those type guys out there

I'd much rather take a proven guard than an unproven big guy
 #70086  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 2:40 pm
Thinking I'd prefer a proven 5th year D2 guy to come in, will be experienced and come in with a chip on his shoulder...................
 #70089  by Furmanoid
 Fri Mar 31, 2023 3:32 pm
I lean toward those guys as well. I watch ridiculous shooters all year who are for some reason stuck in DII. A free throw is a free throw and an open 3 is an open 3 regardless of division. There are likely be all-conference guys looking for a place like FU to land.

I wish we could have gotten Augusta’s 7’1” guy who has an unblockable hook and doesn’t miss free throws, but I imagine he’ll go try the NBA for a week or two and then be off the Europe.
FU Hoopla liked this