• Furman Culture

#72213  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 12:15 am
We gotta keep pushing this thing forward with vigor and laser focused intent! Interesting to look at Davidson, if you take out their Elite Eight run season with Steph Curry they have gone 0-12 in their other NCAA tourney appearances over the last 53 years, now is truly our time to do something special and build a mid-major power here unlike any other.
din23 liked this
 #72219  by FurmanFan23
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:33 am
How does Furman rank with other SOCON basketball and football programs? I would assume we beat them in all of the categories from the tweet but idk
 #72221  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
How does Furman rank with other SOCON basketball and football programs? I would assume we beat them in all of the categories from the tweet but idk
List of Southern Conference men's basketball champions
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_S ... _champions

List of Southern Conference football champions
 #72222  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:53 am
Even more important than any of that, who is the best right now: FU

Even more important than even that, who is setup to be the best moving forward: FU

:D :D :D
 #72224  by soconjohn
 Sun Jun 04, 2023 5:46 pm
A healthy Huff is something they (Samford) didn't get to see in Greenville last year...Hopefully both top QBs healthy for that game in Oct...As for hoops, what Samford has done is impressive, but Furman's program has staying power much like Davidson...For whatever reason, when Davidson got to the Big Dance in other years that didn't include Curry, they weren't built to win in the NCAA Tournament...They had players to win multiple SoCon championships, but were always out-athleted on a bigger stage, and when their shots didn't fall, they became one-dimensional. Furman was athletic and they had so many ways they could beat you...Not just this past year, but really it's been the case over about the past five years. Furman's versatility will offer them a good chance to get more wins in the NCAA Tournament when they get back there in the future...I am convinced that the type of recruit Furman is getting now...The type of athleticism with guys like Noah Gurley, Jalen Slawson and JP Pegues has happened only a few times in my lifetime...Probably have to go back to George Singleton era to find the last time when we were getting really athletic guys consistently...Actually, Larry Davis or Joe Cantafio had a pretty athletic team or two in the mid-1990s, with guys like Andre Kerr and Chuck Vincent. Maybe one of Butch Estes' teams were as well...Tracy Garrick, Chris Bass and Bruce Evans were all decently athletic and then shortly thereafter, George Ward and Tazari Green...But its been a rare type of player Furman has looked for until Bob took over.
dornb liked this
 #72384  by FU Hoopla
 Fri Jun 09, 2023 7:45 am
FU Hoopla wrote:
Sun Jun 04, 2023 11:52 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
List of Southern Conference men's basketball champions

List of Southern Conference football champions

So FU win's SoCon this season and we tie ETSU with 8 ;)
 #72419  by FU Hoopla
 Sun Jun 11, 2023 10:54 am
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:45 am
Am I the only one that still goes back at least once a week and watches the end of the Va. game and still get a thrill from it?

I hear ya 100%! A true classic to revel in :D

For me, I also like the fact knowing there is even more out there for us to achieve as well!

#72466  by HammerTKE
 Tue Jun 13, 2023 4:16 pm
apaladin wrote:
Sat Jun 10, 2023 2:45 am
Am I the only one that still goes back at least once a week and watches the end of the Va. game and still get a thrill from it?
My wife and I watched the last 12 minutes of the game over the weekend. Even knowing the outcome, we were still sitting there in awe over how we were able to win that game. I doubt there will be many months that go by for the rest of my life when I don't at least watch the last two minutes of that game.

We also re-watched the Samford game to win the regular season SoCon title over the weekend.
FU Hoopla, apaladin, dornb liked this