• Rosters around the SoCon

#71843  by tya1
 Wed May 17, 2023 10:28 pm
A couple more SoCon roster slots filled.

Wofford signed Quentin Meza, a 6'0" pg from Utah. He scored over 2000 points in his high school career and was Utah high school player of the year this season.

UNCG picked up 6'9" 210 transfer Tim Ceaser from Utah Valley. He is originally from Arkansas and started his college career at Coastal Carolina before going to Utah Valley. Ceasar averaged about 4 ppg and 3 rebounds in 17 minutes per game this year. He hit only 37% of his FGs this season, which seems low for a 6'9" guy until you see that more than half of his shot attempts were threes and he hit less than 29% from range.

=
 #71844  by FU Hoopla
 Wed May 17, 2023 10:53 pm
Bottom of the barrel signings happening all around the SoCon just so teams can fill roster spots..........
Last edited by FU Hoopla on Tue May 23, 2023 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #71911  by tya1
 Fri May 19, 2023 8:25 pm
Interesting transfer pickup for Samford - Rylan Jones, 6'0" senior from Holladay, Utah. He is coming from Utah State. He was there two years and before that he started at Utah. Jones averaged over 9 ppg and 4.5 assists as a freshman at Utah while playing over 31 minutes per game. His scoring and playing time dropped as a sophomore and he transferred to Utah State. He scored about 6.5 ppg and assisted 4.5 per game as a junior there but had another small dip in playing time, scoring and assists last season and only played in 13 games after playing in 31 the year before. He is a career 35% three point shooter, 81% FT shooter and 4.2 assist man. I wonder if he has had a cronic injury situation. Unusual to see someone appear to decline after their freshman year like that.

That is three guys going to the SoCon from Utah in a week. One high schooler and two transfers. More than the previous three years.
 #71959  by FU Hoopla
 Tue May 23, 2023 1:51 pm
Samford now called Tranfer U, 7 or 8 out of 13 scholarships going to transfers, will take just about anyone over there it seems.

Do they now lead even schools like ETSU, WCU and UTC in transfers taken?

I am thinking WCU has about 8 as well.................
 #71970  by tya1
 Tue May 23, 2023 6:45 pm
Zach Loveday is listed at 7'0" 240 on Baylor's roster. He was a a highly recruited player in high school. Loveday had over a dozen listed offers from P5 type programs. That included offers from Ohio State, Purdue, Indiana, Iowa, Florida, N. C. State, Stanford, Xavier, and Cincinnati. He is from Gallipolis, OH. He had limited playing time at Baylor - only played 3 minutes per game in 13 games this season and about the same in his first two years. Should have two years of eligibility left. I don't remember seeing him play any but I suspect he was a little slow for Baylor. They like a fast style of play.

Two of ETSU's transfers have picked new schools - 6'9" Josh Taylor is going to Georgia State. 5'10" DeAnthony Tipler is headed to Texas-RioGrande Valley. Some of their fans think they will get D. J. Hughes, a 6'6" 230 sophomore at Butler as an incoming transfer.
 #71972  by FU Hoopla
 Tue May 23, 2023 6:57 pm
Most of these guys like that Samford dude played less than some walk-ons get to play at FU :lol:
 #71977  by tya1
 Tue May 23, 2023 9:26 pm
Shocking but true news - there are guys who have gotten a lot of playing time for the Paladins who might get less playing time at some P5 teams than walk-ons get here.
Gurley averaged about 15 ppg , 5 rpg, and 29 minutes per game his final two years for the Paladins and only 5 ppg, 3 rpg, and 15 minutes at Alabama this year.

Malachi Smith was SoCon POY at UTC for their conference champioship team but was essentially a 6th man for Gonzaga, although he was playing well late in the season for them and had a good NCAA tournament.
din23 liked this
 #71978  by FU Hoopla
 Tue May 23, 2023 10:50 pm
tya1 wrote:
Shocking but true news - there are guys who have gotten a lot of playing time for the Paladins who might get less playing time at some P5 teams than walk-ons get here.
Gurley averaged about 15 ppg , 5 rpg, and 29 minutes per game his final two years for the Paladins and only 5 ppg, 3 rpg, and 15 minutes at Alabama this year.

Malachi Smith was SoCon POY at UTC for their conference champioship team but was essentially a 6th man for Gonzaga, although he was playing well late in the season for them and had a good NCAA tournament.

Zach Loveday, a dude that has basically never played ANY meaningful minutes/seconds in 3 years of college basketball, let's just say I am not going to lose any sleep over him, and I would certainly not compare his career production at Baylor or any of these other new SoCon P5 transfers to that of Gurley at Alabama or Smith at Gonzaga ;)
 #71979  by furpop16
 Wed May 24, 2023 12:44 am
tya1 wrote:

And can you imagine what will be going through his head if/when Jalen Slawson gets picked up in the 2nd round?

(Lordy I hope so ... CBR will be preaching fire & brimstone "Let that be a lesson to y'all !!")
FU Hoopla liked this
 #71980  by FurmanFan23
 Wed May 24, 2023 6:32 am
I stand corrected. Samford does have a good class. Our biggest weakness is our 4 and 5 spots. Hopefully Garrett will be able to lock this guy down.
 #71983  by FU Hoopla
 Wed May 24, 2023 11:42 am
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 6:32 am
I stand corrected. Samford does have a good class. Our biggest weakness is our 4 and 5 spots. Hopefully Garrett will be able to lock this guy down.
Don't be surprised when that guy barely plays, he can't score and he reminds me of that big dude at mercer that was too big and slow to even get minutes against us lol, they were just desperate and had to take someone so they found a guy late that nobody else wanted.
 #71984  by FurmanFan23
 Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm
Do you have anything positive to say about opposing teams FU Hoopla. Our opponents do some stuff right sometimes my guy.
din23 liked this
 #71986  by FU Hoopla
 Wed May 24, 2023 1:38 pm
FurmanFan23 wrote:
Wed May 24, 2023 12:55 pm
Do you have anything positive to say about opposing teams FU Hoopla. Our opponents do some stuff right sometimes my guy.

I can't say anything positive about players that have never actually done anything positive to date, most of these pickups have shown nothing so far, a few will pan out in the SoCon but most of them won't be a factor, that's just the way it is.....................

Recent Topics

User avatar Changing times ...

by FUBeAR

Tue Jun 25, 2024 6:54 pm

User avatar Allie Buchalski Comes Up Short

by Flagman

Tue Jun 25, 2024 11:16 am

Default Avatar 2024 Football Schedule - unofficial

by Affirm

Tue Jun 25, 2024 9:00 am

Default Avatar Preseason '24

by The Jackal

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:11 pm

User avatar Jennings Advances

by Flagman

Mon Jun 24, 2024 10:03 pm

Twitter

About Us

GoPaladins.com is the latest iteration of The Unofficial Furman Football Page. Launched in August of 1996, The UFFP welcomes fans of all FCS football teams - and fans of the more inferior sports, too - for discussion, cameraderie, and even the occasional smack talk.

For example, Furman has nearly twice as many Southern Conference football championships as the next best SoCon member, and over three times as many as The Citadel....which is why they must carry our luggage

GoPaladins.com is not affiliated with Furman University or its athletics programs.