• 2023 Recruiting

#54759  by Roundball
 Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 pm
tya1 wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:11 am
Tommy Humphries, the 6'5" wing from Minnesota is coming to Furman Wednesday on an official visit.
In looking at his Twitter posts, he has received offers from some big schools.
 #54762  by DungeonRealm
 Tue Aug 02, 2022 6:12 pm
Roundball wrote:
Tue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 pm
tya1 wrote:
Tommy Humphries, the 6'5" wing from Minnesota is coming to Furman Wednesday on an official visit.
In looking at his Twitter posts, he has received offers from some big schools.

He has offers from Furman, Winthrop, Seattle, George Mason, Southern Illinois, Cal Poly, New Orleans
 #54767  by Fuonetime
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:13 am
tya1 wrote:
A big Furman welcome to Tommy Humphries today on his visit to FU!!!!!!
furpop16 liked this
 #54770  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:30 pm
Fuonetime wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 9:13 am
tya1 wrote:
A big Furman welcome to Tommy Humphries today on his visit to FU!!!!!!
We all wish him a great visit at Furman.!
 #54774  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 12:53 pm
I expect Mr. Humphries has solid reasoning behind any school he may be transferring to.

Don’t know if it’s any advantage or disadvantage that Furman appears to be a very different kind of school than the university from which he is transferring and also than the other 6 offers he has reportedly received.

Seattle, SIU, Winthrop, GMU, UNO, are each very close to or in NBA cities. (Cal Poly and Furman each are 2 hours to 3.5 hours from multiple NBA cities.).

All the other schools are at least twice Furman’s size, and most are even much larger than that.

Many of the schools are in conferences that require very distant regular season travel schedules.

(This is probably not particularly relevant: None of the schools have FBS football like Minnesota has; Furman, SIU, and Cal Poly are each FCS in football; and the other schools that have offered him do not have football.)

I expect he will be very welcome at Furman, by the entire Furman community.

I am not aware that any of the other schools have a coaching staff any better than Furman’s.

I am not aware that any of the other schools are expecting to have a more exciting and more meaningful 2022-2023 season than Furman.

Best wishes to Tommy Humphries, and best wishes to Furman.
 #54778  by apaladin
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 1:27 pm
affirm wrote:
I expect Mr. Humphries has solid reasoning behind any school he may be transferring to.

Don’t know if it’s any advantage or disadvantage that Furman appears to be a very different kind of school than the university from which he is transferring and also than the other 6 offers he has reportedly received.

Seattle, SIU, Winthrop, GMU, UNO, are each very close to or in NBA cities. (Cal Poly and Furman each are 2 hours to 3.5 hours from multiple NBA cities.).

All the other schools are at least twice Furman’s size, and most are even much larger than that.

Many of the schools are in conferences that require very distant regular season travel schedules.

(This is probably not particularly relevant: None of the schools have FBS football like Minnesota has; Furman, SIU, and Cal Poly are each FCS in football; and the other schools that have offered him do not have football.)

I am not aware that any of the other schools have a coaching staff any better than Furman’s.

I am not aware that any of the other schools are expecting to have a more exciting and more meaningful 2022-2023 season than Furman.

Affirm, I think you are misreading this. He is from Minnesota but still in HS. Not transferring from the University of Minnesota.
MNORM liked this
 #54782  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 2:31 pm
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:

Affirm, I think you are misreading this. He is from Minnesota but still in HS. Not transferring from the University of Minnesota.
I apologize if you are correct.
I thought the tweet says “Tommy Humphries of D1 Minnesota”, and so that was why I thought Mr. Humphries was transferring away from the University of Minnesota.
 #54785  by DungeonRealm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:

I thought the tweet says “Tommy Humphries of D1 Minnesota”, and so that was why I thought Mr. Humphries was transferring away from the University of Minnesota.

D1 Minn. I believe is the name of his AAU team
 #54791  by Affirm
 Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:03 pm
DungeonRealm wrote:
Wed Aug 03, 2022 3:16 pm
affirm wrote:
apaladin wrote:
affirm wrote:

D1 Minn. I believe is the name of his AAU team
Thanks.
I still hope that he and Furman University would be a good match, and that he will benefit Furman and not any of those other schools, especially Winthrop.
 #54826  by Affirm
 Thu Aug 04, 2022 4:24 pm
I like to correct my egregious errors when I know about them.
I do not wish to state as a truth something that I know is not true.
Therefore, since I assumed SIU was very near to an NBA city, I have to say that I now have learned that St. Louis has not had an NBA team since 54 years ago.
 #54850  by Fuonetime
 Fri Aug 05, 2022 10:07 am
With the recruitment and visitation of Tommy Humphries, it is exciting that FU is expanding their recruiting range into states such as Minnesota, Missouri etc. as they look for the type of player that would be a good fit for FU basketball. Keep working the adjacent territory and continue to expand the map. Great effort by our coaching staff. Go ‘Dins!
Roundball liked this
 #54865  by DungeonRealm
 Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:57 pm
Wonder if we have any other official visits lined up with the guys we have offered?
 #54872  by tya1
 Fri Aug 05, 2022 9:19 pm
6'10 Riley Allenspach has committed to Western Kentucky. Normally you tend to think there is an advantage in being an early offer to a player, but not in this case. Western Kentucky is the most recent of Allenspach's 16 offers. I wonder if there is a family connection involved. I am not 100% certain, but I think Allenspach is the son of Brian Allenspach, who began his career at Davidson but only played one year there before transferring to Western Kentucky.

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by apaladin

Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:18 am

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.