• FU Hoops August Bahamas Trip

#74030  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 4:43 am
So with the Bahamas games in the books, if I had to guess the current rotation battles (speculation) I would say it lines up like this..............

Starting 5:
Pegues
Foster
Williams
VanderWal
Hien

First guard off bench:
Smith
First big off bench:
Hughey (He is still getting healthy and did not play in Bahamas)

Next 4 battling for minutes:
Whitt
Bronson
Molnar
Bowser

(This gives us possible rotation's of 7-11 players on any given night)

Top redshirt candidate:
Humphries
 #74037  by youwouldno
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:58 am
Foster played the 2 guard spot only 20% of his minutes last season (essentially Bothwell's backup there while starting at 3). Likely that Smith starts at the 2 and carries over the same arrangement. Whitt again backs up the PG spot.
 #74041  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:18 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 9:58 am
Foster played the 2 guard spot only 20% of his minutes last season (essentially Bothwell's backup there while starting at 3). Likely that Smith starts at the 2 and carries over the same arrangement. Whitt again backs up the PG spot.

I thought similar, until I realized how small that makes us, we need more size than having Pegues and Smith starting the game...............

So having Smith as first guard off the bench for offensive fire power makes the most sense...........

Also, Foster played as the 4 two seasons ago, then he got moved to the 3, and yes now its time for him to move to the 2 spot this year ;)

Keep in mind we won't have a 'big athletic stud' playing the 4 for us this year like we did with Slawson, that position is taking a hit in the size department..............
 #74042  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 10:25 am
Plus I see no way you keep Williams and VanderWal out of the starting group, that lineup has the most potential moving forward to compete with the 'Big Boys' come March..........
 #74043  by youwouldno
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:04 am
What makes sense to you isn't necessarily the same as what makes sense to the coaching staff. In particular, Richey's offense relies on spacing the floor by shooting 3s - something Smith is better at than anyone else on the team.

It's also extremely unlikely Smith heard from 50 D-I schools the day he entered the portal and picked somewhere to sit on the bench.

VanderWal is a very talented young player, but nothing in his statistical profile or visual observation from last year suggests he should start ahead of Williams or Hien. But I do expect VanderWal to play ~50% of the time as 6th man.

Note also that while Foster might be the most well rounded player on the team, skills wise, he's not a distributor, which is a major problem for the 2 guard in this offense.
 #74044  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:14 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:04 am
What makes sense to you isn't necessarily the same as what makes sense to the coaching staff. In particular, Richey's offense relies on spacing the floor by shooting 3s - something Smith is better at than anyone else on the team.

It's also extremely unlikely Smith heard from 50 D-I schools the day he entered the portal and picked somewhere to sit on the bench.

VanderWal is a very talented young player, but nothing in his statistical profile or visual observation from last year suggests he should start ahead of Williams or Hien. But I do expect VanderWal to play ~50% of the time as 6th man.

Note also that while Foster might be the most well rounded player on the team, skills wise, he's not a distributor, which is a major problem for the 2 guard in this offense.

Obviously I am only giving my opinion, guess what so are you, either one of us could be correct and the other wrong, I am well aware of this fact so just keep that in mind for yourself as well..............
 #74045  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:16 am
Of course I trust whatever line-up Richey rolls out will be our best option to win.............

I do like the fact that we seem to have multiple options................
 #74047  by youwouldno
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:43 am
The difference is that my speculation is based on facts while yours is based on nothing. How about this, we make a bet - if I'm right, you're capped at one post per day for all basketball season. If you are, I have to add a like to all your posts for basketball season. Deal?
 #74048  by FU Hoopla
 Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:50 am
youwouldno wrote:
Thu Aug 10, 2023 11:43 am
The difference is that my speculation is based on facts while yours is based on nothing. How about this, we make a bet - if I'm right, you're capped at one post per day for all basketball season. If you are, I have to add a like to all your posts for basketball season. Deal?
I knew you would come back saying something asinine like this....... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I don't give a crap who is right and who is wrong, I am here to be a fan of FU Basketball and that's all, go play games with someone else ;)
HammerTKE liked this

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.